Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 12.16.13

Making daylilies bloom again

Several varieties of daylily (Stella d'Oro, Blackeyed Stella, Happy Returns, etc) are known as reblooming daylilies. Their first bloom period is just about over here in GA. To encourage further blooming, immediately remove the seed pods, if present, and fertilize with liquid plant food. This will encourage the growth of new leaves, new tubers and new flower stems!
105 Comments Displaying 15 of 105 comments | See Previous
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Emma Santoro-Adkison I think you should post photos of what your husband has accomplished!
  • Some of the pictures . Enjoy.~!
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Thanks for sharing, Emma.
  • Linda San Antonio, TX
    Thank You So Much! They are the only ones in my garden not blooming.
  • The Red Canna seem to be late this year. Perhaps all the rain & lack of sunshine. Finally they are beginning to bloom. Hopefully we can get some fertilizer on them soon.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks! I needed this information. My Stella D'Oro's are not looking good right now.
  • Darlene Littleton Mansfield, OH
    I'm always disappointed in my Stellas. I will try this!
  • How far back do you cut off the seed pods? I'm garden illiterate but I really want to learn. My biggest area I think is kniwing when and how to dead head or cut back
  • Peg Cold Spring, NY
    Twana, you can snip off the entire stem on reblooming day lilies. It should grow new flower stem. I give them a dose of Bloom Booster too.
  • Kari Samuel De Forest, WI
    @Twana Jernigan Allaway - I deadhead almost EVERYTHING in my gardens! Tulips, daffodils, morning glories, lily, lavender, coreopsis, cleome, hosta, daisy and even my lilac! I remove spent flower blooms on all my plants... it seems to send everything in
  • hi all, I,m a daylily farmer. Sometimes a daylily will not bloom because it is planted too deep. the crown should be no more than 2 inches below the soil line.
  • Bonnie Bassett Hinsdale, NH
    I have some happy returns and they are re-blooming but I have been wondering if I should fertilize them what type or strength fertilizer is best for the daylilies I have some fish oil fertilizer is that good?
  • Bonnie Bassett Hinsdale, NH
    Is it true that perennials do not like or need high nitrogen fertilizers ?
  • I'd like to see a picture of hémérocallis named new smyrna"
  • Courtney T Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    I'm back to report that I am getting some light reblooming of my Stella Doras this year. Last year after they bloomed I went out and cut off all the pod stems almost to the ground. I got no reblooming. This year I just popped off those pods after they