Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 04.15.14

A little walkway out of pallet boards

This quick little project really couldn't be easier! Reclaimed pallet boards were used to create a new walkway through a flower bed. The planks make it an absolute dream to weed by simply lifting the applicable board, and are just high enough to clear any water run off. And yes, they are staying in place and have shown no rot in over 3 years thus far.

#Bestof2012

#ItchingForSpring

#Recycle

#OutdoorProjects

#BeforeandAfter

#SummerStyle

#CurbAppeal

Time: 1 Day Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/pallet-wood-walkway-all-prettied-up.html

76 Comments Displaying 15 of 76 comments | See Previous
  • Yvette Gerace Warren, MI
    I'm SO doin this, I've been looking this kind of idea all this Spring - I have 2 areas that need this. Front and back yard!
  • Laurel Bakos-McCandlish White Lake, MI
    Loved this idea. Tried it myself but found that some of the pallet wood warped or the easily caught my toes of my shoes and would dislodge. Going to add a rail system underneath (like a railroad) and put sections back in to place. Mulch will cover up the
  • Jan Arlington, TX
    I should do this..there are p,enty of broken pallets where I work and all they do is toss them...I have two floer beds and 2 dogs,,this will help send them in the right direction
  • Laurel Bakos-McCandlish , that sounds like a great fix! My boards were a little on the deeper side so part of them is slightly embedded into the soil. They truly don't move. I lucked out I guess!
  • Anne gaddis Strafford, MO
    i saw a post on my face where thay just dug round holes in the ground about 3 inches deep put in samll amt of gravel and poured in concrete, instant pavers. i havent tried it yetbut am going to. also have done the pallett thing works great.
  • Cynthia Dawsonville, GA
    I'd only lay them on sand since termites won't burrow through sand.
  • Irish53 Hicksville, NY
    If you lay the pallet upside down on the ground then take off the end boards. Reattach them to the open sides you can make a container garden that needs little soil to grow anything except maybe root vegetables.
  • Great idea. Excited to use this in my butterfly garden. Do I need to put sand or anything under them first?
  • Saba, you certainly could! I didn't need to as the earth took hold just enough but sand is a great idea.
  • Arelis S Marietta, GA
    Great idea, looks Great. Do you have to add anything under it? Where do you get or buy them from(Pallets )?
  • Arelis S, it's just soil under these boards. They've been just fine! I find pallets from a firetruck manufacturer I frequently work near. Check out some industrial areas, any place that ships in big stuff ought to have lots of pallets.
  • Joanne Calfee Chicago, IL
    Do you have to treat the pallet boards with anything?
    • Joanne Calfee I personally didn't treat these and they seem to be holding up fine after 3 years. I'm assuming they may already be treated lumber but not certain. Treatment would be a good idea for most pallet wood you see out there, just in case.
  • Suzanne Tate Dunlap, IL
    Great Idea!! Looks so quaint and inviting. Awesome job!
  • Teri Ferndale, WA
    I did this a few years ago, but in the northwest where we get alot of rain they are super slippery. Almost broke my neck on them. Watch out if there wet. I did love the look thou.