A little walkway out of pallet boards

19 hours ago
This quick little project really couldn't be easier! Reclaimed pallet boards were used to create a new walkway through a flower bed. The planks make it an absolute dream to weed by simply lifting the applicable board, and are just high enough to clear any water run off. And yes, they are staying in place and have shown no rot in over 3 years thus far.
#Bestof2012
#ItchingForSpring
#Recycle
#OutdoorProjects
#BeforeandAfter
#SummerStyle
#CurbAppeal
#SmallSpaces
#Makeover
#ThinkSpring
#SpringIdeas
#OutdoorIdeas
Time: 1 Day Difficulty: Easy
Placing the planks in a slight curve as well as random alignment made for a slightly more interesting take.
Decide where you desire your pathway to go, and make it happen! This was after a few shrubs were pulled out and new topsoil was placed.
Here's a picture from year #2. It held up as if it's still brand new!
Here is the very full before!
Here's another pallet walkway I came up with: at http://www.hometalk.com/1776840/cheating-wit...

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/pallet-wood-walkway-all-prettied-up.html

• FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Laurel Bakos-McCandlish , that sounds like a great fix! My boards were a little on the deeper side so part of them is slightly embedded into the soil. They truly don't move. I lucked out I guess!
  • Anne gaddis
    Anne gaddis Strafford, MO
    i saw a post on my face where thay just dug round holes in the ground about 3 inches deep put in samll amt of gravel and poured in concrete, instant pavers. i havent tried it yetbut am going to. also have done the pallett thing works great.
    • Lillian
      Lillian Mesquite, TX
      Anne gaddis I did this years ago. Just make sure it is 2 or 3 inches deep all over. Some of my edges were thin and broke off. I didn't use gravel at all, and they were still nice
  • Cynthia
    Cynthia Dawsonville, GA
    I'd only lay them on sand since termites won't burrow through sand.
  • Irish53
    Irish53 Hicksville, NY
    If you lay the pallet upside down on the ground then take off the end boards. Reattach them to the open sides you can make a container garden that needs little soil to grow anything except maybe root vegetables.
  • Sabanner
    Great idea. Excited to use this in my butterfly garden. Do I need to put sand or anything under them first?
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Saba, you certainly could! I didn't need to as the earth took hold just enough but sand is a great idea.
  • Arelis S
    Arelis S Marietta, GA
    Great idea, looks Great. Do you have to add anything under it? Where do you get or buy them from(Pallets )?
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Arelis S, it's just soil under these boards. They've been just fine! I find pallets from a firetruck manufacturer I frequently work near. Check out some industrial areas, any place that ships in big stuff ought to have lots of pallets.
  • Joanne Calfee
    Joanne Calfee Chicago, IL
    Do you have to treat the pallet boards with anything?
    • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
      Joanne Calfee I personally didn't treat these and they seem to be holding up fine after 3 years. I'm assuming they may already be treated lumber but not certain. Treatment would be a good idea for most pallet wood you see out there, just in case.
  • Suzanne
    suzanne Dunlap, IL
    Great Idea!! Looks so quaint and inviting. Awesome job!
  • Teri
    Teri Ferndale, WA
    I did this a few years ago, but in the northwest where we get alot of rain they are super slippery. Almost broke my neck on them. Watch out if there wet. I did love the look thou.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Neat. I use the whole pallet to keep my supplies of soil, etc. off the ground.
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen Chattanooga, TN
    This is beautiful. I need something for a side yard that is covered in big pine roots and where nothing can be planted so I use pots. I may give this a try with some pallet wood I have. Thanks for a fabulous idea.
  • Tiffany Felsenfeld
    Putting this in my garden! What size boards are they? I'm not taking from a pallet, just buying the wood separately from Home Depot. Thank you!
  • Kristal Morgan
    Kristal Morgan Visalia, CA
    Beautiful!!!!
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna