How to Clean Vinyl Siding

05.19.15
It's not something you're proud of - your house is a little moldy around the edges. Yup, there's always that side of the house that doesn't get that much sun and the moisture builds up and mold happens. Thankfully there's an easy way to clean it to enjoy a mold free year! Here's how my husband and I went after our mold on our vinyl siding. #CleaningTricks #CurbAppeal #vinylsiding
  • Marilyn Lapham
    Marilyn Lapham, Green Pond, N.J. @ Jj, Midland, Pa. Yes, the small black spots that attach themselves to the house is from "artillery mulch". They are very stubborn spots and will attach themselves to anything, including cars. You must get rid of the
  • Megan Rapp
    Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
    Shelly Oertli - We both have to be following each other to send PMs. I just followed you :) But the product is Clorox Pro Results Outdoor.
  • Shelly Oertli
    Shelly Oertli Stanton, KY
    Thanks Megan! What do I need to do to follow? I can request you as friend
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Shelly Oertli You can click on my picture and it will take you to my page. There you can hit the follow button. You can also just hover above my name at times and a pop-up will come up where you can hit follow.
  • Shelly Oertli
    Shelly Oertli Stanton, KY
    Found it to follow!
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Shelly Oertli Oops! Saw this after I responded. Do you still need the product PMed? It is Clorox Pro Results Outdoor. Hope this helps!
  • Janet McMillan
    Janet McMillan Dearborn Heights, MI
    Where can you get the Clorox pro results outdoor?
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Janet McMillan I got mine at Lowes. I think it is pretty common so any home improvement store should carry it.
    • Peggy Bryan
      peggy Bryan Lenoir, NC
      Megan Rapp that stuff is a little thicker but expensive and has chlorine in it to kill the mold/mildew but a mix of clorox and water does the same much cheaper but to put it on you
  • Vicky Thompson
    Vicky Thompson Grand Rapids, MI
    Thats great to know! Thanks for the info!
  • Margaret DeVries
    Margaret DeVries Ladson, SC
    I would never buy another vinyl siding house! So tired cleaning it! We bought a pressure washer but that is not too powerful ! Definitely will try this cleaner first!
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Margaret DeVries Good to know! Ours is only a little vinyl but it definitely is high maintenance. I love the brick sides of our house. Good luck using this!
  • Sharon
    Sharon Oakland, ME
    anyone know if this would work on old metal siding?
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Sharon Hmm...I don't know. I would research that some before using this product since it is such a different material.
  • Marfran
    Marfran Vero Beach, FL
    My whole two story house in Florida is vinyl and we just know that we have to clean it at least once a year. If we do it every six months, its not so bad and goes pretty fast in cleaning. Sure beats having to paint. Glad we have vinyl. With try this
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Marfran Wow! That's a lot of cleaning! But I agree, it definitely helps if you just stay on top of it. Good luck trying the product!
  • Mary Corrway
    Mary Corrway East Falmouth, MA
    Im wondering what about plants all around the house wont the bleach kill them off
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Mary Corrway They haven't hurt mine. This is made specifically for outdoor usage. However, there are some other great ideas in the comments if you are concerned about this.
  • Allforjesusineverthing
    There is no way that I am doing this. I am not going to spray chlorine and let it get in my dirt. I would never use chlorine in my house or in my yard. It's not safe.
  • Linda
    Linda New Florence, PA
    is this product ok to use on tan vinyl siding...won't hurt the color?
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Linda I have tan siding and it has been fine the years we've been using it. Based on that I would say it won't hurt it.
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Have you thought about a pressure washer. It has containers for solutions, too. Might not have to scrub so much!
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Marion Nesbitt Thanks for the idea! I heard that pressure washers could be hard on vinyl siding but many people have had success with them!
  • Carol Vermillion-Doerr
    I have and use a 2500 psi pressure washer on ours with the nozzle that is not- what I call the "death ray spray" which is the red nozzle on our system. I think the nozzle I use is white. At any rate, I then use simple green concentrate mixed with water.
  • Melia Pope
    Melia Pope Benton, TN
    I would love to wash my vinyl siding, but I have roses planted all around the house. Will the bleach hurt my flowers?
    • Megan Rapp
      Megan Rapp Lynchburg, VA
      Melia Pope The product that I used was made by Clorox specifically for outdoor use and did not hurt my plants. However, you may want to test a little area before you apply it on all of your house and subsequently on your roses.
Megan Rapp