Homemade Ant Bait

05.15.16
Ants are especially bad this year in our region (Delaware) but I have been able to keep them at bay using this homemade bait for any of the little fellows who try to set up shop in my home.

ANT BAIT: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup very warm water, 2 TBS Borax

I have had fantastic results with this mixture, in these proportions, on a variety of ants. **Make sure to keep these baits far away from pets and curious toddlers as it can be harmful and toxic to both.** When not in use, I keep the bait mixture in my fridge in a glass container on the bottom shelf, marked “ANT BAIT” in bold letters. If you have trouble getting rid of the ants, you can try adding a bit more borax, but if you add too much the ants grow wise to your scheme and reject the bait. See photos below and my blog for more information!

To see more: http://cloverandthyme.com/2013/04/09/never-failed-me-yet-ant-bait/

• Sue Gilman
    Sue Gilman Waterville, ME
    Sorry sometimes I forget to tell people it is one to one. I use a tablespoon of each take a paint brush and put it on old boxes like cereal boxes, it really goes a long way. when I first moved into my house my grandchildren would help and watch the ants
  • Beth
    Beth Madison, WV
    Powdered sugar and baking soda and water works well too. Make a paste.
  • Diane LaBarge
    Diane LaBarge Dry Fork, VA
    I keep my bait under the kitchen sink and have not seen an ant on my counter in months. I check weekly to make sure the cotton ball/tissue is still moist. The ants just love it.
  • Linda
    Linda Pulaski, PA
    Just tried this for the first time. Keeping fingers crossed!
  • Carolyn Mullin
    Carolyn Mullin Oxnard, CA
    I use window cleaner and it kills them on the spot when sprayed on them.
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    I don't want to kill my ants as they are helpers for my soil. I just want them out of my house! We are a totally organic household here - NO chemicals! I use sticks of cinnamon and try to find out where they are entering the house. I lay the sticks along
  • Giuditta
    Giuditta Cotuit, MA
    Peonies do not need ants to open their blooms; this is an old wives' tale. Just as the ants are attracted to the sugar in this home remedy, they are attracted to the nectar in the peony's flowers.
  • TJ
    TJ Andover, MN
    I have recently had an invasion of tiny ants here in Minnesota. I had missed a small blob of peanut butter by the toaster. When they were all over the counter, I just grabbed the nearby Lysol kitchen cleaner and sprayed them. Literally killed them in
    • Shelia Ables
      Shelia Ables Malvern, AR
      I use a dry borax sugar mixture, equal amounts. I put them in a mason jar, shake them well, poke holes in top of closed jar and sprinkle. They go crazy over it! It kills them, their queen and also will take care of cock roaches. I just sprinkle it behind
  • Barb Hynes
    Barb Hynes Brighton, MI
    thanks for the posts...I am going a little bit crazy with the spring invasion of these tiny irritators.
  • Diane Baldwin
    Diane Baldwin Ridgeley, WV
    my ants are weird. they aren't on a path to who knows where, they are wondering everywhere. makes no sense.
    • Glenda B
      Glenda B Edmond, OK
      Diane Baldwin Same crazy ants I am dealing with. Last exterminator we hired said he would get rid of them or my service was free ..... well the service cost me nothing, but I still have "Crazy Ants"
  • Christine
    Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    Now.... if I could just get rid of the mice that invaded me this cold season. They're not interested in leaving and I don't even have food. I work in a restaurant and don't cook, don't snack, and don't even store food in cupboards. Ah well. I'll continue
    • Cathryn Schmidt
      Cathryn Schmidt Portland, OR
      Christine had trouble with RATS! Yuk! A nearby neighbor had chickens then kindly removed them but left RATS looking for food. After chewing through our garbage can, I
  • Jannette2469
    jannette2469 Linden, MI
    My hubby bought Repeal for the mice. It is a mixture of dried blood and something else. It deters the small animals.
    • Christine
      Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
      Jannette2469 I just used their product to repel deer, which were destroying not only my hosta, hydrangea, but Japanese maples, etc. They've not touched anything I sprayed, but sure
  • Christine
    Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    Ahh, Judi. I've had sonar thingies plugged in for several years. They just give those gizmos the mouse-finger and continue their pooping.
  • Trish
    Trish Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for sharing! Great idea and will DEFINATELY be using soon:)
  • Destinyprods
    Hi So we just moved into an old farm house where the mice did dwell

After lots of clewaning with lysol inside I sprayed ammonia all around the house and inside cupboards etc. They are GONE.

• Renata
    Renata Hermiston, OR
    I must not have don't recipe correctly cuz my bait turned hard? Ants no longer on counter there but went to a drawer on other side of kitchen, lol. Was bait hardening supposed to happen?
  • Ausetkmt
    ausetkmt Tampa, FL
    have you tried grits or corn meal ? they can't digest it and take it back. it swells inside their bodies and then welll..... I also am a big fan of the borax, sugar water mix. always spray the counter or area where they travel with White Vinegar to
  • Susan
    susan Canada
    Does anybody know what to do when slugs are in your flower garden besides the beer remedy
    • MahtaMouse
      MahtaMouse Redmond, WA
      Susan I use liquid Deadline... none of my dogs or cats have ever been attracted to it. Of course it has to be re-applied every couple of weeks, especially if you regularly water
  • SuellenMcCranie
    SuellenMcCranie Rhine, GA
    When I lived in town, I had slugs in my flower garden. I purchased some "Slug Getta" by Ortho and sprinkled it in my garden. I had small dogs and they were drawn to the scent and also ate some. Cost me more in Vet bills to save my dogs, because it almost
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly Pasadena, TX
    SALT PELLETS OR ANY SORT OF SALT ALL ALONG THE PERIMETER OF THE GARDEN. KEEP IN MID ONCE THE SLUGS HIT THE SALT THEY BEGIN TO TURN TO MUSH. IF THAT DOESNT BOTHER YOU THEN SALT AWAY!
Becky - Clover and Thyme