Homemade Ant Bait

household hints 6 days ago
Ants are especially bad this year in our region (Delaware) but I have been able to keep them at bay using this homemade bait for any of the little fellows who try to set up shop in my home.

ANT BAIT: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup very warm water, 2 TBS Borax

I have had fantastic results with this mixture, in these proportions, on a variety of ants. **Make sure to keep these baits far away from pets and curious toddlers as it can be harmful and toxic to both.** When not in use, I keep the bait mixture in my fridge in a glass container on the bottom shelf, marked “ANT BAIT” in bold letters. If you have trouble getting rid of the ants, you can try adding a bit more borax, but if you add too much the ants grow wise to your scheme and reject the bait. See photos below and my blog for more information!

• I mix the ingredients listed above together thoroughly in a glass measuring cup. I stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then I dip a cotton cosmetic pad into the solution. I then place the saturated pad on a plastic lid.
  • I place the bait right in the line of ant traffic and wait. Pretty soon the bait will be crawling with ants. Don't kill them! They will take the mixture home to their queen and in 24 hrs there should be no trace of them in your home.

To see more: http://cloverandthyme.com/2013/04/09/never-failed-me-yet-ant-bait/

• Dream Scapes, GA
    Dream Scapes, GA Suwanee, GA
    It really does work. I have used this many times. I use Tero as well. You get it at the garden center in the chemicals used to get rid of pests.
  • Joan Bond
    Joan Bond Fernandina Beach, FL
    If you store this in the fridge, do you have to warm the liquid up before using it again?
  • Dwiz
    Lemons! Ants hate lemons. I just quarter up a big juicy lemon and put it in my pantry where the ants are and viola! they disappear (and my pantry smells nice too).
  • Jeanne B
    Jeanne B Athens, GA
    The best roach, ant, spider spray with effective killer is Bengal Gold Roach Spray.(indoor residential) Kills overnite! Last up to 6 months. 11 oz. spray cost apx. $14.00..At Lowe's and Ace Hdw.
  • Carol Brown
    Carol Brown Azle, TX
    We need something that is safe to use around our dog's
  • Elizabeth Bowen-droneburg
    I have read all the posts and tried some of the organic cures, but I finally just gave up and bought an ant killer that comes in a little bottle. You put a drop every few feet, the ants take it back to the colony and in a couple weeks kills them all. And
  • Anita Hintze
    Anita Hintze Boise, ID
    i used 1part sugar 1part salt sprinkled where ants were in the evening checked the next morning and no more ants!
  • Kate Crenshaw
    Kate Crenshaw Athens, GA
    Would love some advice on how to get rid of ants in my CAR. I've sprayed the inside of the car with Raid, tried leaving ant traps, paid a car wash to clean both inside and outside, and still have ants on the seats, dash, floor, my feet -- everywhere. Help!
    • Angela Lee
      Angela Lee San Diego, CA
      Kate Crenshaw have you tried watching to see where they come out? if you do you can see where they are hiding... my guess is inside the dash since they LOVE electrical
  • Mary
    Mary Ridgely, MD
    I've placed Cinnamon in the areas they come out of this spring and thus far it's really worked !!
  • Susan Cryor
    Susan Cryor Lockport, NY
    ok, today I got out the DW40 and sprayed on their "path". That seemed to stop them, as it is truly fish oil and imagine it smells bad to them. BUT, low and behold....I saw them rerouted along the soffit. I had DH pick up really powerful stuff, but can
  • SuellenMcCranie
    SuellenMcCranie Rhine, GA
    Thanks, Frances...
  • SuellenMcCranie
    SuellenMcCranie Rhine, GA
    Thanks, Susan Cryor, my big ant hills are gone because the "mad" ants ate those ants and I have a sandy field where I built my house and I see the little hills where they have dug deep into the GA Red Clay. I was told that these ants will take in another
  • Susan Cryor
    Susan Cryor Lockport, NY
    frustrated, found them cruising along the fence, with eggs! : headed for the house, up the gutter downspout ! SO, I got my vinegar (2 gallons of it) putting it in a spray bottle and blasted them as they marched towards the house...I have spent 2 days
  • Frances
    Frances Elmira, NY
    Suellen, I just read a big article on these ants. They call them crazy ants and one man in Texas said he would rather have fire ants. It also said they make nests in your electrical systems. What you described is just about what I read. I hope you take
  • James Murray
    James Murray Clearlake, CA
    I am utilizing this inside the house in a hall cabinet that was infested for an unknown reason, perhaps in search of water. To protect my hives I have used diatomaceous earth with some positive results however next year (around Feb.) I plan on moving the
Becky - Clover and Thyme

Search Feedback