Homemade Ant Bait

Around the house 2 days ago
Ants are especially bad this year in our region (Delaware) but I have been able to keep them at bay using this homemade bait for any of the little fellows who try to set up shop in my home.

ANT BAIT: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup very warm water, 2 TBS Borax

I have had fantastic results with this mixture, in these proportions, on a variety of ants. **Make sure to keep these baits far away from pets and curious toddlers as it can be harmful and toxic to both.** When not in use, I keep the bait mixture in my fridge in a glass container on the bottom shelf, marked “ANT BAIT” in bold letters. If you have trouble getting rid of the ants, you can try adding a bit more borax, but if you add too much the ants grow wise to your scheme and reject the bait. See photos below and my blog for more information!

• I mix the ingredients listed above together thoroughly in a glass measuring cup. I stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then I dip a cotton cosmetic pad into the solution. I then place the saturated pad on a plastic lid.
  • I place the bait right in the line of ant traffic and wait. Pretty soon the bait will be crawling with ants. Don't kill them! They will take the mixture home to their queen and in 24 hrs there should be no trace of them in your home.

To see more: http://cloverandthyme.com/2013/04/09/never-failed-me-yet-ant-bait/

• Christine
    Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    Ahh, Judi. I've had sonar thingies plugged in for several years. They just give those gizmos the mouse-finger and continue their pooping.
  • Trish
    Trish Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for sharing! Great idea and will DEFINATELY be using soon:)
  • Destinyprods
    Hi So we just moved into an old farm house where the mice did dwell

After lots of clewaning with lysol inside I sprayed ammonia all around the house and inside cupboards etc. They are GONE.

• Renata
    Renata Hermiston, OR
    I must not have don't recipe correctly cuz my bait turned hard? Ants no longer on counter there but went to a drawer on other side of kitchen, lol. Was bait hardening supposed to happen?
  • Ausetkmt
    ausetkmt Tampa, FL
    have you tried grits or corn meal ? they can't digest it and take it back. it swells inside their bodies and then welll..... I also am a big fan of the borax, sugar water mix. always spray the counter or area where they travel with White Vinegar to
Becky - Clover and Thyme

Search Feedback