Homemade Ant Bait

Ants are especially bad this year in our region (Delaware) but I have been able to keep them at bay using this homemade bait for any of the little fellows who try to set up shop in my home.

ANT BAIT: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup very warm water, 2 TBS Borax

I have had fantastic results with this mixture, in these proportions, on a variety of ants. **Make sure to keep these baits far away from pets and curious toddlers as it can be harmful and toxic to both.** When not in use, I keep the bait mixture in my fridge in a glass container on the bottom shelf, marked “ANT BAIT” in bold letters. If you have trouble getting rid of the ants, you can try adding a bit more borax, but if you add too much the ants grow wise to your scheme and reject the bait. See photos below and my blog for more information!

To see more: http://cloverandthyme.com/2013/04/09/never-failed-me-yet-ant-bait/

• Vickie Dederian
    Vickie Dederian Redding, CA
    Grits right from the box. They take it home, eat it, drink water, and it expands in their stomachs killing them. It has never failed us.
  • Mark Irby
    Mark Irby Southport, NC
    Corn meal works and what they don't eat is easy to clean up.
    • Sue Weiker
      Sue Weiker Napoleon, OH
      Mark Irby I started using cornmeal a few years ago because we have a cat and dogs, and it works wonderfully.. Only have to sweep up what is left.
  • Charlotte R
    Charlotte R Richmond, VA
    It does work but not in 24 hours. The queen isn't exactly starving and waiting to be fed. And the queen isn't the only ones eating the bait. I lived on the third floor and had an army of sugar ants crawling through the cabinet wall. I used sugar, borax,
    • Ilene Rubin
      Ilene Rubin Bensalem, PA
      Charlotte R We had them on the kitchen counter. something i will never get used to..
    • Carolyn
      Carolyn Omaha, NE
      Ilene Rubin When I was Arkansas I baked a cake a sit it on the counter..within then minutes the ants came from what seemed like everywhere and was devouring my cake. I had read
  • Amy Robbins
    Amy Robbins Oskaloosa, KS
    Chaulking around windows, doors, and foundation helped me more than anything. They are hard to kill you just need to keep them put.
    • Ilene Rubin
      Ilene Rubin Bensalem, PA
      Amy Robbins I think its the dust from the chalk that stops them.
    • Amy Robbins
      Amy Robbins Oskaloosa, KS
      Darn spell check. I meant caulk the holes and gaps where the ants get in. Not chaulk.
  • Lori Kelly
    Lori Kelly Elkview, WV
    It's called Terminix SafeShield. I tried everything. Cornmeal, cucumber rind(they ate it!), pieces of lemon or lemon juice for the citrus, Equal (takes care of them but there's white powder scattered everywhere and how long should one leave it!?).
  • Janet Bergner
    Janet Bergner Madison, WI
    You can also mix powdered sugar and borax together as a powder and sprinkle it outside the door jam or in a window sill...ants track it back to the nest and kills the larvae too. It can talk a week or so but eventually it does work. Borax is toxic for
    • Bettamaxypoo
      Bettamaxypoo Medford, OR
      Borax is toxic to pets! Be careful of your animals
  • Sue Gilman
    Sue Gilman Waterville, ME
    I use molasses and yeast no water! paint them on pieces of cardboard, doesn't hurt kids or animals, the ants go back to the nest feed the queen and she blows up without her no more babies.
  • Sue Gilman
    Sue Gilman Waterville, ME
    Sorry sometimes I forget to tell people it is one to one. I use a tablespoon of each take a paint brush and put it on old boxes like cereal boxes, it really goes a long way. when I first moved into my house my grandchildren would help and watch the ants
  • Beth
    Beth Madison, WV
    Powdered sugar and baking soda and water works well too. Make a paste.
  • Diane LaBarge
    Diane LaBarge Dry Fork, VA
    I keep my bait under the kitchen sink and have not seen an ant on my counter in months. I check weekly to make sure the cotton ball/tissue is still moist. The ants just love it.
  • Linda
    Linda Pulaski, PA
    Just tried this for the first time. Keeping fingers crossed!
  • Carolyn Mullin
    Carolyn Mullin Oxnard, CA
    I use window cleaner and it kills them on the spot when sprayed on them.
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    I don't want to kill my ants as they are helpers for my soil. I just want them out of my house! We are a totally organic household here - NO chemicals! I use sticks of cinnamon and try to find out where they are entering the house. I lay the sticks along
  • Giuditta
    Giuditta Cotuit, MA
    Peonies do not need ants to open their blooms; this is an old wives' tale. Just as the ants are attracted to the sugar in this home remedy, they are attracted to the nectar in the peony's flowers.
  • TJ
    TJ Andover, MN
    I have recently had an invasion of tiny ants here in Minnesota. I had missed a small blob of peanut butter by the toaster. When they were all over the counter, I just grabbed the nearby Lysol kitchen cleaner and sprayed them. Literally killed them in
Becky - Clover and Thyme