Backyard Chickens #petideas

chickens 07.21.15
Our chicken tractor is complete! We are looking forward to having our chickens be a part of our organic garden! The Backyard chicken movement is growing quickly. The birds are wonderful at eating bugs and weeds in the garden. You can also compost their bedding and poo. Organic eggs are a bonus! More on the blog:
#BackyardReady
Time: 5 Days Cost: $250.00 Difficulty: Challenging
My husband built this chicken "tractor" from plans we found on the internet.
It's about 10 feet long and has two stories. The birds roost in the top and have the bottom space for exploring.
The side of the roof has a removable door for easy access.
Here the birds roost and will lay eggs.
The run pulls up for security at night with the help of a repurposed telephone cord.
The girls like their new home! It can be moved around the yard to any location thanks to the flip down wheels we added.

To see more: http://designerssweetspot.com/2013/07/chicken-diaries.html

• Cindy
    Cindy Colorado Springs, CO
    I love your coop for your chickens! It is so darn cute!

Oh my daughter would just love your chicken coop! She loves her chickens

• Jessica C
    Jessica C Stoughton, WI
    Mary C. Yes, I call the little stairs the "run".
  • Mary C
    Mary C Englewood, OH
    My bad.... i think i just figured it out...by run "I THINK" you meant the little stairs (so to speak) that the chickens go up into the roost by??? is that right? tyvm .Chris
  • Mary C
    Mary C Englewood, OH
    I didn't quite understand what you meant by you can pull the run up for security???? maybe there was something i wasn't seeing.....???? can you explain more about it or maybe post another pic ...tyvm . Chris
  • Jessica C
    Jessica C Stoughton, WI
    We currently have 5, but there is room for 6 chickens in this coop.
  • Jeanette
    Jeanette Bradenton, FL
    how many chickens will fit in coop house?
  • Jessica C
    Jessica C Stoughton, WI
    The chicken wire we used is plastic coated, not sure of the gauge but the holes are rather small, perhaps 1"? Hope that helps!
  • Lucie Elvin
    Lucie Elvin Winchester, VA
    I moved to neighbor developement (all fenced in back yards) and they don't allow chickens, I miss mine. With all the talk about sustainable living, orangic food. I wish more communities would allow them'. I'd even promise to mot have roosters. (Though I
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Very nice coop! I used to raise chickens and do miss the fresh organic eggs very much. The city I live in has ruled against backyard chickens but I am still hoping that will change soon.
Jessica C

Search Feedback