Backyard Chickens

chickens 07.21.15
Our chicken tractor is complete! We are looking forward to having our chickens be a part of our organic garden! The Backyard chicken movement is growing quickly. The birds are wonderful at eating bugs and weeds in the garden. You can also compost their bedding and poo. Organic eggs are a bonus! More on the blog:
#BackyardReady
Time: 5 Days Cost: $250.00 Difficulty: Challenging
My husband built this chicken "tractor" from plans we found on the internet.
It's about 10 feet long and has two stories. The birds roost in the top and have the bottom space for exploring.
The side of the roof has a removable door for easy access.
Here the birds roost and will lay eggs.
The run pulls up for security at night with the help of a repurposed telephone cord.
The girls like their new home! It can be moved around the yard to any location thanks to the flip down wheels we added.
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Very nice coop! I used to raise chickens and do miss the fresh organic eggs very much. The city I live in has ruled against backyard chickens but I am still hoping that will change soon.
Jessica C