Backyard Chickens

Around the House 04.06.15
Our chicken tractor is complete! We are looking forward to having our chickens be a part of our organic garden! The Backyard chicken movement is growing quickly. The birds are wonderful at eating bugs and weeds in the garden. You can also compost their bedding and poo. Organic eggs are a bonus! More on the blog:
#BackyardReady
Time: 5 Days Cost: $250.00 Difficulty: Challenging
My husband built this chicken "tractor" from plans we found on the internet.
It's about 10 feet long and has two stories. The birds roost in the top and have the bottom space for exploring.
The side of the roof has a removable door for easy access.
Here the birds roost and will lay eggs.
The run pulls up for security at night with the help of a repurposed telephone cord.
The girls like their new home! It can be moved around the yard to any location thanks to the flip down wheels we added.
  • Alexandra Arena
    Alexandra Arena Forest Hills, NY
    Cute coop, Jessica! :)
  • Shelly Troup
    Shelly Troup Center Point, IA
    Awesome! I have 33 chickens!
  • Barbara Brousseau O'Donnell
    Nothing like knowing the chickens that give you eggs ! :)
  • Nicolette Roux
    so cute!
  • Pat Safron
    Pat Safron Canada
    can't tell what gauge wire you use but I hope its heavy to keep the other animals out that like chicken and fresh eggs.........its a super idea well done!
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Very nice coop! I used to raise chickens and do miss the fresh organic eggs very much. The city I live in has ruled against backyard chickens but I am still hoping that will change soon.
  • Lucie Elvin
    Lucie Elvin Winchester, VA
    I moved to neighbor developement (all fenced in back yards) and they don't allow chickens, I miss mine. With all the talk about sustainable living, orangic food. I wish more communities would allow them'. I'd even promise to mot have roosters. (Though I
  • Jessica C
    Jessica C Madison, WI
    The chicken wire we used is plastic coated, not sure of the gauge but the holes are rather small, perhaps 1"? Hope that helps!
  • Jeanette
    Jeanette Bradenton, FL
    how many chickens will fit in coop house?
  • Jessica C
    Jessica C Madison, WI
    We currently have 5, but there is room for 6 chickens in this coop.
  • Mary C
    Mary C Englewood, OH
    I didn't quite understand what you meant by you can pull the run up for security???? maybe there was something i wasn't seeing.....???? can you explain more about it or maybe post another pic ...tyvm . Chris
  • Mary C
    Mary C Englewood, OH
    My bad.... i think i just figured it out...by run "I THINK" you meant the little stairs (so to speak) that the chickens go up into the roost by??? is that right? tyvm .Chris
  • Jessica C
    Jessica C Madison, WI
    Mary C. Yes, I call the little stairs the "run".
  • Cindy
    Cindy Colorado Springs, CO
    I love your coop for your chickens! It is so darn cute!

Oh my daughter would just love your chicken coop! She loves her chickens

Jessica C