DIY Greenhouse for Approx. $50

Greenhouse DIY 03.30.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Growing Tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest can be a challenge, so I made this greenhouse to protect my plants from the rainy weather. Using a few simple materials from the hardware store this simple structure was done in about an hour. #diygreenhouse #gardenproject
The green house is approx. 4 1/2'H x 3' W x 8' L. It's perfect for early spring and fall crops for protecting from frost.
Simple base, just a square made out of 2x4's
  • Tomatoes in grow bags
Tomatoes in grow bags, to get the Full details on how to put this green house in less than an hour, follow the link below!

To see more:

• Ana Alvarez
    Ana Alvarez Canada
    How early can you get your tomatoes outside? I also live in the Vancouver area. Thanks!
  • Nancy Rhodes C
    Nancy Rhodes C Bessemer, AL
    I like the rebar instruction to slide the pvc over. I will make one before winter if I can possibly find the time. Thanks Shelly S. You put a lot of time into these instructions for us.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    What a way to get them through the late spring rains. Mine are about gone already; too much rain and too cool in the evenings. Time to go get tow more bigger plants for the hanging planters and try some more. I just love fresh tomatoes. Red one to eat
  • Georgia R
    Georgia R Star City, AR
    I like this set up!
  • Sow and Dipity
    Thanks for the comments folks!! @ Bernice H...I live in Langley, BC just outside of Vancouver ( Canadian Eh?) We have two seasons here....wet & hot. So, this structure is meant to be a protective ( temporary) barrier from the rains since Tomatoes get the
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Nancy R...I have built some raised planting beds using odd ball lots of synthetic decking...being plastic it is rot and bug proof.
  • Jan M
    Jan M Toledo, OR
    I am on the central Oregon coastal area. We get more then our share of rain which provides a short growing season for many things. I grow some awesome strawberries and beans and sugar snap peas. My Dahlias do great too. Tomatoes just end up tasting mushy
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    Mellisa...Use chicken wire on the floor and attach to the wood or bury it and then attach to the wood:)
  • Melissa W
    Melissa W Evansville, IN
    I need something to protect mine from rabbits and squirrels!
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H New York, NY
    Did you notice George S is from Northwest also? whoppeee We are getting more from this side of the states!
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H New York, NY
    Shelly and Jan..Mid Washington..tomatoes grow very nicely. Not much rain, and very hot. You sound like Portland area? Where are you located Shelley? This is a good idea, and glad it works for you.
  • Nancy Rhodes C
    Nancy Rhodes C Bessemer, AL
    Would it protect delicate plants in winter as a real greenhouse???????? What should the wood be treated with for long term use?
  • George S
    George S Lava Hot Springs, ID
    I've got a larger one.....uses 3/4" pvc ... put the bend on the pipe with a propane weed burner and bent pipe slip into larger pipe cut into 6" pieces secured by holy metal to outside of 2X8 sides .. made out , 4' wide and 10 ' long... usually use
  • Carol M
    Carol M Gig Harbor, WA
    Good idea! also keeps them warm from the cold nights we've been having..good luck
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Jesse.... If that is 4 or 6 mil plastic it will last at least a season. If Shelly "splurged" and got "greenhouse rated plastic that has the UV inhibitor in it she could get a few seasons out of it.
Sow and Dipity

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post