Hometalk.com

03.27.14

DIY Greenhouse for approx. $50

Growing Tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest can be a challenge, so I made this greenhouse to protect my plants from the rainy weather. Using a few simple materials from the hardware store this simple structure was done in about an hour. To get the full tutorial visit my blog @ http://www.sowanddipity.com/polytunnel-tutor... #diygreenhouse
20 Comments Displaying 15 of 20 comments | See Previous
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Jesse.... If that is 4 or 6 mil plastic it will last at least a season. If Shelly "splurged" and got "greenhouse rated plastic that has the UV inhibitor in it she could get a few seasons out of it.
  • Carol M Gig Harbor, WA
    Good idea! also keeps them warm from the cold nights we've been having..good luck
  • George S Lava Hot Springs, ID
    I've got a larger one.....uses 3/4" pvc ... put the bend on the pipe with a propane weed burner and bent pipe slip into larger pipe cut into 6" pieces secured by holy metal to outside of 2X8 sides .. made out , 4' wide and 10 ' long... usually use
  • Nancy Rhodes C Bessemer, AL
    Would it protect delicate plants in winter as a real greenhouse???????? What should the wood be treated with for long term use?
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    Shelly and Jan..Mid Washington..tomatoes grow very nicely. Not much rain, and very hot. You sound like Portland area? Where are you located Shelley? This is a good idea, and glad it works for you.
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    Did you notice George S is from Northwest also? whoppeee We are getting more from this side of the states!
  • Melissa W Evansville, IN
    I need something to protect mine from rabbits and squirrels!
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    Mellisa...Use chicken wire on the floor and attach to the wood or bury it and then attach to the wood:)
  • Jan M Toledo, OR
    I am on the central Oregon coastal area. We get more then our share of rain which provides a short growing season for many things. I grow some awesome strawberries and beans and sugar snap peas. My Dahlias do great too. Tomatoes just end up tasting mushy
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Nancy R...I have built some raised planting beds using odd ball lots of synthetic decking...being plastic it is rot and bug proof.
  • Thanks for the comments folks!! @ Bernice H...I live in Langley, BC just outside of Vancouver ( Canadian Eh?) We have two seasons here....wet & hot. So, this structure is meant to be a protective ( temporary) barrier from the rains since Tomatoes get the
  • Georgia R Star City, AR
    I like this set up!
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    What a way to get them through the late spring rains. Mine are about gone already; too much rain and too cool in the evenings. Time to go get tow more bigger plants for the hanging planters and try some more. I just love fresh tomatoes. Red one to eat
  • Nancy Rhodes C Bessemer, AL
    I like the rebar instruction to slide the pvc over. I will make one before winter if I can possibly find the time. Thanks Shelly S. You put a lot of time into these instructions for us.
  • Ana Alvarez Canada
    How early can you get your tomatoes outside? I also live in the Vancouver area. Thanks!