Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
07.09.13

HELP! How to get rid of skunk smell?!

Tomorrow we're having 20 people over for a party, and wouldn't you know a SKUNK sprayed the side of our home! So now our garage and the rest of our house smells like skunk. ;-( I know how to remove the scent from a dog, but how would I neutralize it in my home? And QUICKLY? Thanks so much!
13 Comments Displaying 13 of 13 comments
  • Patricia Cleveland
    what works for pets is two regular bottles of hydrogen perox and a small box of baking soda mixed with about a teaspoon of dish soap-don't know how it works on siding etc.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Carrie MakingLemonade
    Carrie MakingLemonade Blue Bell, PA
    Thanks, Patricia! I'm so desperate to get rid of the smell I just might try that. It's all throughout the downstairs now, too-- thanks to the 90+ degree weather, it's not going anywhere. I'm thinking about setting out pans of baking soda overnight and if
  • Carrie MakingLemonade
    Carrie MakingLemonade Blue Bell, PA
    I'm not sure exactly where it sprayed, otherwise I'd totally wash it down with hydrogen peroxide. That's a great suggestion.
  • Connie R
    Connie R Coalville, UT
    Pinesol. We live on a ranch and have a alot of skunks. When someone or something gets sprayed I get out the Pinesol. You need to use the original scent. It takes the smell out of clothes also. Put it in a spray bottle.
  • Carrie MakingLemonade
    Carrie MakingLemonade Blue Bell, PA
    Thank you, Connie R! Right now I've used Febreze on the whole house, but if I find where the skunk sprayed I'll use Pinesol. That's a great tip.
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    Don't worry about finding exactly where it sprayed Carrie. Just put a pesticide sprayer tank on your garden hose and fill it with Pine-sol, then spray down that entire side of the house. It will only take a short time and the smell will be gone.
  • Terri S
    Terri S Lafayette, IN
    any hints on how to keep skunks away? We've noticed one in our backyard several times recently, and we live in a small subdivision. Very unusual for one here.
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    As much as I hate the smell, moth balls are very good for keeping stray animals away. Cayenne Pepper under shrubs works well too.
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    I always use a orange oil based product (my dogs think skunks are play toys I deal with this at least once a year) in a pressure sprayer and spray the house the patios and the ground around the area and as my dogs are not allergic to orange oil I dip
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    http://www.tkoorange.com/

this is where u can get tko

• Carrie MakingLemonade
    Carrie MakingLemonade Blue Bell, PA
    Terri S., I did find this online. There's a skunk repellent that I might try. Though it's made from fox urine, ugh, not sure which smell is worse! Here's the article: http://www.squidoo.com/howtokeepskunksaway
  • Carrie MakingLemonade
    Carrie MakingLemonade Blue Bell, PA
    April, THANK YOU, Orange Oil sounds WAY more appealing than the fox urine they're selling online! I appreciate this!
  • Terri S
    Terri S Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the ideas. We have a stockade fenced yard and we checked and cannot find how it's getting in, but we double checked and added a little more dirt around so maybe I won't need these ideas. Might help with the rabbits who eat my flowers too!
Carrie MakingLemonade

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!