Cheating With an INSTANT Full Pallet Garden Walkway

things to try 11.16.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Love pallet projects but find yanking the boards apart too much effort? Me too! So I came up with an easy way to create a garden walkway using full pallets as is.
The worst part was attempting to get them level. I tried digging ruts at first but found it better to just flatten the soil bed before placing them down.
The best part about this project is the elevation so the walkway clears mud and rainwater. Very cool!
I don't mind if the wood rots down below... I can just replace them or come up with something new if that happens. DIYers need an excuse to create more stuff anyway. :)
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Moderate
  • A two pallet walkway resides in front of a little sitting area by my front door. It's perfect!
  • Levelling the soil really well took time but was well worth it.
  • The pallets were then tucked into place.
  • Rather than bring the edge of the pallet to the lawn, I planted some alyssum pouring out of an old kettle instead. It's very cute and rather unexpected.
  • Before...
  • and after! I love it!
  • Makes for a cozy little sitting area!
  • Thank-you for featuring this project on Facebook, Hometalk! :)
  • Here's another pallet styled garden walkway that is near by.
  • Working with pallets comes with some risk. I recommend this read...

To see more:

• Sharon Finkbiner
    Sharon Finkbiner Porthill, ID
    This takes me back to my childhood at my Baba's place. I loved walking down the 'boardwalk' but instead of ending at a beautiful sitting area I ended at another sitting area - the outhouse! Still loved that boardwalk!
  • Mary Brancato
    Mary Brancato Hobart, IN
    love it.
  • Stephanie Volkert
    Stephanie Volkert Roswell, NM
    Man, i can never find pallets with boards that close together.
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer Cedar Park, TX
    Yeah the pallets I find always have the boards at least 3 or more inches apart. Where did the owner of this post find these?
    • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
      Hi Jennifer, I found them at a firetruck manufacturer's place. Look for any place where they ship large items. I just lucked out to find the slats so close together. They are
  • Robin Lueddeke
    Robin Lueddeke Kenilworth, NJ
    I love this idea! Fantastic! my question is wouldn't the wood become slippery when it rains? I want to make a path from my driveway to my back patio, but I'm thinking it will be too slippery when it rains. Does anyone know if this would be a problem?
    • Susan
      susan Eagle, CO
      I'm doing this next week, I will let you know :-).
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post