Cheating With an INSTANT Full Pallet Garden Walkway

Back yard 4 days ago
Love pallet projects but find yanking the boards apart too much effort? Me too! So I came up with an easy way to create a garden walkway using full pallets as is.
The worst part was attempting to get them level. I tried digging ruts at first but found it better to just flatten the soil bed before placing them down.
The best part about this project is the elevation so the walkway clears mud and rainwater. Very cool!
I don't mind if the wood rots down below... I can just replace them or come up with something new if that happens. DIYers need an excuse to create more stuff anyway. :)
#CurbAppeal
#AugustGarden
#reclaimedwood
#OutdoorIdeas
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $0.00 Difficulty: Moderate
  • A two pallet walkway resides in front of a little sitting area by my front door. It's perfect!
  • Levelling the soil really well took time but was well worth it.
  • The pallets were then tucked into place.
  • Rather than bring the edge of the pallet to the lawn, I planted some alyssum pouring out of an old kettle instead. It's very cute and rather unexpected.
  • Before...
  • and after! I love it!
  • Makes for a cozy little sitting area!
  • Thank-you for featuring this project on Facebook, Hometalk! :) https://www.facebook.com/Hometalk/posts/687194511298108
  • Here's another pallet styled garden walkway that is near by. http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/pallet-wood-walkway-all-prettied-up.html
  • Working with pallets comes with some risk. I recommend this read... http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2011/04/all-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about.html

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2013/07/2-pallet-garden-walkway-barrel-planter.html

• Tammy Brenner
    Tammy Brenner Stockton, CA
    Love this! My hubby brings me home plastic ones too. I have made a little lounging area with them.
  • Kolleen
    Kolleen Elk Grove, CA
    I am wondering if you broke down the pallets and lay the wood on packed decomposed granite or pebble rocks would they stay or flip over and cause one to trip. Keeping them whole solves that problem but I have never seen full pallets only the partial type.
  • Adrienne
    Adrienne Ormond Beach, FL
    how do you get the slats close together? Do they come that way? Or you have to pull them apart and reassemble?
  • Sharon Carpenetti
    Sharon Carpenetti Modesto, CA
    Maybe just flat on the ground would work for me but I love the idea of them up off the ground. Thanks for the great tip :)
  • Kathi
    Kathi Ventura, CA
    These are beautiful! I think I would try staining them too.
  • Joe Pickens
    Joe Pickens Altoona, FL
    i see people asking where to get pallets try checking with your building supply stores i get mine there
  • Holly Decker
    Holly Decker North Adams, MI
    I like the painted one, maybe add a little color to the walkwa? paint them before you put them down
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Sharon Carpenetti, you make a valid point. Every region has no doubt something to consider. We get rain and that's about it so I need to be concerned with eventual wood rot. Others with bugs and snakes, etc. It's easy to forget how regions differ!
  • Sharon Carpenetti
    Sharon Carpenetti Modesto, CA
    I would worry about black widows underneath and a hotel for all the snails where I live but a great Idea if you don't have any of those :)
  • Pam M
    Pam M De Soto, MO
    Your local WAL-MART ask them that's where I get mine.
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Oops! Tagging Brenda H as well for the pallet question that I've addressed above!
  • Molly Wilder
    Molly Wilder Ramona, CA
    thanks for the suggestions!
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Jeanette Navarro and Molly Wilder, I suggest to check an industrial site in your area... anywhere
  • Molly Wilder
    Molly Wilder Ramona, CA
    What I would like to know is where can a person find pallets that are in good condition??? I would love to do pallet projects but have no idea where to get them. I have only found ones that are junk
FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna