Turn your stairs into a work of art

house ideas 06.23.15
When I I ripped off the old stairway carpet, I debated for two long years on what to do with the stairs. The 'old patina' showing up on the stairs from daily wear and tear fired up an idea... make them look as if they were made from old crates.

So I got to work creating stencils and painted them with craft paint. Adding creative things such as yardsticks for risers just added to the fun.

The stairs fool nearly everyone coming in thinking I spent a FORTUNE on them, when in reality, they were absolutely free.

#Bestof2012

#ProudestDIY

#Recycle

#BeforeandAfter

#PowerOfPaint

• Desiring the look of old crates, I created stencils with my signmaking equipment. The paint went directly on the original wood!
  • Eclectic yardstick risers and old license plates were added to jazz things up some.
  • No two stairs are alike.
  • Here's proof it's really paint on the original wood!
  • before
  • after

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2010/04/paint-ed-wooden-crate-stairs-for-so-you.html

• GR
    Word cannot express how much I love these stairs, your home and projects are truly inspirational!
  • Sue@CountryDesignHome
    Sue@CountryDesignHome Wakefield, MA
    FANTASTIC!!!! What an ingenious idea! I had been looking for a way to transform my basement stairs- this is most definitely it!
  • Lo
    Lo Westlake, OH
    The stairs are awesome! You did a great job with very unique ideas. I am curious as to how the stencils were made. I would love to paint my risers using stencil patterns of old logos. Any help on this would be very appreciated. thanks
  • Jennifer Thompson
    I am in love with these stairs!!! They are gorgeous 💛💛💛!
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle
    Cheryl @ Artzzle Princeton, MN
    You never fail to amaze! But this must've taken you FOR.EV.ER! Wow.

Wishes to all for a wonderful weekend.

FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna