Turn your stairs into a work of art

Neat Idea's 03.28.16
When I I ripped off the old stairway carpet, I debated for two long years on what to do with the stairs. The 'old patina' showing up on the stairs from daily wear and tear fired up an idea... make them look as if they were made from old crates.

So I got to work creating stencils and painted them with craft paint. Adding creative things such as yardsticks for risers just added to the fun.

The stairs fool nearly everyone coming in thinking I spent a FORTUNE on them, when in reality, they were absolutely free.

class="text_spacing">

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2010/04/paint-ed-wooden-crate-stairs-for-so-you.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Rachel F
    Rachel F Fort Mill, SC
    The border is so rich! I love how it drips down the stairs, with that dark brown.
  • Mikey F
    Mikey F Richmond, VA
    I've loved this project from the first time I saw it! You continue to inspire me!
  • Kelly F
    Kelly F Freeport, PA
    I am insanely jealous of your vinyl cutter Donna- but you already knew that! I just use spray adhesive on the back of my stencils. It's not perfect but it seems to be good enough for my purposes.
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Thank-you Kelly! It's actually a vinyl cutter which is a beefed up version to a Cricut or Silhouette machine. The machine cuts out thin vinyl decals that can only be used once, as opposed to the thicker plastic material that traditional stencil material
  • Kelly F
    Kelly F Freeport, PA
    The thing you might not know is that Donna (the woman who did these stairs) has a professional grade computerized stencil cutter that cuts out plastic stencils so she is able to do a lot of design work much easier than the traditional DIY.. You could
  • Bonnie B
    Bonnie B Shingle Springs, CA
    Quite a "trippy" idea ~~ !! (just had to write that.....) Very different, very unusual, very creative...!!
  • Rhonda G
    Rhonda G Lockport, NY
    I'm tearing up the carpet on my stairs, but the builder stapled into the treads and I can't get the staples out. They're breaking off. Can't pull them with a pliers or hammer them in either. Any suggestions... I will be removing the treads eventually
  • Pam R
    Pam R Petaluma, CA
    That is one of the most unique staircases I've ever seen! I just love it!
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    @Donna G. - the trick is to look as you go UP the steps. Then you only end up skinning your shins or stubbing your toes!! LOL
  • Laura S
    Laura S Chicago, IL
    I love this! so creative
  • Donna G
    Donna G Riverton, WY
    This is so fun, BUT! I would get so caught up in looking at every thing I would end up laying at the bottom after tripping and falling.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    @ Lisa M - YES - I saw that and thought it was so beautiful. I made a note of the website as well. Thanks for some fantastic info and this is really an eye catcher!! Soooo many ideas . . . .
  • Lisa M
    Lisa M Newport, NH
    A whole series of different horses decorate these stairs in a 200 year old Vermont farmhouse.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Awww Thank you Donna. Sometimes I manage to exercise a little logic!

You just keep talkin Sweetheart - I'm getting closer 'n closer to saying "I'M GOING TO DO THIS" and live w/the consequences

• FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Hello everyone! Thanks so much for the kudos!

The stairs took approximately a week to do but with MANY breaks. Susan hit the nail on the head... I did every other stair

FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna