Hometalk.com

Home Decor 04.07.14

Turn your stairs into a work of art

When I I ripped off the old stairway carpet, I debated for two long years on what to do with the stairs. The 'old patina' showing up on the stairs from daily wear and tear fired up an idea... make them look as if they were made from old crates.

So I got to work creating stencils and painted them with craft paint. Adding creative things such as yardsticks for risers just added to the fun.

The stairs fool nearly everyone coming in thinking I spent a FORTUNE on them, when in reality, they were absolutely free.

#Bestof2012

#ProudestDIY

#Recycle

#BeforeandAfter

#PowerOfPaint

To see more: http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2010/04/paint-ed-wooden-crate-stairs-for-so-you.html

49 Comments Displaying 15 of 49 comments | See Previous
  • Mikey F Richmond, VA
    I've loved this project from the first time I saw it! You continue to inspire me!
  • Rachel F Fort Mill, SC
    The border is so rich! I love how it drips down the stairs, with that dark brown.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    @Rhonda G, I used diagnal cutters and flat tip screwdrivers to pull the staples out of ours. We are replacing the treads with ash ones and facing the risers with ash plywood. I too loved the stencil and paint idea and the same comments from the husband.
  • Pam D Bondurant, IA
    I am so doing this! Thanks.
  • Eleanor P Brooksville, FL
    I don't have stairs, but I think this is really neat. John R said he was going to do it on his garage stairs - that will be so neat for a man or a boy's area using different logos.
  • These are amazing! Such a fun, vintage look! Love your sweet furry face staring up at you.
  • Thanks so much everyone! I've added a couple more pictures including the BEFORE. I sure don't miss the before shot... :)
  • Randy Stewart Dallas, TX
    What an awesome masterpiece! Congrats! Love this.

• Donna, you have talent in every bone of your body. I love your projects! This one is fantastic! Thank you for thinking outside the box and inspiring others with your creativity!
  • I think this might be one of my all time favorites! So original!
  • I first discovered your blog through this project! Love it!
  • So cool!
  • Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    These are AMAZING!
  • Organized Clutter International Falls, MN
    These stairs are legendary.
  • Amy Rohde Port Deposit, MD
    I think I'm going to try something similar with a nautical theme in our beach home! Stellar idea!