Hometalk.com

07.28.13

Help with my lawn!

So I work and work on my lawn all spring pop out every dandelion week by hand. Fertilize with an all natural pet and people safe fertilizer. Cut my grass about every ten days and my lawn is covered with clovers and clover flowers? My flower beds are gorgeous and my grass looks like crap...what am I doing wrong?
14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Not sure how hot it gets in Detroit -so for now there is not a lot you can do. However in late August/ early September you may want to try overseeding the lawn with a good grass seed - something with fescue ( that is spelled wrong I think ). It has a
  • David Horle Detroit, MI
    Thanks Heather...yes I know about the bees but I have plenty of flowers for them...I just hate that no one else works on their lawns as hard as I do and I have the worst looking grass on the block...bees or now bees it is somewhat an written
  • The clover looks good in my opinion.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    How often do you fertilize, David? Soil fertility is an important part of clover control. See some suggestions from the University of Minnesota extension service:
  • Peg Cold Spring, NY
    David, I tried to get a close up look of your lawn/grass. It look irregular to me, meaning there are weak spots. Try not to concentrate too much about weed killers, work on making the lawn lush and healthy like Heather and Doug suggested. Weeds like
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    We used to put the pet bunny pen on the most clover areas and let her take care of it. Win Win with the nice fertilizer coming out the other end of that clover mowing machine. (not enough to damage the grass with urea)
  • Lawn Pro Virginia Beach, VA
    Unfortunately,you will have to use a herbicides to get rid of clover /oxalis.weed seed can lay dormant for up to 7 years and then sprout. Cut yard every 7 days.make shure yard gets 1 inch of water per week
  • Pajunka Beverly Hills, CA
    What about feeding your lawn with good ol' Epson Salt?
  • Erin G Canada
    It's just how clover spreads, it isn't anything you're doing wrong! Clover has to be completely eradicated or it will continue to grow & spread. You just have to carefully lift up the shoots all the way back to the main roots, then dig out the root like
  • Jill Riverside, CA
    David, You might want to try a few things this in late fall so in the spring you can have that beautiful lawn. First, use a thatch rake and remove any dead and dying plant material, especially the clover. Second aerate your ground, this can be done with
  • Mary Thorne Portage, IN
    I've heard that clover is usually due to a nitrogen starved lawn. I have clover too. I don't mind it because it does feed the bees. We'll all starve without them.
  • Elaine Young Fresh Meadows, NY
    Clover in your lawn is a really good good thing. I actually threw some clover seeds on my lawn years ago, so some would grow in the lawn. It is a natural way to supply nitrogen to the lawn. Plus, you don't want to just have grasses growing in your lawn -
  • Kolleen Elk Grove, CA
    Nothing! Clover is a nitrogen fixer meaning it pulls nitrogen right out of the air to fertilizer your lawn! Scott brand fertilizer created the myth of clover being a weed after its synthetic fertilizers (new at the time) started killing clover in
  • Kat Davis-Moran Punta Gorda, FL
    beautiful job,
  • Likes

Tracey T Kat Davis-Moran ArtnLor Merrill