Hometalk.com

Gardening 03.09.14

Planning And Planting A Late Summer Garden – Getting Extra From Your Garden Space This Year!

So much emphasis is given every year to getting the garden in throughout the spring and early summer - that sometimes we forget that many crops can be planted again in the late summer.

Almost all of the crops that do well in the cooler seasons of early spring and summer can once again thrive in late summer and fall - giving you a chance to enjoy even more fresh veggies before the proverbial snow starts to fly.

Better yet, with the warmer soil temperatures in late summer - all of the plantings can be done through direct sowing of seeds. That means for just a few dollars - you can enjoy mounds and mounds of fresh vegetables!

Clearing And Preparing Space In The Garden:

As many of your early season plants such as peas, cucumbers, zucchini or cabbage are harvested - it is a great time to clear them out and prepare the space for planting a second round of crops. We simply pull up our expired plants - chop them up and add them into our compost bins.

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/07/09/planning-and-planting-a-late-summer-garden-getting-extra-from-your-garden-space-this-year/

12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Alexandra Arena Forest Hills, NY
    This is an awesome post, Old World Garden Farms! Planning for a late summer garden now!
  • thanks for the reminder! a late summer garden is a "second chance" to get in some fresh goodness before the cold days set in!
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I have planted most of my summer garden but I am still picking from the spring one. This has been a incredible year for my garden. Makes up for last year. This is the first time I have replanted. I am excited!
  • Thank you Alexandra!
  • Sarah - you are so right - you can never get enough garden goodness!
  • Sherrie - that is a great feeling to still be picking and planting more! Sounds like you have had a great garden year!
  • Thank you for the post. Now I won't be worry to put more compost in my garden. Does it need to let the ground sit for few days before I start planting?
  • Dessey - If the compost is cool to the touch and it is done "cooking" - then you are good to go with planting!
  • Wayne Rasku Woodstock, GA
    Perfect timing for this article. I just pulled most of my "done" veggies from the garden this morning, and I was wondering if I could plant again. I think I will :-)
  • Leevers Lake Forest, IL
    Your spring onion or as you call green onion needs to be picked earlier whilst stalks are still thin. Do this next time to get most out of flavour
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I always go to the department of extension to see if I when and what I can plant. I haven't a lot of knowledge about gardening. I read a lot and I am learning. My late husband seem to know everything about it so I worked with him. Me! No way. But I love
  • Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Here in Northern California I plant all year long (I'm below the snowline). Fresh is Best! xox