Planning And Planting A Late Summer Garden – Getting Extra From Your Garden Space This Year!

So much emphasis is given every year to getting the garden in throughout the spring and early summer - that sometimes we forget that many crops can be planted again in the late summer.

Almost all of the crops that do well in the cooler seasons of early spring and summer can once again thrive in late summer and fall - giving you a chance to enjoy even more fresh veggies before the proverbial snow starts to fly.

Better yet, with the warmer soil temperatures in late summer - all of the plantings can be done through direct sowing of seeds. That means for just a few dollars - you can enjoy mounds and mounds of fresh vegetables!

Clearing And Preparing Space In The Garden:

As many of your early season plants such as peas, cucumbers, zucchini or cabbage are harvested - it is a great time to clear them out and prepare the space for planting a second round of crops. We simply pull up our expired plants - chop them up and add them into our compost bins.

• You can enjoy favorites like snow peas late into the fall with a second late summer planting!
  • Green onions are another great late season crop
  • Clear all of plant debris from the garden before winter - and plant a cover crop like annual rye to build back nutrients and keep back weeds next year!
  • Compost is a great way to rejuvenate the soil for a late summer crop
  • Planting in late summer can keep you in fresh salads late into the year!

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/07/09/planning-and-planting-a-late-summer-garden-getting-extra-from-your-garden-space-this-year/

• Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Here in Northern California I plant all year long (I'm below the snowline). Fresh is Best! xox
  • Judy
    Judy Grants Pass, OR
    When is the best time to plant sugar snap peas in zone 7b for a fall crop?
  • Sharon Catania
    Sharon Catania Bend, OR
    I have always had a hard time getting beans to the starting point. Am I suppose to nick each bean before planting? My Italian bush beans never sprouted.
    • Judy
      Judy Grants Pass, OR
      Sharon Catania If seeds don't sprout there are several things that come to mind: old or bad seed, too much or too little water (soil should be moist but not wet), seed planted too deep, something eating the seed.....better luck next year.
  • Nancy Hatcher
    Nancy Hatcher Republic, MO
    What kismet! I've just been thinking I'd like to plant a fall garden. My potatoes have been harvested, my pea vines are done for the season and I'm looking at the beds thinking, "hum what to plant?". I've got lettuce, spinach and radishes in but am
  • Pamela Scruggs
    Pamela Scruggs Stone Mountain, GA
    That's where I find myself too. I'm in GA. Beyond collards..what to plant now??
Old World Garden Farms

Search Feedback