Hometalk.com

Before & After 2 days ago

creating a tiered flower bed made with re-purposed drawers

I knocked out the bottoms of the big drawers and hammered holes in the little ones for drainage. I painted first with Kilz to try to water proof. I know they are a temporary pretty but it was loads of fun! Wandering Jew, Polka Dot Plants and Torrenia
47 Comments Displaying 15 of 47 comments | See Previous
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    hahaha! love that idea Terri!
  • Maybe some Thompson's water seal would extend the life.
  • Sara C Jacksonville, FL
    I used kilz under the blue paint which is pretty waterproof. With all the rain we've been, and are getting (darned tropical storms) I guess I'll find out soon!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Terri, you should move to Maine. I went to a pretty remote part of Maine once, and there was no trash service, so you take everything to the "transfer station" where you strictly separate out all the trash and recycling, and leave anything that might be
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    this is a nice way to fill in a corner....match the shutters too.
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    Wow...this post is months past, but I am thinking how handy for those of us who have a hard time bending down ..and then getting up! This raises the height level and seems like it would be easier to access and putter!
  • Cindy tustin Arcadia, KS
    I am so lucky we have a recycling center here and attached to it is a repurposing store called new to you. I am there every week have never paid more than 5.00 for anything and that was a table on large wheels that made an excellent potting table.
  • Sharon Hartung Fremont, NE
    I have never seen anythiing like this, I love it! I've seen where people have used wheelbarrow's & bathtubs etc but not dresser drawer's. I can't do this till I get a place of my own, you can't do this in the apts. I live in. I want to do flowers so bad.
  • Terri J York, PA
    Bernice, I too, am back in this discussion and something else that I do at times is I take a short stool or deck chair to sit on while weeding, etc. It's not as effective as a raised bed, but sometimes I have to work with what I have on hand.
  • Kerry Rayes Australia
    I love this!
  • Sarah Nave San Jose, CA
    I hope this is not a lame question, but why not just drill holes in the big drawers too? are the ones with no bottoms permanent to the ground? Im just wonderng if on;y drilling holes in them as opposed to knocking out the bottom would make them all
    • Sara C Jacksonville, FL
      Sarah Nave I put it together with the idea of it being as permanent a fixture as nature would allow. The bottoms on the little drawers (which I did drill holes) eventually fell out. Having no
  • Tracey T Mission, TX
    I will find me some old drawers. I love this idea for a corner I have. Your trade zebrina (aka wandering jew) looks great too!
  • Sara C Jacksonville, FL
    And two years later....