Hometalk.com

03.30.14

DIY Hidden storage: canned food storage cabinet

It's totally tiny but does a fine job suiting our needs...mostly... One problem I've run into with a small space is storage space. I've had to get a little creative and maximize the empty space hiding in the room since we're lacking a pantry. However, our kitchen had about a 6" opening between our wall and the refrigerator. I decided I needed to utilize this hidden space and that's exactly what I did!

For those concerned about heat, the side of my refrigerator does not get warm/hot at all. I have had this since May and it has been a dream come true in my kitchen!

Check out the full post for full instructions with a shopping list, wood list and full tutorial.

http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/05/bu...

#Bestof2012 #StorageSolutions

46 Comments Displaying 15 of 46 comments | See Previous
  • Jan Oxford, OH
    Love it! Much more practical than my deep closet pantry for accessibility. And more air flow than my frig with cabinets above and on both sides, which don't pull out for easy dusting!
  • Mu husband built this for me and I love it, saves me so many steps while cooking!

• in the back of it, in the doorway, I would add a metal sheet and make it a messaging center so it looks like there is an obvious reason for it. Right now, with the handle as it is, it kind of stands out and says "lookie here"
    • Glenda myers Murphy, NC
      Karen Bates-Earnest My sweetie just built me one of these.. and it was my brain-storm.. :) Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it doesn't stay pulled out.. It's like a pocket door, it slides in beside the refrigerator. Neat idea, huh? I Love Mine <3
  • John Perez Orlando, FL
    nice
  • Does anyone know where something like this can be ordered?
    • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
      I have seen severl times in new kitchen cabinets..some Cabinet companies have them in their lines. just like other base cabinets..
  • Cheryl M Freeport, ME
    Paul Nunez I think most are home made but I would think if you contacted any cabnet maker they could put one together very easily and maybe match it to your kitchen.
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    I have seen this so many times, each time it reminds me how LITTLE SPACE it takes to make storage sometimes... this idea could be used ANYWHERE they put a filler strip or a few inches! I don't want a huge home,,,,just a WELL DESIGNED KITCHEN... this
  • Arlene A. Boynton Beach, FL
    I could use the same idea to put a pull-out to hang a broom, portable vac, etc. I always thought they would slip to the back and I wouldn't be able to get to them without moving the refrigerator. The PULL OUT makes all the difference. Thanks.
  • Ellie Poole Macomb, MI
    material list would be nice and example measurement
  • Elaine Cowan Dover, DE
    When we were having our kitchen remodeled, I made sure that we order lots of pull out drawers. We now have a huge pantry with six pullout drawers. All my canned goods and boxes are easily found when I need them. It also makes it easier to write up my
  • Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Our old/new home has hand-made cabinets; but they are not very practical. My husband made pull out shelves for some of the base cabinets for such things as cookware, bread machines and other large heavy items. But we still have not figured out what to do
  • Terri S Lafayette, IN
    Good idea overall, but doesn't it get hot on the cans that close to the fridge?
  • Charity Maher Port Matilda, PA
    I love this idea!