Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Modge Podge vs White Glue

20 hours ago
I'm pretty cheap (and don't have a craft store handy). Can I use watered down white glue in place of Modge Podge? I'm revamping a table by adding a larger plywood top, and am going to cover it with old hymn book pages.
39 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 18 of 39 comments | See Previous
  • Ruth LaMarr
    Ruth LaMarr Marion, OH
    You can purchase Mod Podge in the craft section of most department stores.
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Most of the time for large projects I use 50/50 glue to water ratio, because I'm cheap LOL. Then Poly it with 3 coats. Haven't had the 'yellowing' problem. ;)
  • Trashy Treasures
    Trashy Treasures Beaverton, OR
    I have used elmers glue in place of mod podge with no problems
  • Ranelle
    Ranelle Springfield, OR
    Yes June, I have had the problem with mod podge projects being "sticky" and have ruined many surfaces because something has stuck to them. But, as many others have suggested...clear your table with a clear urethane after the mod podge and it will take
  • June
    June New Paltz, NY
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I think I can still seal it with the urethane even tho it was done several years ago. Much appreciated.
  • Linda
    Linda Ontonagon, MI
    You know if you use glue and water or Modge Podge, you can varnish over the top. I have done that.
  • Lora Howard
    Lora Howard Richmond, TX
    Nancy, who says you need a craft store? WalMart carries ModPodge too!
  • Nancy Spencer Carlson
    Car not available this week, and to get to WallyWorld I'd definitely need one. Besides, I try to avoid that place. ;-)
  • Judy
    Judy Holly, MI
    Nancy, I tend to avoid WalMart, too (due to my own views on the company), but sometimes it's necessary. If you are a member of Amazon Prime, you can get free shipping on lots of stuff, including ModPodge in the Gallon size. I find lots of crafty stuff,
  • Nancy Spencer Carlson
    Amazon Prime is something I really should do, because not only would it save on shipping, it would also save on the actual cost of products, in my experience. Just another thing to do... ;-)
  • Maggie Hugie
    Maggie Hugie Salt Lake City, UT
    I use a mixture of about 2/3rds white glue (like Elmers) and 1/3 water. I always use a water based polyurethane sealer over the top. On a table I would probably use 5 or 6 coats of the sealer just to make sure everything is waterproof and it makes clean
  • Nancy Spencer Carlson
    I never did get this table made. Turns out I we inherited my mil's mcm gray formica table. And then we moved! Now that I think of it, this table base is now covered with a 24x46" piece of plywood, primed for another project that didn't happen, and
  • Jessie
    jessie United Kingdom
    What is mod podge? I'm from UK ☺️
    • Nancy Spencer Carlson
      Jessie it's basically thin white glue. It is used to attach and seal paper products to something else. It was all the rage back in the 70's for decoupage, if you are familiar with that. It's back again. Follow the recipes on here to make your own!
  • Maggie Hugie
    Maggie Hugie Salt Lake City, UT
    I lived at 107 Springs Road Nancy, it was one of the farmhouses built before the Revolutionary War. Bedford was a wonderful sleepy little town when I was there. I am sure its changed but I hope you enjoy it.
    • Nancy Spencer Carlson
      Maggie Hugie I drive by your old place every week on my way to the VA. We live off Summer St, and I am ashamed to say the most I get out is when I go to the VA. I live in my house, dreaming up projects!
  • Maggie Hugie
    Maggie Hugie Salt Lake City, UT
    Thanks Nancy, please wave at the old place the next time you pass by. I have lots of projects going too.
Nancy Spencer Carlson

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing