Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Antique Trunk/Coffee Table with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Trunks 8 hours ago
I have been asking about readers opinions about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint lately. I am not a huge fan of chalk paint but the reason is because I don't find it a good paint to do "fine" painting in. By "fine" painting, I mean a smooth finish with an even sheen and minimal brush marks. However, rather than sound like a hater of Annie Sloan, I decided I would do a piece with her red emperor's silk. I tinted the clear wax with my own tints to get it the exact colour I wanted. And, yes, I really did obsessively paint around all that brass hardware. The legs are painted black with my custom red glaze on them. Hubbie says its finished and to leave it alone. I'm not so sure. The only question I have is: should I add brass or bronze paint to the bottom of the feet to tie them in with the top? Or would you leave it as is?

Jacqui

www.portaverdestudio.com

www.facebook.com/portaverdestudio

68 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 20 of 68 comments | See Previous
  • Anna Erishkigal
    Anna Erishkigal East Sandwich, MA
    Just a safety tip on these ... I converted one into a coffee table ... and then heard screams one day when my daughter locked her little brother into it and couldn't figure out how to get him out. I had to break the lock to get him out and ended up
  • Cyndie Shevlin
    Cyndie Shevlin Rochester, NY
    Drill air holes in the bottom for safety, too.
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    awesome. I love it with legs. I had it for years from university. good idea to use it as coffee table with storage like blankets, pillows for bed sofa, recliners, etc...... ty for sharing.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    It turned out beautiful as usual with your projects. I believe different paints for different pieces. And I always go the grunt work before in use any paint because it helps ensure a prefect finish. But in this case this is beautiful and prefect!
  • Marion Nesbitt
    Let it be. It is finished.
  • Marianne
    Marianne Wilmington, NC
    It's Done. Love it.
  • Tesoromio
    I have one like this... I like to give some of this look. How did you paint it? can I get the steps to do it myself ?

Your looks

• Porta Verde Studio
      Teso yes, you can do it yourself. Tape around all the hardware on the trunk or handpaint around them and then just roll or brush out the chalk paint. It took several coats of red though so be patient ;)
  • Shaun Cotnam
    Beautiful! I have one to do as well. What should you do if the brass is rusty??
    • Porta Verde Studio
      Shaun Cotnam if you have rust on the brass, you can use a commercial rust remover or a bit of WD-40 and very fine steel wood. If it's a brass coating, rubbing it hard will remove the brass and show the metall underneath. Good luck.
  • Mariae Acosta Westbrook
    Mariae Acosta Westbrook Pottsville, AR
    What type of paint did you used? Is it chalk paint?
  • Stormie Remus
    Stormie Remus Villard, MN
    My Father was in WW11 and I have had his trunk since he passed. It is out in the brooder house because It is not @ all attractive, but couldn't part with it because it was my dads'. I'm so thrilled to see what can be done. They are beautiful. Thank you
  • Liz
    Liz La Puente, CA
    I'd love to see the legs bronzed or burnished in some way. I have an old trunk like this one, inherited from by great grandparents, to my grandmother to my mother to me. I didn't know what to do with it since it has to be in the house, so I used black
  • Kim Lesher
    I'm painting one this weekend... Do you have a paint that you would suggest? I'm going from a Blue trunk to an espresso.
    • Porta Verde Studio
      Kim Lesher I tend to like oil or good quality latex. Benjamin Moores new Advance paint is very good and has a longer drying to so there are not so many brush marks.
  • Kimberly Bowie
    Kimberly Bowie Hanston, KS
    Where do you buy Annie Sloan paints I'm having trouble finding them
  • Kathy
    Kathy West Point, MS
    I love the color of the legs. They look stained rather than painted. What is the glaze?
  • Nicki Parrish @ Sweet Parrish Place
    This is lovely!!
Porta Verde Studio

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing