Chalkboard Countertops

I didn't like my 30 year old laminate countertops from the moment I moved in to my house 5 years ago. I wanted something that looked like stone but less expensive. One night I got the idea to paint my counters with chalkboard paint. Not only is it beautiful, it's functional too. How would you like to write your grocery list right on your counter?
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50.00 Difficulty: Easy
This is the after photo two years later. They've held up great! I've only touched up a few spots here and there. It's food safe and I can lay hot pots directly on the counter.
Above is the kitchen as we bought it 5 years ago, looking a bit tired. I prepped our counters by sanding them and wiping them clean. I used painters tape around the areas I didn't want paint.
With a 6in roller & 1 quart of Satin Black countertop paint as my base coat, I went to work. After I let the paint dry overnight it looked like the picture above. Not a very good look yet.
On the second day I was excited to use the Matte Black Chalkboard Paint (1 quart). I let the paint dry overnight again. I woke up to beautiful stone like counters. I couldn't be more pleased.
It's like having new countertops but I can write messages on them! After I'm done writing my grocery list I can just wipe it off with a wet washcloth or disinfectant wipes.
**Ecos paints has a 100% nontoxic, No VOC & allergy free chalkboard paint which would be food safe. Or you can put a clear nontoxic coat over regular chalkboard paint. I'm replacing the tile backsplash soon, never finished! :)
Years later my counters still look beautiful.

To see more:

• Chicago, IL
    The countertop looks great!
  • Connie Nikiforoff Designs
    Ooooh it's lovely! Love the look but I'd always be losing my notes/shopping list because I wipe my counters so frequently. ;-) What a great idea though!
    • Vicki Pemberton
      Vicki Pemberton Harriman, TN
      Connie - I'm thinking of painting the inside of a cabinet door for grocery lists and notes. This might be an option for you
  • Annette
    Annette Louisville, KY
    What about knife slippage! I use a large cutting board for chopping, but sometimes when cutting something really hard, my knife slips and hits the countertop. How would you fix the big scratch for it yo look right? It's bound to happen to anyone who
  • Wendy
    wendy Latexo, TX
    How does it hold up around the stove? Do grease splatters show?
  • Vicki Pemberton
    Vicki Pemberton Harriman, TN
    We just started plank countertops but want to try the chalkboard paint inside a cabinet door for grocery lists and notes etc. Love the look of bright white cabinets and black countertops
Courtney - March Orchard

Search Feedback