Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Chalkboard Countertops

Dream Home Yesterday
I didn't like my 30 year old laminate countertops from the moment I moved in to my house 5 years ago. I wanted something that looked like stone but less expensive. One night I got the idea to paint my counters with chalkboard paint. Not only is it beautiful, it's functional too. How would you like to write your grocery list right on your counter?
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50.00 Difficulty: Easy
This is the after photo two years later. They've held up great! I've only touched up a few spots here and there. It's food safe and I can lay hot pots directly on the counter.
Above is the kitchen as we bought it 5 years ago, looking a bit tired. I prepped our counters by sanding them and wiping them clean. I used painters tape around the areas I didn't want paint.
With a 6in roller & 1 quart of Satin Black countertop paint as my base coat, I went to work. After I let the paint dry overnight it looked like the picture above. Not a very good look yet.
On the second day I was excited to use the Matte Black Chalkboard Paint (1 quart). I let the paint dry overnight again. I woke up to beautiful stone like counters. I couldn't be more pleased.
It's like having new countertops but I can write messages on them! After I'm done writing my grocery list I can just wipe it off with a wet washcloth or disinfectant wipes.
**Ecos paints has a 100% nontoxic, No VOC & allergy free chalkboard paint which would be food safe. Or you can put a clear nontoxic coat over regular chalkboard paint. I'm replacing the tile backsplash soon, never finished! :)
Years later my counters still look beautiful.

To see more: http://marchorchard.blogspot.com/2011/12/chalkboard-counter-tops.html

278 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 19 of 278 comments | See Previous
  • Sherran Herman
    Sherran Herman Salisbury, NC
    The laminate is coming loose from my countertops. Do you think I could do this on the wood under the laminate? Any suggestions? Love this. Had granite in my other house and hated it.
  • Lisabeachmorgan
    lisabeachmorgan Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    This is a fabulous idea & an economical way to transform a kitchen on a budget. The counters beautifully accent the cabinets. :)
  • HappyNanaSTLMO
    HappyNanaSTLMO Saint Louis, MO
    Brilliant and beautiful, Courtney! Ditto what others are saying about the cabinets ... I love them too!
  • Linda L
    Linda L Seabeck, WA
    I love the whole new look.
  • Dorene
    Dorene Springfield, VA
    I think your kitchen looks fabulous! Love the painted cabinets and the new look of your beautiful counters!
  • Sharon Montebello
    Sharon Montebello Clinton, MS
    fantasic job!!! it looks fabulous! can't believe it is chalkboard paint.
  • Lynne Hinkey
    Lynne Hinkey Charleston, SC
    Were the countertops wood or laminate that looked like wood?
  • Kim Yurjevich
    Kim Yurjevich Poulsbo, WA
    It says laminate in her post.
  • Cristie
    Cristie Farmingville, NY
    What kind of cleaner can you use on this surface? Love the idea!!
  • Carroll B
    Carroll B Moultrie, GA
    Looks like a brand new kitchen. I love your cabinets!!!!
  • Linda Seely
    Linda Seely Belmond, IA
    I have been looking for something to do w/ mine, this is very clever and sharp looking!
  • Ortiz Melissa
    Ortiz Melissa Palm Bay, FL
    What a great job!
  • Mariann Welliver
    saw your post Sat night...painted my counter tops Sunday!
  • Mariann Welliver
    Last night they looked great. The real test is when i get to see them in the daytime. Hopefully I'll get a chance after work before the sun sets.
  • Amanda W
    Amanda W Ambler, PA
    I plan to do this too. I was going to order new wood countertops and paint them. Would this work better than the laminate do you think? Also do you have to do satin base followed by matte or was that trial and error?
Courtney - March Orchard

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing