Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Before & After 3 days ago

Chalkboard Countertops

I didn't like my 30 year old laminate countertops from the moment I moved in to my house 5 years ago. I wanted something that looked like stone but less expensive. One night I got the idea to paint my counters with chalkboard paint. Not only is it beautiful, it's functional too. How would you like to write your grocery list right on your counter?
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50.00 Difficulty: Easy
Years later my counters still look beautiful.

To see more: http://marchorchard.blogspot.com/2011/12/chalkboard-counter-tops.html

185 Comments Displaying 16 of 185 comments | See Previous
  • Lavende
    Lavende Costa Mesa, CA
    So creative! I'd never have thought that chalkboard paint would hold up in the kitchen like that, this opens up a whole new world of ideas. How has the maintenance of them been for you?
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Courtney - March Orchard
      Lavende Hi Lavende, The maintenance is very easy. I only touch up the counters once a year, if that. It's as easy as touching up paint. Other than that it's just like a normal
    • Keisha
      Keisha Queens Village, NY
      Lavende So glad you asked about maintenance. I was concerned about scratching and heat as well. Great job Courtney - March Orchard !!
  • Jeri Harrison-Grace
    That is a cool idea!!! I am sticking this idea of yours in my back pocket for future reno how awesome!
  • Ksch
    I painted my counters with the chalkboard paint and unfortunately my sink leaked overnight, leaveing standing water on the countertops. The paint then bubbled and when I went to wipe it, I actually stripped the paint off. Have you had this issue? Did
    • Courtney - March Orchard
      Ksch Hi Ksch, No I haven't had any issues with the paint wiping off at all. Had the paint dried yet? Did you put a countertop base coat on before you painted it with the chalkboard paint? Did you
  • Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air
    Looks so very nice!
  • Nicole
    Nicole New York, NY
    What material were you painting on? I have formica and want to use chalkboard paint, but everything I read seems to indicate it won't take on that surface!
    • Courtney - March Orchard
      Nicole I have laminate counters. Formica is a type of laminate, so yes you can paint on them. I used countertop paint as my base and then painted chalkboard paint on top of the base coat.
  • Lydia Savoie
    I am wondering if you have the directions from start to finish on how you did this. I am very much interested in trying this! Thanks
  • Sara Brown
    What was the countertop paint you used as a base?
  • Sandra Hatfield
    I love this ideal. I am going to try this.
  • Felicia
    felicia Asheboro, NC
    Thank you for sharing this. Your instructions were great. I just completed mine and love the results. I used the rustoleum countertop coat like suggested and the ecos chalkboard paint for the top coat. I love it. Your instructions were great. I now
  • Maggie Bancroft
    Maggie Bancroft Sarasota, FL
    Felicia, I am new to chalkboard painting also but my daughter isn't. She says to use B.I.N. shellac based primer then paint then use a polycrylic clear gloss. 3 coats. This is on my list as soon as it cools down a bit here in Fl. I want to have the
Courtney - March Orchard