Chalkboard Countertops

Decor Ideas 44 minutes ago
I didn't like my 30 year old laminate countertops from the moment I moved in to my house 5 years ago. I wanted something that looked like stone but less expensive. One night I got the idea to paint my counters with chalkboard paint. Not only is it beautiful, it's functional too. How would you like to write your grocery list right on your counter?
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50.00 Difficulty: Easy
This is the after photo two years later. They've held up great! I've only touched up a few spots here and there. It's food safe and I can lay hot pots directly on the counter.
Above is the kitchen as we bought it 5 years ago, looking a bit tired. I prepped our counters by sanding them and wiping them clean. I used painters tape around the areas I didn't want paint.
With a 6in roller & 1 quart of Satin Black countertop paint as my base coat, I went to work. After I let the paint dry overnight it looked like the picture above. Not a very good look yet.
On the second day I was excited to use the Matte Black Chalkboard Paint (1 quart). I let the paint dry overnight again. I woke up to beautiful stone like counters. I couldn't be more pleased.
It's like having new countertops but I can write messages on them! After I'm done writing my grocery list I can just wipe it off with a wet washcloth or disinfectant wipes.
**Ecos paints has a 100% nontoxic, No VOC & allergy free chalkboard paint which would be food safe. Or you can put a clear nontoxic coat over regular chalkboard paint. I'm replacing the tile backsplash soon, never finished! :)
Years later my counters still look beautiful.

To see more: http://marchorchard.blogspot.com/2011/12/chalkboard-counter-tops.html

• Ortiz Melissa
    Ortiz Melissa Palm Bay, FL
    What a great job!
  • Mariann Welliver
    Mariann Welliver Greensboro, NC
    saw your post Sat night...painted my counter tops Sunday!
  • Mariann Welliver
    Mariann Welliver Greensboro, NC
    Last night they looked great. The real test is when i get to see them in the daytime. Hopefully I'll get a chance after work before the sun sets.
  • Amanda W
    Amanda W Ambler, PA
    I plan to do this too. I was going to order new wood countertops and paint them. Would this work better than the laminate do you think? Also do you have to do satin base followed by matte or was that trial and error?
    • Judy Parkey
      Judy Parkey Madill, OK
      Amanda W I've painted a few items with Rustoleum's chalk paint. They recommend a latex based prime coat.
  • Elaine Walters Haddad
    Would this work on textured laminate countertops?
  • Jill Vokey
    Jill Vokey Plymouth, MA
    They look great I wish I could do that with my countertops.
  • Judy Parkey
    Judy Parkey Madill, OK
    I'm painting a foamboard to turn into a chalkboard for my daughter's wedding reception. I spilled some paint on the "too ugly to ruin" laminate counter top that I have. As I was wiping it up...I thought, "wonder if I can paint this "too ugle to ruin"
  • Judy Parkey
    Judy Parkey Madill, OK
    Did you wait to the three days to let it dry and then cure with rubbed on chalkboard?
  • Wifealexander
    I did my backsplash and loved it. Then decided to do the counter. That is how I found this spot. Thanks! Now counter tops. I was not sure of safety. I am so stoked.
  • Angela Estrada
    Angela Estrada Goodlettsville, TN
    Do you have to put a sealer of some sort on top on the paint?
  • Cindy Jozefiak
    Cindy Jozefiak Lewisville, TX
    Courtney, I'm in Dallas too! I would love to do this. Is it ok to use cleansers (409, etc.) on the countered? Also, did you roll the chalkboard paint on with a roller or use a brush? Thanks! Great job!!
    • Mariann Welliver
      Mariann Welliver Greensboro, NC
      Cindy Jozefiak I painted mine a few months ago and I use the concentrated cleaner that you can get from the Dollar Tree diluted 10 - 1. It works great! I posted pictures below.
  • Mariann Welliver
    Mariann Welliver Greensboro, NC
    Yair Spolter The longer you wait to use your counters after you paint them the better. Mine were dry after 24 hours. I waited 2 days. Should have waited at least 4, but even so there were only a few dings, which I touched up.
    • Mariann Welliver
      Mariann Welliver Greensboro, NC
      Cindy Jozefiak I used a roller to do most of the counter and a sponge brush for the corners. Yes, the paper towel left lint but we bought reusable lint-free towels and they work great.
  • Nita whisenhunt
    Nita whisenhunt Abilene, TX
    Love this My cabinets were brown now white just like your.countertops just like yours,can't wait to try this,thank you.

Texas

• Centrd
    centrd Oceanside, CA
    They look like soapstone! I'm doing this in my laundry room for sure. But I wonder if it would work on Corian? I hate the Corian in my kitchen.
  • Jan
    jan Sanford, FL
    Wow what a difference from the original kitchen---and I love the notes on the counters
Courtney - March Orchard