Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
11.06.13

Black spots on my apples

My apple tree is 6 years old and this is the first year it has produced fruit, but also the first year that the tree seems to be sick. The fruit has black spots and some of the leaves are yellow, browning on the tips or curling. The weather has been heavy rains with dry spells and very hot. We do not spray the tree and I did not fertilize it this year. Does anyone have an idea what is going on and how we can avoid it next year?
17 Comments Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Take a branch and apple to your local extension office. They should be able to tell you exactly what this is and what to do about it. Fire blight on apple trees is pretty rare, normally it effects pear trees. Cedar apple rust is more of a problem, and
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I'm with Catherine. I would also add that it's really hard to get edible fruit from an apple tree without some type of spray program, even an organic one. Here, for example, is a spray schedule using organic options:
  • Donna Dixson
    Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    I am in agreement with Douglas Hunt , it is a challenge to get any significant crop from fruit trees without a regular maintenance program. Also you may want to check with the county
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Thank-you everyone for your input. Catherine Smith will visit the Extension office soon, Douglas Hunt I hadn't realized that,
  • Jeanne B
    Jeanne B Cleveland, TN
    I have two apple trees, & was told that the spots are rust spots from nearby cedar trees. I don't eat the apples as they aren't good tasting anyway. but that explained my problem as several cedar trees are around here in Tennessee
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Jeanne B that is so weird! No cedar, but I am surrounded by silver maple trees, hmm.
  • Jeanne B
    Jeanne B Cleveland, TN
    yes it is weird, the picture of the apple above (pink Lady apple) is like the spots on my apples, A master gardener , is the one who told me that is was called cedar apple rust.???? I don't know about ur silver maple trees.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    well, your maples won't cause rust. It comes from cedars. However, there are varieties that are bred to be cedar apple rust resistant. It pays to double check that sort of thing when putting in a home orchard. We lost 2 Barlett pear trees to rust, so we
  • Laura
    Laura Cambridge, OH
    I have 4 apple trees and just noticed 2 of them are doing the same thing, they are red/green very juicy, but same problem. The other two trees are fine! My apple trees and Roses, both same looking problem. Uhmmm!
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    @Laura, your roses probably have black spot. Another type of fungi, make sure you clean the bed throughly, bag and discard any fallen leaves. Black spot is an air borne fungus. It gets on your rose leaves and starts reproducing. When the infected leaves
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Laura I wonder if it has more to do with weather conditions than soil--we've never had this happen before to the apples. My tomatoes are also affected and think maybe spores get carried on the wind?
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Weather this year is definitely a factor. Because of all the rain, fungi and mold have been a real issue all over the country. But your tomato problem is not coming from your apples. Two entirely different breeds of cat or mold there. This is where an
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Catherine Smith --thank you, I hadn't realized they were "tax employees" now I won't feel like a pest.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    The extension offices are branches of your land grant college. The program was started in the 40s I believe and is designed to help both farmers and home gardeners with problems, etc.
  • 4jai
    I read that it can be sooty blotch.
Dee W

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!