Black spots on my apples

My apple tree is 6 years old and this is the first year it has produced fruit, but also the first year that the tree seems to be sick. The fruit has black spots and some of the leaves are yellow, browning on the tips or curling. The weather has been heavy rains with dry spells and very hot. We do not spray the tree and I did not fertilize it this year. Does anyone have an idea what is going on and how we can avoid it next year?
  • One of a dozen pink lady apples with black spots
  • Leaves are turning color and curling
  • Both healthy leaves and sickly leaves on the tree
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Laura I wonder if it has more to do with weather conditions than soil--we've never had this happen before to the apples. My tomatoes are also affected and think maybe spores get carried on the wind?
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Weather this year is definitely a factor. Because of all the rain, fungi and mold have been a real issue all over the country. But your tomato problem is not coming from your apples. Two entirely different breeds of cat or mold there. This is where an
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Catherine Smith --thank you, I hadn't realized they were "tax employees" now I won't feel like a pest.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    The extension offices are branches of your land grant college. The program was started in the 40s I believe and is designed to help both farmers and home gardeners with problems, etc.
  • 4jaimsmom
    4jaimsmom Fredonia, NY
    I read that it can be sooty blotch.
Dee W
Thank you {% auth.user().name %} for answering this question & helping the community!
Here are some more recent questions

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post