Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 6 days ago

DIY ~ Create Your Own Water Garden In A Container!

Did you know a pond isn't necessary for water gardening? You can do it in just about any container that is up to two feet deep! A container water garden is perfect for apartment balconies, patios, decks or as accents in the garden. Easy to set up and versatile, anybody can do this! Read all the details you'll need to get started at

http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-cr...

#gardening

#SpringIdeas

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-create-your-own-water-garden-in-a-container/

56 Comments Displaying 15 of 56 comments | See Previous
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story ~ the lily pads do keep the water cooler for the fish and discourage the growth of algae as well.
  • Rosi McCoy Wilmington, DE
    Barb, If I make it to the LOTUS BLOSSOM FESTIVAL, I will definitely take and post pictures for you. It is not far from where we are and we have heard that it is a lovely event.
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Wouldn't you know that today I leave to visit my daughter in Oregon! Hope you can go and share it with me, Rosi McCoy ! There are a few of us Wilmingtonians on Hometalk - we should plan a Hometalk get-together : )
  • This is so pretty! What a great idea!
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks,Barbara Bamber ! This is a great quick little project!
  • Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Oh Barb Rosen I just love everything you do and this is no exception! PS: I'm STILL looking for that Garden Sink you have, I won't rest until I find one. xo
  • Drayborn Otsego, MI
    Sounds good especially in addition to the spiral garden design I want to implement next year, but what plants could I use that won't freeze up overwinter? Especially in such a small container.
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks so much, Sia@South 47th , such a sweet comment! I hope water gardens are in your future : )
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Drayborn ~ your area gets colder than here in Delaware, so check with the nurseries and garden centers nearby you. I drag my water tubs into my garden room in winter except for the whiskey
  • I'm with Sia@South 47th - fixated on the garden sink! Look what you've done to us, Barb!
  • Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Barb Rosen I hope they are as well!! Someday soon! xox
  • Pludie Eufaula, AL
    Hope i'm not being dumb for asking this question, but doesn't mosquitoes gather in the water? I know I am constantly having to dump the water out from around my house because of those pesky little varmits.
    • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
      Pludie ~ not a dumb question at all! I use mosquito dunks once a month in each container (Nontoxic to people and critters). Some folks like to use fish, but I have no place to take them in during winter and wouldn't want them to die when it gets cold.
  • Kerri Canada
    we have no mosquito problems in the water features, either the ponds or the smaller features such as the washtub garden and the other assorted containers I have decided screamed to hold water plants -- the trick I was told is to keep the water in