Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Beautiful Murals 15 hours ago

Natural Weed Control That Works

Natural Weed Control

I don't usually post these things unless I have tried them, And this works. I was amazed how fast I saw results too.

Mix:

1 Gallon white vinegar

2 cups multi purpose epsom salt

1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap

Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.

I used this in the morning around 10 am went back in a couple hours and the weeds were wilting and turning color, a few hours later, bye bye weeds. Use this every couple weeks to control weeds, all safer for the environment, and allot safer to have around the house with children and pets.

133 Comments Displaying 16 of 133 comments | See Previous
  • Marjie
    Marjie Ramseur, NC
    In response that Epsom salt is good for gardens. Great for soil, not for foliage. Epsom salt solutions need to be worked into the soil, not sprayed on foliage, it will result in leaf scorch. It is an excellent drying agent. So it does have a purpose in
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Jody Perkins
      Jody Perkins Anguilla, MS
      Marjie This is incorrect. Epsom Salt works best when it's mixed with water and sprayed directly onto the leaves of a plant. Plants can absorb it much better this way.
  • Kims
    Hello, I am in Atlanta - and recently had 4 Pear Trees cut down -- leaving the stump (due to the underground utilities around them). This area is mainly covered in a nice ivy. HOWEVER, shoots are sprouting up everywhere within the ivy from the trees.
  • Kat Davis-Moran
    Kat Davis-Moran Punta Gorda, FL
    Kim's i do not think it will kill the stump, but should take care of the ivy, I had a stump in the front yard at one time what i did was cover it with leaves made a hump added some dirt n mulch n planted flowers on it after awhile the stump rotted n
  • Mkro
    Do you know how long it will last?
  • Grnacrz
    Grnacrz Boiling Springs, SC
    Why Dawn? Why not any dish washing liquid?
    • Kat Davis-Moran
      Kat Davis-Moran Punta Gorda, FL
      Do it know why just know I have tried others and only the blue dawn works
  • Jody Perkins
    Jody Perkins Anguilla, MS
    I'm sure that any dish washing liquid without bleach will work. Bleach will react with the vinegar and can possibly release Chlorine gas. I doubt that's a huge issue, but the reaction will basically neutralize the acidity and decrease the effectiveness
  • Jody Perkins
    Jody Perkins Anguilla, MS
    Vinegar kills the weed.

Epsom salt adds magnesium to the soil to help counteract the fact the lower pH (acidity) makes it harder for plants to

• Shelley
      Shelley Saugerties, NY
      Jody Perkins Vinegar never killed any weeds that I sprayed it on. I'm going to try it with epsom salts.
    • Jody Perkins
      Jody Perkins Anguilla, MS
      Shelley Epsom salt will not kill weeds. I generally mix 2 tablespoons to a gallon and pour over my peppers and tomatos and it has never harmed them. I've been doing this for almost 20 years.
  • Moto
    Anyone remember bug killer using dawn and spray on plants and remedy for Japanese beetles
  • Sybil Strawser
    Sybil Strawser Fairfax, VA
    It's the high amount of epsom salts that has a detrimental effect on weeds/plants and helps to kill them along with the vinegar. There's a big difference between watering your plants with 2 tablespoons of epsom salt in a gallon of water and 2 CUPS to a
  • Lori Robinson
    Lori Robinson Louisville, TN
    I've used the recipe above but with a few modifications, but let me be clear I actually use it to KILL weeds not around my garden or on vegetables, so I can't vouch for how it works in gardens, or debate as to how or why it works, I just know it does. I
  • Chris
    Chris Mount Juliet, TN
    Dish washing liquid acts as a surfactant (in the parlance of agri chemicals) which makes the liquid adhere to the foliage and thus be absorbed.
Kat Davis-Moran

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!