Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Cleaning solid hard wood flooring

Backyard Escapes 09.05.14
When you clean wood flooring you are cleaning the sealer. The sealer protects your wood.

Turn off beater bars on a rug vacuum cleaner.

Never use these products on wood. Vinegar! Your Grandma used it so that makes it okay right? Your Grandma used vinegar she also waxed her floors with a paste wax. She stripped and re sealed it and buffed it several times a year. Most people now have a polyurethane finish on their floors. Vinegar will cloud then etch through the finish. This leaves the wood exposed and vinegar damages the wood. Think of drift wood. Crafters use vinegar to bleach wood out kind of a grayish finish. Wood soap. It is vegetable oil. After mopping your floors with it the water dries and leaves a residue. It makes

Your finish cloudy and it is hard to get off your floors. The more you use the more it builds up.

Green cleaning is simple. Use a micro fiber mop and spray bottle

Of water. Lightly most the mop and then mop, and dry, water is the enemy to wood flooring so protect it, dry it. Need a deeper

88 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 17 of 88 comments | See Previous
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Thank You Miriam and thank you Essie!
  • Suzie
    Suzie Lakeland, FL
    @ Sherrie, well said from a southern/country lady!
  • Jan Hurta
    Jan Hurta Orland Park, IL
    Sherrie, The steamer is probably ok on the floor I should have been a little more explicate. I was referring to the grout on shower walls or on a back splash. The tiniest pinhole will let the steamy moisture behind the tile where mold can then start to
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Thanks Jan Hurta! The way you explained it I understand it and I appreciate that! I use a commercial steam cleaner once a year to clean my tile and re-seal it. And everyone in awhile in the bathroom floor I have white grout and hate it to ever look
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Lynn Holten you can have a new finish put on the floor without stripping everything.,,they have a giant like scotch which is really what it is. You will have to strip the finish if it is a large area. They can re-seal it. It is much cheaper than
  • Roberta Boyle
    Roberta Boyle Lowell, MA
    Thank you Sherrie !
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    MJ I am glad. It's easier than people think but every cleaning product says it works on hard woods it really becomes confusing. Thanks for letting me know!
  • Linda
    Linda Elmer, NJ
    Thanks for the info.
  • Jackie Erickson
    Jackie Erickson Endicott, NY
    Your welcome MJ. I have also recently seen Bona at Walmart. Haven't checked the price...may be cheaper there.
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      Jackie Erickson I don't know if this helps but we have a Bed, Bath and Beyond and their Bona is about $25.00 this is double the size of Walmart and Lowes. They have $5.00
  • Harlee Jenkins
    Harlee Jenkins Charlotte, NC
    Can I dry it, in sections, with a box fan on HIGH as I go?
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Harlee yes, just don't get the floor sopping wet. It's a really good idea!
  • Vycky Snypes
    Vycky Snypes Rockford, IL
    Thank You so much. I was attempting to clean hard wood stairs in a 116 yr old house. How do I re seal them?
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      Vycky I thought I had written you this nice long post some how it's missing. To re-seal the floors you need a professional.. Like Woodbridge. I have stripped and , stained and re-sealed my floors but I am not a professional. If has been wax sealed
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Sealing them is different from cleaning them. You have to find out what kind of sealer is on the floor. Go into the corner and scape the floor with your fingernail. If you can scrape something up it is probably sealed with wax. You can always reseal
  • Vycky Snypes
    Vycky Snypes Rockford, IL
    Sherrie What I meant was I cleaned them with Fabuloso I believe, plenty of water got in them, now I'm trying again to make them look nice. I really don't want to paint them, there
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Vycky here is one solution that AJ used to make her floors better

http://m.hometalk.com/#!/3360716/making-old-...

Sherrie

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing