Cleaning solid hard wood flooring

When you clean wood flooring you are cleaning the sealer. The sealer protects your wood.

Turn off beater bars on a rug vacuum cleaner.

Never use these products on wood. Vinegar! Your Grandma used it so that makes it okay right? Your Grandma used vinegar she also waxed her floors with a paste wax. She stripped and re sealed it and buffed it several times a year. Most people now have a polyurethane finish on their floors. Vinegar will cloud then etch through the finish. This leaves the wood exposed and vinegar damages the wood. Think of drift wood. Crafters use vinegar to bleach wood out kind of a grayish finish. Wood soap. It is vegetable oil. After mopping your floors with it the water dries and leaves a residue. It makes

Your finish cloudy and it is hard to get off your floors. The more you use the more it builds up.

Green cleaning is simple. Use a micro fiber mop and spray bottle

Of water. Lightly most the mop and then mop, and dry, water is the enemy to wood flooring so protect it, dry it. Need a deeper

• Melissa W
    Melissa W Middletown, OH
    I'm still confused. After reading everyones comments.. I have no clue what to use on my 1951 hardwood floors that have not seen the light of day till I bought this house last Sept. The floors are beautiful but the least little water on it leaves a spot.
  • Linda Rodenburg
    Linda Rodenburg Cedar Springs, MI
    What is Pro-shot?
  • Bonnie G
    Bonnie G Braselton, GA
    Cindy, can you let me know how this lasts for the floor. I made the mistake of putting Future on my wood floors in the hall and it started to peel and look really bad. I had to buy a wax remover and get on my hands and knees and with a plastic scraper
  • Terri
    Terri Rock Springs, WY
    What about using vinegar on laminate wood floors? I read that steamers are bad for wood but is vinegar bad for laminate also. Mine look good??
  • Ayo Maat
    Ayo Maat Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately, due to bed bugs, a member of termite family, embedding in hardwood floors, only way to effectively get rid of them and their eggs that lie dormant without poisoning you or your environment is steam cleaning or heat.
  • Lannie Hagan
    Lannie Hagan Broomfield, CO
    Thanks for the advice! I am just getting ready to have our floors redone. A refrigerator died while we were on vacation, flooded and ruined the hardwood in our kitchen. The boards are all cupped. So once it is done, we will know how better to take care
  • Cindy Laskevich
    Cindy Laskevich Rutland, VT
    I just coated my sealed hardwood floors with Pro-shot. First I sponge cleaned them with a little Murphy's oil soap in water, dried them, and then spread the proshot with a padded mop. They are so shiny now...they look beautiful!
  • Matthew Gingerella
    Matthew Gingerella Riverside, CA
    HI Sherrie, You and Sia convinced me - I will keep the steam mop on the linoleum! I was thinking about using on my hardwood - but I never got around to it. Good thing!
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Yes me too! I have so much stuff it's I have special rooms and many new shelves for it! : )
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    I'm 'old school' like you are in many ways Sherrie , yet love to use the techy new gadgets as well. ;)
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Sia@South 47th your welcome! I have several steamers believe it or not. I love love Oreck vacuum cleaners and decided I wanted a steam cleaner. I remember asking the sales man if it would hurt wood flooring. He told me No, it's really safe for wood
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    MJ after I read your comment I had to look up Orange Glo 4 in 1. There are tons of complaints over this product. The problem isn't the grandchild spilled their juice it's the Orange Glo. There are tons of complaints when someone has spilled water or
    • MJ
      MJ Conway, SC
      Sherrie Thanks for all the information. (Looks like I started a stir with my question!) I have stopped using the Orange Glo 4 in 1, and started using Bona and love it. The floor
  • Sia@South 47th
    Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
    Sherrie Thank you for once again letting Hometalk readers know to keep their Steam Cleaners OFF hardwoods. xox
  • MJ
    MJ Conway, SC
    @ Sherrie. Thanks. My hardwood floor is the original from when the house was built in 1961. I removed the carpet a couple years ago, and have been using Orange Glo- 4 in 1 on it and it revives it temporarily, until one of the grands spills juice and etc
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Creative Cain Cabin, we installed a exotic wood in my Mother's House ( no we are not flooring installer's, we love our family helpers) ) and I used Bona and it streaked her floors. I can use it on my floors with no problems.
Sherrie