Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 01.05.14

Cleaning solid hard wood flooring

When you clean wood flooring you are cleaning the sealer. The sealer protects your wood.

Turn off beater bars on a rug vacuum cleaner.

Never use these products on wood. Vinegar! Your Grandma used it so that makes it okay right? Your Grandma used vinegar she also waxed her floors with a paste wax. She stripped and re sealed it and buffed it several times a year. Most people now have a polyurethane finish on their floors. Vinegar will cloud then etch through the finish. This leaves the wood exposed and vinegar damages the wood. Think of drift wood. Crafters use vinegar to bleach wood out kind of a grayish finish. Wood soap. It is vegetable oil. After mopping your floors with it the water dries and leaves a residue. It makes

Your finish cloudy and it is hard to get off your floors. The more you use the more it builds up.

Green cleaning is simple. Use a micro fiber mop and spray bottle

Of water. Lightly most the mop and then mop, and dry, water is the enemy to wood flooring so protect it, dry it. Need a deeper

82 Comments Displaying 15 of 82 comments | See Previous
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Suzie Thank You! And Yes you have always cleaned it right!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Sherrie thank you so much for your valuable tips!
  • Essie Issaquah, WA
    Sherrie, I just moved to a place with beautiful hardwoods, and I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to share your knowledge of how to care for them properly.
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Thank You Miriam and thank you Essie!
  • Suzie Lakeland, FL
    @ Sherrie, well said from a southern/country lady!
  • Jan Hurta Orland Park, IL
    Sherrie, The steamer is probably ok on the floor I should have been a little more explicate. I was referring to the grout on shower walls or on a back splash. The tiniest pinhole will let the steamy moisture behind the tile where mold can then start to
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Thanks Jan Hurta! The way you explained it I understand it and I appreciate that! I use a commercial steam cleaner once a year to clean my tile and re-seal it. And everyone in awhile in the bathroom floor I have white grout and hate it to ever look
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Lynn Holten you can have a new finish put on the floor without stripping everything.,,they have a giant like scotch which is really what it is. You will have to strip the finish if it is a large area. They can re-seal it. It is much cheaper than
  • Roberta Boyle Lowell, MA
    Thank you Sherrie !
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    MJ I am glad. It's easier than people think but every cleaning product says it works on hard woods it really becomes confusing. Thanks for letting me know!
  • Linda Elmer, NJ
    Thanks for the info.
  • Jackie Erickson Endicott, NY
    Your welcome MJ. I have also recently seen Bona at Walmart. Haven't checked the price...may be cheaper there.
    • Sherrie Nixa, MO
      Jackie Erickson I don't know if this helps but we have a Bed, Bath and Beyond and their Bona is about $25.00 this is double the size of Walmart and Lowes. They have $5.00 coupons they send
  • Harlee Jenkins Charlotte, NC
    Can I dry it, in sections, with a box fan on HIGH as I go?
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Harlee yes, just don't get the floor sopping wet. It's a really good idea!