Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
08.09.13

Hay in compost

I have a compost pile and my room-mate has 2 bunnies I was using the leftover hay and manure in my compost but I began noticing many weeds in my gardens and contributed to the hay so I stopped using it but I hate to see all that organic hay and manure go to waste should I use it in my compost ?
39 Comments Displaying 16 of 39 comments | See Previous
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    Sia@South 47th actually this is not true as I explained in my post about the 1/2 life of chemicals. and yes there are many questios about this but as you would prefer to belive the media on this than facts go right ahead
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E sorry luv I'm not one to ever trust in the media, never have. So that point is mute with me. I'd love to see your research you mentioned you had. Please do email. Until I actually see
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    I would like to email you this research but as it belongs to texas a&m university I cannot do so all I can do is quote results until it is published
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    did I state that no I did not what I stated was that a herbicides would not be present in composted material in a amount to harm the plants the compost was used on please do not misconstrue my words or try to put words in my mouth many pesticides are
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      April E I understand quite well what you were writing about. Kindly, do not assume you are so knowledgable that some of the rest of us are not capable of doing our own research and drawing are
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Bonnie, I apologize, we seemed to have highjacked your thread with this "discussion". Hopefully you got some information on your question before that happened.
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      Catherine Smith I too apologize for hijacking the thread. Whenever this discussion is raised it seems to create, a lot of buzz. xo
    • Bonnie Bassett
      Bonnie Bassett Hinsdale, NH
      Catherine Smith well it is all interesting but I am sorry my question caused such controversy so let us all agree to disagree thank you everyone for all advice and comments :)
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    this research is being funded by a group of 3 texas and Oklahoma farmers cooperatives as they have been worried about skewed results being presented by the chemical companies therefore there have been no pressures from big money to show results in favor
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E so it's not through Texas A&M? Its local Farmers Co-op? Ahhh. Well then if this is as you say: Quote: "some of the most important chemical research that has been done in the last
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    apparently you have no understanding of the word funding. nor how educational institutions get funding for experimentation and that many groups supply funds to educational institutions to research the information they need and as I stated before this
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E Nah, I'm just a woman who has written grants for various institutions, written and implemented various programs for large institutions, has a Masters Degree and was working on my PhD.
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    then why did you just make your previous comment, lmao, you are the one making assumptions, also the one being obtuse ad making specious comments for the sake of argument. I personally do not care in the least what you think or if your "believe" the
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E What are your credentials? I was not in any way attempting be be rude, only responding to the antagonistic and insulting 'tone' of your statements.
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    see there you go again putting words into my mouth I did not say all chemicals were good I have even stated specific chemicals that are harmful. what I have been saying is that some chemicals by their make up are not harmful to the environment the word
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    @Bonnie Bassett, you have nothing to be sorry about and for heaven sake don't let this little "tempest in a teapot" keep you from asking more questions on gardening issues or anything else for that matter. ^-^
Bonnie Bassett
  • Like

Catherine Smith

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!