Hay in compost

08.09.13
I have a compost pile and my room-mate has 2 bunnies I was using the leftover hay and manure in my compost but I began noticing many weeds in my gardens and contributed to the hay so I stopped using it but I hate to see all that organic hay and manure go to waste should I use it in my compost ?
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    then why did you just make your previous comment, lmao, you are the one making assumptions, also the one being obtuse ad making specious comments for the sake of argument. I personally do not care in the least what you think or if your "believe" the
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E What are your credentials? I was not in any way attempting be be rude, only responding to the antagonistic and insulting 'tone' of your statements.
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    apparently you have no understanding of the word funding. nor how educational institutions get funding for experimentation and that many groups supply funds to educational institutions to research the information they need and as I stated before this
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E Nah, I'm just a woman who has written grants for various institutions, written and implemented various programs for large institutions, has a Masters Degree and was
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    this research is being funded by a group of 3 texas and Oklahoma farmers cooperatives as they have been worried about skewed results being presented by the chemical companies therefore there have been no pressures from big money to show results in favor
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E so it's not through Texas A&M? Its local Farmers Co-op? Ahhh. Well then if this is as you say: Quote: "some of the most important chemical research that has been done in
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Bonnie, I apologize, we seemed to have highjacked your thread with this "discussion". Hopefully you got some information on your question before that happened.
    • Bonnie Bassett
      Bonnie Bassett Hinsdale, NH
      Catherine Smith well it is all interesting but I am sorry my question caused such controversy so let us all agree to disagree thank you everyone for all advice and comments :)
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    did I state that no I did not what I stated was that a herbicides would not be present in composted material in a amount to harm the plants the compost was used on please do not misconstrue my words or try to put words in my mouth many pesticides are
    • Catherine Smith
      Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
      April E I understand quite well what you were writing about. Kindly, do not assume you are so knowledgable that some of the rest of us are not capable of doing our own research
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    I would like to email you this research but as it belongs to texas a&m university I cannot do so all I can do is quote results until it is published
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    Sia@South 47th actually this is not true as I explained in my post about the 1/2 life of chemicals. and yes there are many questios about this but as you would prefer to belive the media on this than facts go right ahead
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E sorry luv I'm not one to ever trust in the media, never have. So that point is mute with me. I'd love to see your research you mentioned you had. Please do email. Until I
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    Catherine I do understand I am not speaking of "advertised" 1/2 life 0i am speaking scientifically proven 1/2 life. I do not nor have not ever worked for a chemical company. however I have been heavily involved in the outside testing of these chemicals.
    • Sia@South 47th
      Sia@South 47th Sacramento, CA
      April E And GMO's are a good thing to you as well I presume? Chems, and GMO = Not good for anyone, anything, anywhere.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Bonnie Bassett, you may not be glad you asked, LOL However, herbicides are commonly known as weedkillers, their basically pesticides for weeds. The are chemically produced and
  • Cindy tustin
    Cindy tustin Arcadia, KS
    We raised for market usually about 50 breeding does and the manure and urine fell through the wire bottoms of cages onto trays that were pulled and emptied we fed a pellet that contained everything the rabbit needed and had wire baskets on outside of
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    April, you have evidently misunderstood my level of "fear" factor. I am concerned that others who are trying to use alternative gardening methods, understand there may be things they need to be aware of that could cause them serious problems. I do have
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    Catherine I am not speaking of "shelf" life I am talking chemical 1/2 life and you can quote as many studies to me as you wish if you would prefer I can quote just as many back that states your wrong and since I have helped preform some of those studies
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Ever wonder why cancer rate are so much higher than they were 50 to 100 years ago?

Chemicals in our environment are a leading cause. One of the studies that surprised me was the increase in transgender

• Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    Sorry April, your wrong. That's Big Ag baloney! The chemical make up of most herbicides do not work that way. And the "shelf life" in the ground is a lot longer than "advertised". Current studies from the University of Colorado, Princeton, and Duke
  • April E
    April E Oklahoma City, OK
    Catherine Smith heat is not what "kills off" herbicides. it is time and moisture. in the time it takes for compost to mature any herbicides "life" would be over due to exposer
Bonnie Bassett

Search Feedback