Can a cast iron skillet be cleaned back to almost-new and re- seasoned, and if so, how??!?!

Cleaning 12.15.13
  • Rose
    Rose Clovis, CA
    I think it was mentioned above to throw it in the old fire and allow it to stay in that fire while all the gunk burns off. Leave it till morning, then season it again. I have done this to a few of my in-laws hand-me downs and they are like new. So what
  • Beatrice A
    Beatrice A Ypsilanti, MI
    or, you can have it sand blasted till smooth, then season.
  • Beatrice A
    Beatrice A Ypsilanti, MI
    Take on a picnic, and place directly on top open flames to burn of crustys, then take home and season it , the crustys turn to black powder..
  • Cindy Stechschulte
    I used vegetable oil and salt, worked like a charm on the rust!
  • Bernadette M
    Bernadette M Snoqualmie, WA
    Off to try to reclaim my cast iron skillet.
  • Laura G
    Laura G Evergreen Park, IL
    You can clean the outside with the sea salt and oil rub. You might have to do it a few times until the gunk comes off. Good luck!
  • Delores M
    Delores M Liberty, TX
    PS - I inherited these pans and I don't believe they were ever seasoned properly.
  • Delores M
    Delores M Liberty, TX
    Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because the gunk is on the outside of the pan. Very sticky and yucky, I don't want to set the skillet down anywhere because the gunk transfers easily and is very hard to remove!
  • Laura G
    Laura G Evergreen Park, IL
    I have also cleaned and maintain my cast iron with a bit of oil and sea salt. I rub it all over the warm pan, then wipe it out with a paper towel. Water should never touch a cast iron pan. After you use it, you should always season it with oil by rubbing
Delores M