Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Decor Ideas 06.23.14

Sempervivum - How to Remake Your Hens and Chicks

I have over 160 different named varieties of Sempervivum, and about once a year, I have to go through and remake them. What does this mean, you ask?

This is when I go through each type, and make sure I don't have any grave jumpers (those are when a chick lands in a neighboring pot, and could be mistakenly grown as that variety, if the grower isn't careful to keep them from jumping).

I also get rid of any that are too big and will most likely start to flower next spring before they produce chicks. I might use these for a craft, or in some cases, send them off in the mail as wedding favors to customers.

As Sempervivum usually only live two to three years, then flower, you're best to keep only the younger plants that will most likely produce chicks for another year before flowering.

I decided this year that growing them in shallow kraft paper pans would be better than trying to keep a multitude of different sized round pots in flats. I am so glad I broke down and did this - it will make it so much easier to keep track of them.

So here's my procedure;

To see more: http://www.drought-smart-plants.com/how-to-grow-sempervivum.html

35 Comments Displaying 15 of 35 comments | See Previous
  • Debra Peters
    Debra Peters Mesa, AZ
    Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought about the north side of the house. But the direction my house is set, even the north side gets a LOT of sun. So, I may simply be out of luck. I remember my grandmother growing them (in Denver, CO) always wanted some to
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Drought Smart Plants
      Debra Peters I can totally relate to wanting to grow them as a reminder - these are old plants, and fortunately for us, they're now just about as popular as in the past. I'm sorry you just don't have the right situation.
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Wowsers! That quite a task! And quite a brood you have there!
  • Drought Smart Plants
    And each one unique!
  • Deb M
    Deb M Saint James, MO
    Drought Smart Plants If you decide to sell any, please let me know? 'Having a heck of a time trying to get some here...I think of my one Great-grandmother <3
  • Judith Beumel-Card
    Judith Beumel-Card Arlington, WA
    So if they flower that means they are done (going to die)? Should I throw these out cause they are not going to grow anymore@
  • Gaild
    Gaild Willow Grove, PA
    Oh, Jackie, Please do not dump them... Send them to me or let me come get them. It's not their fault that they jump. After they flower they go dormant then will regrow next year. these are wonderful little plants!!!! Use me as your dumpster. Thanks. GD
    • Drought Smart Plants
      Gaild Thanks for your kind offer to rehome my grave jumpers! I don't dump them, except into my garden or a craft as a NOID so they're safe.
  • Gaild
    Gaild Willow Grove, PA
    Good. I really don't need them, but cannot stand the thought of hurting plants. Plats and books. Keep them all or pass them around. Would like to do this with rescue dogs but I am allergic and can only have certain mixes. I have 4
  • Marc
    Marc San Luis Obispo, CA
    I do well here in coastal California with propagating hen and chicks and aeoniums, but the simple burro tail has me stumped! I see photos of simply placing the little sections on the soil, where they miraculously root and grow. Not mine. Does anyone
    • Drought Smart Plants
      Marc They have to be dry - just let them fall, or scatter them, and they'll grow - you'll end up cursing them! Don't over water - that is the best way to kill them.
  • Marc
    Marc San Luis Obispo, CA
    Thank you. You may have nailed my problem - I've been adding little bits of water every day like an over-anxious mother. :)
Drought Smart Plants

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!