$4 Mason Jar Light Fixture Update

bathroom 20 hours ago
I'm in the middle of a bathroom makeover with a mere $100 budget. I spent just $3.87 to update my light fixture by swapping out the dated glass globes with mason jars. The easy 15 minute tutorial is on my blog at Two It Yourself.

To see more: http://twoityourself.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-mason-jar-light-fixture-on-cheap.html

• Mark Verrico
    Mark Verrico Montoursville, PA
    What makes the lid not slide off? Would love to try this!!
    • Jan B.
      Jan B. Crossville, TN
      Mark and Sandra..look close the side screws on the fixture...they tighten the lid to fixture.

• Holly
    Holly Canada
    I love this, and I'm going to do it out in my sunroom! Thanks for the idea!
  • Sharon Jean
    Sharon Jean Middleburg, FL
    Would you put holes in the mason jar due to the heat? How would you do this without breaking the mason jars?
  • Debra Embury
    Debra Embury Nauvoo, AL
    Sharon, you make holes in the lid of the mason jar.
  • Debra Embury
    Debra Embury Nauvoo, AL
    We did this over our bar. It looks fabulous!
  • Alana Curry
    Alana Curry Aylett, VA
    I have out house stuff for my bathroom.I have white wainscoating around bottom of walls that is white.....its a beach theme now ideas? hope i find my way back here lol
  • Jennifer Taylor
    Jennifer Taylor Olive Branch, MS
    I'm not understading where the lid ( and screw part of lid) are attached/installed so you can attach jar?
  • Danelle T
    Danelle T Ashland, WI
    Follow the link to her page to find out how it's done.

I want to use mason jars out on my porch but I have to find the perfect light fixtures. Love the

• Green.tree
    To avoid the heat problems use those energy saving bulbs that stay cool.
  • Patsy mullins
    patsy mullins Church Hill, TN
    I love this !
  • Debra Peck
    Debra Peck Groves, TX
    I did this in my store but the light bulbs burn our to fast. Any ideas?
    • FULLAIT
      FULLAIT Clarendon Hills, IL
      Debra Peck Drill many small 1/8" or a little larger holes in the top metal to vent better and let the heat out. Try and keep them a pattern. If you get enough light, also try
  • Gaylemccraw
    Fullait,not a very nice response
  • FULLAIT
    FULLAIT Clarendon Hills, IL
    These are getting popular. Below, I see: HEAT, CURTAINS = FIRE

If you decide to make these, put some safety thought into it. Vents, Bulb size, Flammable surroundings where

• Gaylemccraw
    Fullait,I didn't say I was an electrician,My post was only meant to say,I think you could have said it a little kinder to get your point across.
  • FULLAIT
    FULLAIT Clarendon Hills, IL
    I guess you are right. But,Have you ever been in a factory or a submarine or grain elevator? Have you ever tried to apply make up in harsh bluish light? My wife's Lipstick looks purple no matter what color. Then try eye shadow...Have you ever been in a
Melissa @ Two It Yourself