Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Fill, Thrill, and Spill! 30 Creative Garden Container Ideas

For the Garden 10.13.14
Do you know the expression "Fill, thrill, spill!" for choosing container plants? Whoever came up with that was right on the money for understanding what makes a plant container look great.

¸¸.•*¨*•Fill it with plants! Pick something contrasting for a colour, height, or texture thrill. And always have something spilling over the edge. And, for a special focal point, pick a container so unexpected, you can't help but love it.

I collect garden ideas everywhere I go. These are some favourite garden planters and unusual containers from my own garden and ones I have toured. You can see a whole bunch more here: http://www.empressofdirt.net/gardencontainer...

I hope you get some ideas you can take home.

#Augustgarden

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/grdencontainerideas/

33 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 23 of 33 comments | See Previous
  • Donna Shipley-Richie
    Donna Shipley-Richie Mckinleyville, CA
    Lovely! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    It is fun to see the personality of gardeners in their container choices and arrangements.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    The rustic arbor and planted wheelbarrow are my favorites of all!
  • Carol L
    Carol L Moores Hill, IN
    You have such great ideas! So beautiful!
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Carol L Thanks, Carol - I can't take credit for most of them - they're from gardens I have visited - though I think I know I good idea when I see one! ;)
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    I love these. I am already planning for next year. Thanks
  • Heather Scott
    Great ideas Melissa - love the wagon - have one at work - hmm wonder if I borrowed it would they miss it!
  • Sow and Dipity
    The expression in the greenhouse industry is Thriller, Filler, and Spiller... ( at least that's what we call it here in the west at the greenhouses I work at and manage )
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    LOVE that buckboard, Empress of Dirt - Melissa ! Wish I could find one around here to plant up!
  • Linda C. Boyer
    Linda C. Boyer Rapid City, SD
    'I' just love to grow things! :) :) :)
  • Jan Brider
    Jan Brider Menifee, CA
    Love your container pictures and would love to use some of them for a fun talk that I am giving. Please email at Rosyday48@gmail.com if you would like to be part of my talk. I am a Master Gardener and my talk is on Unusual containers.
  • Esther Mendez
    Esther Mendez Fresno, CA
    I love the mother earth trees, flower brusches I can go on and on.
  • Heather Scott
    Best job Ive ever had - will miss when I retire later this year
  • Nancy S
    Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    I love all the places that I get to go in to being in this community. IF you find a link to someone's garden it is HIGHLY likely that before that trip is over and looking for things to DIY.. there will be another avenue to be directed down into before
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Nancy S It's quite wonderful, isn't it? We're having a snow storm as I write this, so I too wish I could be doing these things now! Glad you're enjoying yourself. :)
  • Jay
    Jay India
    So beautiful!!!
  • JoAnn Preen
    JoAnn Preen Dalton, MA
    I have three whisky barrels, which during the months spring to fall fill up with water and do not drain so I am unable to plant flowers. The one I made into a bird bath for the birds, which they love. I have a large rock on top of the soil where they sit
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing