Fill, Thrill, and Spill! 30 Creative Garden Container Ideas

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Do you know the expression "Fill, thrill, spill!" for choosing container plants? Whoever came up with that was right on the money for understanding what makes a plant container look great.

¸¸.•*¨*•Fill it with plants! Pick something contrasting for a colour, height, or texture thrill. And always have something spilling over the edge. And, for a special focal point, pick a container so unexpected, you can't help but love it.

I collect garden ideas everywhere I go. These are some favourite garden planters and unusual containers from my own garden and ones I have toured. You can see a whole bunch more here:

I hope you get some ideas you can take home.

• You can see all of the containers here:
  • One colour for the containers, a theme for the plants, varying heights: bam!
  • Classic old wheelbarrow filled with colour:
  • Broken birdbath? Plant it!
  • Few might have room for this but it's sure fun!
  • Baskets hanging from tree branches bring interest to a shade garden:
  • A beautiful window box brightens up any house:
  • Whiskey barrels: probably one of the first containers used in junk gardens:
  • Move containers around to create beautiful scenes:

To see more:

• Esther Mendez
    Esther Mendez Fresno, CA
    I love the mother earth trees, flower brusches I can go on and on.
  • Heather Scott
    Best job Ive ever had - will miss when I retire later this year
  • Nancy S
    Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    I love all the places that I get to go in to being in this community. IF you find a link to someone's garden it is HIGHLY likely that before that trip is over and looking for things to DIY.. there will be another avenue to be directed down into before
    • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
      Nancy S It's quite wonderful, isn't it? We're having a snow storm as I write this, so I too wish I could be doing these things now! Glad you're enjoying yourself. :)
  • Jay
    Jay India
    So beautiful!!!
  • JoAnn Preen
    JoAnn Preen Dalton, MA
    I have three whisky barrels, which during the months spring to fall fill up with water and do not drain so I am unable to plant flowers. The one I made into a bird bath for the birds, which they love. I have a large rock on top of the soil where they sit
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post