Hometalk.com

For the Garden 4 days ago

Fill, Thrill, and Spill! 30 Creative Garden Container Ideas

Do you know the expression "Fill, thrill, spill!" for choosing container plants? Whoever came up with that was right on the money for understanding what makes a plant container look great.

¸¸.•*¨*•Fill it with plants! Pick something contrasting for a colour, height, or texture thrill. And always have something spilling over the edge. And, for a special focal point, pick a container so unexpected, you can't help but love it.

I collect garden ideas everywhere I go. These are some favourite garden planters and unusual containers from my own garden and ones I have toured. You can see a whole bunch more here: http://www.empressofdirt.net/gardencontainer...

I hope you get some ideas you can take home.

#Augustgarden

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/grdencontainerideas/

33 Comments Displaying 15 of 33 comments | See Previous
  • Great ideas Melissa - love the wagon - have one at work - hmm wonder if I borrowed it would they miss it!
  • The expression in the greenhouse industry is Thriller, Filler, and Spiller... ( at least that's what we call it here in the west at the greenhouses I work at and manage )
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    LOVE that buckboard, Empress of Dirt - Melissa ! Wish I could find one around here to plant up!
  • Linda C. Boyer Rapid City, SD
    'I' just love to grow things! :) :) :)
  • Jan Brider Menifee, CA
    Love your container pictures and would love to use some of them for a fun talk that I am giving. Please email at Rosyday48@gmail.com if you would like to be part of my talk. I am a Master Gardener and my talk is on Unusual containers.
  • Esther Mendez Fresno, CA
    I love the mother earth trees, flower brusches I can go on and on.
  • Best job Ive ever had - will miss when I retire later this year
  • Nancy S Lagrange, GA
    I love all the places that I get to go in to being in this community. IF you find a link to someone's garden it is HIGHLY likely that before that trip is over and looking for things to DIY.. there will be another avenue to be directed down into before
    • Nancy S It's quite wonderful, isn't it? We're having a snow storm as I write this, so I too wish I could be doing these things now! Glad you're enjoying yourself. :)
  • Jay India
    So beautiful!!!
  • JoAnn Preen Dalton, MA
    I have three whisky barrels, which during the months spring to fall fill up with water and do not drain so I am unable to plant flowers. The one I made into a bird bath for the birds, which they love. I have a large rock on top of the soil where they sit