DIY Cabinet Makeover: From Danish Modern to "Antique" Chinese

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We had an old cabinet in the dining room that I was ready to put to the curb. It got rickety and the doors were always crooked. And it was boring looking! I'd always wanted an antique Chinese cabinet in that spot. Well, instead of leaving the cabinet out for dumpster divers, I gave it a makeover into the "antique" Chinese cabinet I always wanted! It was painted with milk paint, Chinese hardware was installed and I applied a Chinese wallpaper print to the doors. All details about the makeover, and sources of supplies, are on my blog.
  • Adding Chinese hardware is key to getting the look.
  • Before. It was in extreme danger of being put out for the dumpster divers.
  • After! It now looks like an antique Chinese cabinet.
  • Another key to getting the look: decorate the doors with something Chinese style. I used a print of Chinese wallpaper. You can also paint a Chinese stencil pattern. I left dark wax in the door corners to make it look old.
  • The thin Danish style is too thin for Chinese style. So I "chunked it up" by adding plywood to the top, sides and bottom.
  • I painted the cabinet with milk paint - green and brown colors mixed into a custom color. I find Riesling is great with milk paint. :)

To see more:

• Teri
    Teri Creswell, OR
    I find that Riesling goes with most any paint! ;)
  • Jennifer G
    Jennifer G Clifton, CO
    I have a weakness for Asian furniture - I actually bought 3 pieces off eBay 10+ years ago that shipped from China. They are true antiques (built in the late1700's) and are VERY fragile. I LOVE what you did with your Danish piece and now I want to try it :)
    • Deb @ Nomadic Decorator
      Deb @ Nomadic Decorator Lake Zurich, IL
      Jennifer G Oh my goodness, I bet your antique Chinese furniture is gorgeous! I have a big weakness too. We have a burlwood Chinese cabinet, and antique tansu too. But I want more than I can afford!
  • LB
    LB Apopka, FL
    Good save.... I love the hardware.
  • Wolfe Art
    Wolfe Art Saltville, VA
    How hard was it to find the hardware? Very charming, btw!!!
  • SK on Elderberry
    How fun is this? Thanks for sharing. sk
Deb @ Nomadic Decorator

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post