Microwave Kills Germs in Sponges

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Study shows zapping sponges and plastic scrubbing pads in the microwave can kill bacteria, such as E. coli, that can cause illness.

I microwave my sponge according to how often I cook usually every other day.

• Using your microwave for 2 minutes to clean your sponge
  • Microwave only sponges or plastic scrubbers that do not contain steel or other metals. . Two minutes should be enough to kill most disease-causing germs. Be careful in removing the...
  • After cleaning my sponge I wipe it out immediately with disinfecting wipes (the sponge cleaning leaves the microwave moist and loosens food enough to do a quick cleaning.
  • Make sure the sponge or scrubber is wet, not dry.

To see more: http://www.onemoretimeevents.com

• Tammy H
    Tammy H Corona, CA
    Been doing for a long time here too...I just thought I would share since I was doing it at the time....:)
  • Kelli Magnus
    Kelli Magnus Galesville, WI
    I always microwave my sponges. Put em in a micro safe dish and boil away :) Nice and fresh
  • Barbara Sherman
    Barbara Sherman Orlando, FL
    Throw them away after a week. they are cheap enough to buy in the dollar store
  • Tammy H
    Tammy H Corona, CA
    Yes the are cheap enough but honestly only takes a few minutes to clean, plus why waste the gas and time for one sponge.
  • Carla
    Carla Griffin, GA
    The mesh strainer for the kitchen drain, bathtub stopper & vegetable brush needs to go in the dishwasher, as well as the sink stoppers & scrub brushes.
Tammy H

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post