QuotaExceededError: DOM Exception 22: An attempt was made to add something to storage that exceeded the quota. http://static.criteo.net/js/ld/publishertag.js:1 in setItem http://static.criteo.net/js/ld/publishertag.js:1 in setItem http://static.criteo.net/js/ld/publishertag.js:1 in storeMetric http://static.criteo.net/js/ld/publishertag.js:1 http://static.criteo.net/js/ld/publishertag.js:1 in onload Saving Seeds for Next Year's Garden | Hometalk

Saving Seeds for Next Year's Garden

178,164 Views
Saving seeds from open-pollinated vegetables and flowers is a long time tradition in our family.
Today, I will be showing you how to save seeds from some prolific, yellow marigolds and my favorite red okra. It's super easy and can save you lots of money!
**please note-if plants are hybrids, they will not come back exactly the same**
Difficulty: Easy
First, you will need some basic supplies. I use a harvest basket, brown paper lunch sacks, pruners, and a pen. It's best to do this task after the morning dew is completely gone as you want the seed pods to be as dry as possible.
  • saving seeds for next year s garden, gardening, plant care
Next, look for a healthy plant. Both marigolds and okra are very resistant to pests and can take intense summer sun. But, if they look diseased or stressed in any way, don't take seeds from that plant.
The photo above shows a marigold in different stages. Far left shows a nice bloom and good color. In the center, the flower is past its prime and this is the stage I usually dead-head. Just right of the center, is a brown seed pod. This is what you will harvest for seed.
Pinch off as many seed pods as you want and place them in a brown paper sack. Be sure and label the sack with the type of flower and color. Roll the top down to close the sack and place it in your harvest basket. Now let's move to the vegetable garden.
Red burgundy okra tastes the same as the standard green okra with the only difference being the color. Both stems and pods are red and are great to use in fall decorations. The above photo shows okra pods too long to eat (too tough) but not mature enough to harvest seeds.
This pod is ready to harvest for seeds. The outer covering is hard and brittle and may be splitting enough to see the seeds.
Using your pruners, cut the dried pods from the stalk and place in a separate bag. Even though these seeds look completely different from marigolds, it will save time if they have their own bag. Now we are ready to prepare these seeds for storage.
Place a paper towel over the paper plate (you can use just a paper towel, but the plate makes it easier to move around). Let's do the marigolds first. Open the bag of seed pods and pour them on the paper towel. Break apart the pods and spread the seeds out. Depending on how many seed pods you collected, you may need another plate.
For okra, take out a pod and, starting from the top and working down, press open. It should split and seeds will roll out everywhere. This will only be one section so don't quit!
Press your fingernail into the center of this white membrane to open another section. Keep doing this until all seeds are removed.
When you are done, let the seeds dry for 1-2 weeks. It probably doesn't take that long for them to dry, but I tend to be over cautious when it comes to this step. I don't want to open a package of moldy, useless seeds in the spring.
After the drying period, I place the seeds in a labeled envelope and store in a larger container in a cool, dark room. I even throw in a few desiccant packets for good measure.
If you don't have time to lay out the seeds on a paper towel, just leave them in the brown paper sack and store in a cool, dark room. I actually do this all the time since I save so many seeds. Then, when the days get cooler and darkness comes at 5:30, I have a project to work on.
Happy Gardening!

Materials I used for this project:

• Harvest basket, pruners   (Tractor Supply)
  • Brown paper lunch sacks, paper plates, paper towels, pen   (Wal-Mart)

To see more: https://theblondegardener.com/2016/10/06/saving-seeds-and-hometalk-live/

• Valerie
    Valerie South Africa

Thanks for such an informative post - your photographs are excellent!

• Theblondegardener
      Theblondegardener Springdale, AR

Thanks, Valerie! I will be doing a Hometalk live today at 1:00 central time and I will show several more plants that I save seeds from.

• Sandra Hahn
    Sandra Hahn East Hartford, CT

Please do keep this info coming. love it!

• Theblondegardener
      Theblondegardener Springdale, AR

Thanks, Sandra. Be sure and check out my live Hometalk demo today at 1:00 central time

• Val
    Val Milford, CT

I like how you save them in envelopes. I'm currently saving seeds from my milkweed plants and Canna flowers. I have also saved the seeds from my Hostas. The Milkweeds are a pretty orange color and the Monarch butterflies love them.

• Lynne
    Lynne Detroit, MI

i also save marigold seeds, i have saved sun flower but the squirrels destroy them. thank you for the info, i will be using your storage method

• Sue Kiene
      Sue Kiene

What do you mean the squirrels destroy them? I do not worry about whether I have a full or partial head. I put them in panty hose legs and hang them in my basement. When they are fully dry they can be shucked or leave it till the spring .

• Captjohnandbecky
    Captjohnandbecky Madera, CA

This is great. You are so organized!! Thank you!

Inspired? Will you try this project? Let the author know!