Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
For the Garden 08.24.14

Protecting Your Garden, Trees And Landscape From Deer

They come a few times each week to our blog from all over. Questions from those wanting to know how they can protect their plants from marauding deer!

Although our garden fence is only about 5′ high – it does seem to keep the deer from just waltzing through.

We have been fairly lucky at the farm when it comes to damage from bucks and does. For the most part – our 5’ high post and board fence has kept them from strolling through our garden. In addition, our heavy plantings of ornamental grasses and peppers throughout the landscape (low on their “love to eat list”) have never seemed to interest them.

But we are not immune from their damage. Just last fall – they destroyed our newly planted and unprotected apple trees – stripping the bark clean, and ripping the leaves to shreds.

Deer Damage:The deer destroyed two of our newly planted and unprotected fruit trees last fall.

The truth is, when it comes to deer – unless you are willing, able and ready to build some pretty high and expensive fencing -

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/09/10/protecting-your-garden-trees-and-landscape-from-deer/

60 Comments Displaying 16 of 60 comments | See Previous
  • Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    @ Ginger C - is the fish line a clear, monofilament kind or a dark more of a string kind? I'm do not fish & I only know of these 2 kinds of line. I'd like to try this, so if you could help me with the kind of line, I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Charlette A Sgro
    Charlette A Sgro Willoughby, OH
    Please tell me more about the FISH LINE!!!!!!
  • Mikell Paulson
    Mikell Paulson Silverdale, WA
    I had fruit trees and roses in the country. I used eggs with soap and water! It worked really good, now I live in the city and the deer eat every thing! They are like pets!!
  • Diane
    Diane Spring Hill, FL
    For the fishing line, I use 30# Test and string it taut all around the boundaries of my back yard, about 2-3 ft. high. When I mow the yard, I just unloop the lines at the side yards so I can get the tractor from front to backyard. I think it really must
  • Jenni Cefalu
    Jenni Cefalu Milwaukee, WI
    My parents hung bars of dial soap in panty hose..Seemed to work.
    • Bobby Barbara Smith
      Bobby Barbara Smith Bull Shoals, AR
      Jenni Cefalu My deer chewed the little bags of soap like gum! LOL I'd come out the next day to find them pulled down & scattered around the yard, with large teeth print in the soap bag :)
  • Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    Thank you, Ginger. I will try this next season. Pretty much done for this year in MN.
  • Jeff Ryan
    Jeff Ryan Canisteo, NY
    There may be no better defense than fencing. But I think fencing is expensive, time consuming and unsightly. We use a much more natural and effective means to keep deer away from our landscaping. Deer Repellent Packs contain genuine coyote urine in
    • Sally Lauren
      Sally Lauren Chester, NJ
      Jeff Ryan Expensive time consuming and unsightly? I disagree! I put up a 7ft high deer fence 3 years ago completely around my 1 1/3 acre property - I made a 10ft wide gate from deer fencing and
  • Mary Blatnik-Smith
    Mary Blatnik-Smith Strongsville, OH
    Haha... Even the fencing doesn't keep the deer out of our "deer resistant" plants.
  • HippieBob
    HippieBob Pueblo, CO
    When there is no chance of freezing. we use electronic "Scarecrows". They work great. During the winter months, I have some tomato cages with plastic fencing that I place around our trees.
  • JANIS S
    JANIS S Hugo, MN
    We had to put up a tall fence, now I have flowers, lilies and hostas. But alot of work and expense, Now for the winter and snow and ice coming to MN. We hope fence stays put.
    • Sally Lauren
      Sally Lauren Chester, NJ
      JANIS S Did you put up a deer fence or a regular fence? I put up a 7ft high deer fence 3 years ago completely around my 1 1/3 acre property - I made a 10ft wide gate from deer fencing and
  • Ejef
    I needed a laugh for the morning,, Iiked, the quote,,, I use a 12 shotgun... hahahahah

Thanks Elmer....

• Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    Well, to date, my fish line has only had one time it has been broken, since I put it up last fall. Put it back up after that & it has not ever been broken again (as in something ran through it.) I don't have a lot of things of great interest to deer in
Old World Garden Farms