Protecting Your Garden, Trees And Landscape From Deer

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
They come a few times each week to our blog from all over. Questions from those wanting to know how they can protect their plants from marauding deer!

Although our garden fence is only about 5′ high – it does seem to keep the deer from just waltzing through.

We have been fairly lucky at the farm when it comes to damage from bucks and does. For the most part – our 5’ high post and board fence has kept them from strolling through our garden. In addition, our heavy plantings of ornamental grasses and peppers throughout the landscape (low on their “love to eat list”) have never seemed to interest them.

But we are not immune from their damage. Just last fall – they destroyed our newly planted and unprotected apple trees – stripping the bark clean, and ripping the leaves to shreds.

Deer Damage:The deer destroyed two of our newly planted and unprotected fruit trees last fall.

The truth is, when it comes to deer – unless you are willing, able and ready to build some pretty high and expensive fencing -

• Learning our lesson from last year – all of our orchard trees are now covered with deer fencing for the fall, winter and early spring months.
  • Ornamental Hot Peppers and Ornamental Grasses are two plants deer don’t seem to enjoy. We use them in our landscape
  • Super Hot Habanero’s make an excellent deer repellent spray.
  • Eggs and water make a great deer repellent as well.

To see more:

• Linda L
    Linda L Seabeck, WA
    If i was a deer...I'd back off a bit with the Heavy Metal, but the preaching...i'd run and never come back!!
    • Linda L
      Linda L Seabeck, WA
      Jean Barefield You don't know me. Where in my post does it say i don't pray or believe in God? There is a time and place for 'preaching' and this isn't it.
  • Brenda Wallen
    Brenda Wallen Rogersville, TN
    we play a radio to keep the bears and deer out of our garden at works!! my neighbors around us get them every year and one decided to try it this year and it worked for them. we usually put it on "heavy metal rock" or the "preaching
  • Cheryl V
    I use a sprinkler called a ScareCrow. Got it on Amazon. Motion activated impact sprinkler. Kept deer out for 2 years not-well worth the money.
  • Evonne Kruger
    Evonne Kruger Wabasha, MN
    I have 3 apple trees and on each hang Irish Spring, they don't like it but makes my garden smell good.
  • Jeanette freeze
    Jeanette freeze Purdy, MO
    i have heard about the soap working never any one saying it did not i live in city no deer i guess like us lol
  • Feral Turtle
    Great post. Love your pepper plant.
  • Daniel Jelle
    Daniel Jelle Nashwauk, MN
    I use a motion activated water sprayer made for keeping deer out of the garden, it works the best for me.

• Debby Boyle
    Debby Boyle Necedah, WI
    I have tried it all, and I found that hanging a bar of Irish Spring soap by the plants works the best!! I have had 6 deer at a time in my yard and watch them and they don't like the soap!!
  • Darlene Mapes
    Darlene Mapes Sugar Run, PA
    For years I have used 1 egg, 1 quart of water and 2 tbls. hot chili sesame oil. Put in blender. Then put in spray bottle. If you have some left over put in refrigerator. But remember to spray again after it rains.
  • Donna Shipley-Richie
    Donna Shipley-Richie Mckinleyville, CA
    Thanks for the good information.
  • Kayelily Middleton
    Kayelily Middleton Raleigh, NC
    The contents of the dust container from my vacuum cleaner and clippings of my dogs' fur after grooming scattered among my knock-out roses, hydrangea, and liriope repel the deer in my yard.
  • Deborah Reed
    i am a dog groomer and for years farming and gardening clients will come buy and pick up bags of dog hair clippings...seems to work ..They mix it into their dirt or mulch...
  • JoAnn Green
    JoAnn Green Solon, OH
    Has anyone noticed that planing cleome helps too? I have had it in my flower garden for two years and they seem to now stay away from it. Thanks for these other ideas too
  • Joan G
    Joan G East Lyme, CT
    I've got thorny wild raspberries around the perimeter, and a cat who thinks he's Mufasa.
  • Cathy Ray
    Cathy Ray Roundup, MT
    I almost am reluctant to post this as I might jinx myself. We have a terrible problem with "town" deer. They aren't afraid of small spaces, and they have actually jumped on my 3 ft high deck and eaten the lilies behind my seating area. This year, I was
Old World Garden Farms

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post