Protecting Your Garden, Trees And Landscape From Deer

11.14.14
They come a few times each week to our blog from all over. Questions from those wanting to know how they can protect their plants from marauding deer!

Although our garden fence is only about 5′ high – it does seem to keep the deer from just waltzing through.

We have been fairly lucky at the farm when it comes to damage from bucks and does. For the most part – our 5’ high post and board fence has kept them from strolling through our garden. In addition, our heavy plantings of ornamental grasses and peppers throughout the landscape (low on their “love to eat list”) have never seemed to interest them.

But we are not immune from their damage. Just last fall – they destroyed our newly planted and unprotected apple trees – stripping the bark clean, and ripping the leaves to shreds.

Deer Damage:The deer destroyed two of our newly planted and unprotected fruit trees last fall.

The truth is, when it comes to deer – unless you are willing, able and ready to build some pretty high and expensive fencing -

• Learning our lesson from last year – all of our orchard trees are now covered with deer fencing for the fall, winter and early spring months.
  • Ornamental Hot Peppers and Ornamental Grasses are two plants deer don’t seem to enjoy. We use them in our landscape
  • Super Hot Habanero’s make an excellent deer repellent spray.
  • Eggs and water make a great deer repellent as well.

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/09/10/protecting-your-garden-trees-and-landscape-from-deer/

• JANIS S
    JANIS S Hugo, MN
    We had to put up a tall fence, now I have flowers, lilies and hostas. But alot of work and expense, Now for the winter and snow and ice coming to MN. We hope fence stays put.
    • Sally Lauren
      Sally Lauren Chester, NJ
      JANIS S Did you put up a deer fence or a regular fence? I put up a 7ft high deer fence 3 years ago completely around my 1 1/3 acre property - I made a 10ft wide gate from deer
  • Ejefferson
    I needed a laugh for the morning,, Iiked, the quote,,, I use a 12 shotgun... hahahahah

Thanks Elmer....

• Penny
    Penny Backus, MN
    Well, to date, my fish line has only had one time it has been broken, since I put it up last fall. Put it back up after that & it has not ever been broken again (as in something ran through it.) I don't have a lot of things of great interest to deer in
  • Barbara
    Barbara Watkinsville, GA
    Thanks for your suggestions. My neighbor fed the deer shelled corn. After they ate her dinner they came to my yard and had desert. I tried a lot of things you mentioned and after all these years I have a lot of deer resistant plants. Herbs have been left
    • Judy
      Judy Grants Pass, OR
      Barbara Try the egg spray. It has to be re-applied after rain or sprinklers but deer won't eat egg.
  • Barbara
    Barbara Watkinsville, GA
    Thanks Judy. It's cold now and plants are not out. I'll use this idea next year.
Old World Garden Farms