Painting a Brick Fireplace With Chalk Paint®

We painted our outdated red and black brick fireplace and built in bookshelves with Chalk Paint®. The soft grey grout was in pristine condition and since we didn't want a "rolled on" look, we painted each brick individually with Country Grey Chalk Paint® which really added texture. The mantel is painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® and distressed a bit. The built-ins and cabinets are French Linen Chalk Paint® and walls are Country Grey.

The transformation was a pleasure to do and Chalk Paint® was awesome to work with.

• The before
  • The after
  • The fireplace is bright, clean and modern. The mantel painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® really makes a bold statement. We painted the metal surround with Rust-oleum High Heat Paint.
  • The built in bookshelves and cabinetry is painted French Linen Chalk Paint® and completely changed the look of the room.
  • BETTY
    BETTY Paragould, AR
    I was told not to use chalk paint around heat or outside where it is sunny. What about the wax you have to seal it with?
    • Cindy Gazso
      Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
      CHALK PAINT by Annie Sloan may be used outside on shutters, metal bistro sets, Adirondack chairs, concrete, some plus so much more. You do not WAX anything that lives outside. CHALK PAINT breathes and doesn't trap in moisture and will not wash off in the
  • Christiann Erkel
    Christiann Erkel Pittsburgh, PA
    I want to do this to my fireplace which is also red brick and gold fireplace screen. What sort of prep is needed, if any? I purchased a small container of chalk paint at the craft store for a much smaller paint project. Where would I purchase a larger
  • Cindy Gazso
    Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Hi Christiann, Unfortunately, paint sold in craft stores, Big Box stores is decorative paint but not CHALK PAINT. I used real CHALK PAINT by Annie Sloan and you can find retailers at www.anniesloan.com
  • Patti Schiefer-Rice
    Hi, looks great! You mentioned that you used country grey paint chalk paint but it has an off white look to it in the picture. I'm going for an off-white, warm beige look and want to make sure I order the right color.
    • Cindy Gazso
      Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
      Hi Patti, thank you. Visit www.anniesloan.com to find the CHALK PAINT retailer in your area. Visit their shop for expert advice, you'll be so happy you
  • Dorsel McManus
    Dorsel McManus Titusville, FL
    Would that work on outdoor brick decor?
Cindy Gazso