Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 01.23.14

Painting a Brick Fireplace With Chalk Paint®

We painted our outdated red and black brick fireplace and built in bookshelves with Chalk Paint®. The soft grey grout was in pristine condition and since we didn't want a "rolled on" look, we painted each brick individually with Country Grey Chalk Paint® which really added texture. The mantel is painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® and distressed a bit. The built-ins and cabinets are French Linen Chalk Paint® and walls are Country Grey.

The transformation was a pleasure to do and Chalk Paint® was awesome to work with.

16 Comments Displaying 15 of 16 comments | See Previous
  • Cindy Emporia, KS
    Very nice! I would have never thought of using chalk paint! My husband has a "no painting wood" rule, but he never said anything about brick! ;)
  • Leah Bening Carterville, IL
    Just beautiful! That really brightened up the entire room!
  • SueP East Haven, CT
    Can chalk paint be used behind a wood burning stove? it's about 15" from the brick on the sides & 36" from the back. I'd love to brighten up this area!
  • Jessica C Mc Farland, WI
    Love this transformation! I will have to stop in and see your shop, I am in McFarland, WI nice to meet a "neighbor" online!
  • Sherry Lake Mary, FL
    This looks exactly like my fireplace and I have shelving and cabinet next to it! I also have the same black and gold fireplace door! I have been wanting to change it or paint.
  • Sherry Lake Mary, FL
    What did you use to paint the fireplace door all black?
  • Nice job! I love chalk paint!
  • Looks wonderful. I'll be interested to hear how this holds up. I talked to a builder who recommended ONLY masonry paint that can holdup to high heat conditions, like a fireplace. So please post back in a year or two, oaky? Thanks!
  • Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Dear White Oak Studio Designs - as noted in one photo, the fireplace surround door was painted with

Rust-oleum High Heat

• Carolyn Bebb Fresno, CA
    I ended up with the same look, But I was going to paint my brick so I put a primer on first, it looked like shabby chic, I liked the look and left it.ツ
  • Jeanne Nelson Provo, UT
    Lovely! I painted a brick fireplace with watered down latex paint and the result was very similar. I have been wanting to do the same thing on a stone fireplace but haven't been happy with the little spots that I tried. Would chalk paint work on the
  • Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Jeanne, Chalk Paint® performed beautifully on the bricks and it also does a great job on concrete. Log onto www.anniesloan.com to find a Chalk Paint®
  • Jeanne Nelson Provo, UT
    Thank you, I will try a test spot on our stonework.
  • Did you use wax to seal it? Or is the chalk paint just on there by itself without anything to seal it? I just repainted mine with the chalk paint and I can't decide what to seal it with or if it needs it...