Painting a Brick Fireplace With Chalk Paint®

Interior 7 days ago
We painted our outdated red and black brick fireplace and built in bookshelves with Chalk Paint®. The soft grey grout was in pristine condition and since we didn't want a "rolled on" look, we painted each brick individually with Country Grey Chalk Paint® which really added texture. The mantel is painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® and distressed a bit. The built-ins and cabinets are French Linen Chalk Paint® and walls are Country Grey.

The transformation was a pleasure to do and Chalk Paint® was awesome to work with.

• Jessica C
    Jessica C Madison, WI
    Love this transformation! I will have to stop in and see your shop, I am in McFarland, WI nice to meet a "neighbor" online!
  • Sherry
    Sherry Lake Mary, FL
    This looks exactly like my fireplace and I have shelving and cabinet next to it! I also have the same black and gold fireplace door! I have been wanting to change it or paint.
  • Sherry
    Sherry Lake Mary, FL
    What did you use to paint the fireplace door all black?
    • Cindy Gazso
      Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
      Sherry We used Rust-oleum High Heat paint on the black/gold metal fireplace door.
  • Patricia Presto/On The Surface
    Nice job! I love chalk paint!
  • White Oak Studio Designs
    Looks wonderful. I'll be interested to hear how this holds up. I talked to a builder who recommended ONLY masonry paint that can holdup to high heat conditions, like a fireplace. So please post back in a year or two, oaky? Thanks!
  • Cindy Gazso
    Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Dear White Oak Studio Designs - as noted in one photo, the fireplace surround door was painted with

Rust-oleum High Heat

• Carolyn Bebb
    Carolyn Bebb Fresno, CA
    I ended up with the same look, But I was going to paint my brick so I put a primer on first, it looked like shabby chic, I liked the look and left it.ツ
  • Jeanne Nelson
    Jeanne Nelson Provo, UT
    Lovely! I painted a brick fireplace with watered down latex paint and the result was very similar. I have been wanting to do the same thing on a stone fireplace but haven't been happy with the little spots that I tried. Would chalk paint work on the
  • Cindy Gazso
    Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Jeanne, Chalk Paint® performed beautifully on the bricks and it also does a great job on concrete. Log onto www.anniesloan.com to find a Chalk Paint®
  • Jeanne Nelson
    Jeanne Nelson Provo, UT
    Thank you, I will try a test spot on our stonework.
  • Ktmunger
    Did you use wax to seal it? Or is the chalk paint just on there by itself without anything to seal it? I just repainted mine with the chalk paint and I can't decide what to seal it with or if it needs it...
  • Suzanne
    Suzanne Logan, UT
    Whoohoo! Gorgeous! Know someone who needs that chalk paint technique, thanks.It is soft and elegant. Great job.
  • BETTY
    BETTY Paragould, AR
    I was told not to use chalk paint around heat or outside where it is sunny. What about the wax you have to seal it with?
    • Cindy Gazso
      Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
      CHALK PAINT by Annie Sloan may be used outside on shutters, metal bistro sets, Adirondack chairs, concrete, some plus so much more. You do not WAX anything that lives outside. CHALK PAINT breathes and doesn't trap in moisture and will not wash off in the
  • Christiann Erkel
    Christiann Erkel Pittsburgh, PA
    I want to do this to my fireplace which is also red brick and gold fireplace screen. What sort of prep is needed, if any? I purchased a small container of chalk paint at the craft store for a much smaller paint project. Where would I purchase a larger
  • Cindy Gazso
    Cindy Gazso Janesville, WI
    Hi Christiann, Unfortunately, paint sold in craft stores, Big Box stores is decorative paint but not CHALK PAINT. I used real CHALK PAINT by Annie Sloan and you can find retailers at www.anniesloan.com
Cindy Gazso