Hometalk.com

09.28.13

How do I get rid of pesky sand spurs from my lawn?

I live in FL and my yard is over run with sand spurs that are constantly being tracked into the house on our shoes and our dog's fur. I'm looking for a way to get rid of them easily and most importantly inexpensively.
16 Comments Displaying 14 of 16 comments
  • Laura S Port Aransas, TX
    To pick up the stickers, take an old piece of carpet and flip it over on the grass. Attach a rope to drag it with, and drag the yard. It will take several times, and you'll also need to spray weed killer.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    It's challenging to deal with sand spurs after they develop. You should use a pre-emergent in early spring (there is corn gluten meal if you are going an organic route), and keep your grass as healthy as possible, as this will help crowd out sand spurs.
    • Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
      Douglas Hunt Thanks for the tip. I only recently became interested because our previous home didn't have this issue. I'll be sure to do my research before plowing ahead. :0)
  • Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
    Laura S Hmm. Maybe I can talk my son into doing it. lol
  • Teresa Watkins Orlando, FL
    Christy, Lakes Wales' Sandy Ridge acidic soils are the culprit and you'll constantly have to deal each year with the sandspurs unless you get the soil and turf into shape. You didn't say how much property you have so I'm going to assume you have a
  • Christine Vieau Cottageville, SC
    I got rid of mine with a shovel and a pair of flip flops. I think they put there sandspurs out in July, you dig them up and take them to the dump. Then you get a cheap pair of then flip flops and walk around so they stick in the shoe and then you put
  • Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
    Thanks for the tip. :0)
  • Geniva Barringer Lake Butler, FL
    Growing up in the area I feel for you. Being a farmer my Dad would have us dig/pull them up with gloves and put in the fire pit then we would use burlap feed bags with sand in the bottom to pull over ther area to collet the spurs for any left behind will
    • Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
      Geniva Barringer Thanks. I know exactly what you mean. My yard borders a grove and we have very little grass. Interestingly enough I did find a patch of thrift growing in among the weeds
  • Kay Carroll Bladenboro, NC
    spray the areas with Round up.. We had 2 acres of sand spars and ended up spraying for 4 years to kill them all!!!
  • Hello Christy, You can try some of the tips described here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-kill-... Hope this helps you with your spurs problem.