How do I get rid of pesky sand spurs from my lawn?

09.28.13
I live in FL and my yard is over run with sand spurs that are constantly being tracked into the house on our shoes and our dog's fur. I'm looking for a way to get rid of them easily and most importantly inexpensively.
  • Christine Vieau
    Christine Vieau Cottageville, SC
    I got rid of mine with a shovel and a pair of flip flops. I think they put there sandspurs out in July, you dig them up and take them to the dump. Then you get a cheap pair of then flip flops and walk around so they stick in the shoe and then you put
  • Christy D.
    Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
    Thanks for the tip. :0)
  • Geniva Barringer
    Geniva Barringer Lake Butler, FL
    Growing up in the area I feel for you. Being a farmer my Dad would have us dig/pull them up with gloves and put in the fire pit then we would use burlap feed bags with sand in the bottom to pull over ther area to collet the spurs for any left behind will
    • Christy D.
      Christy D. Lake Wales, FL
      Geniva Barringer Thanks. I know exactly what you mean. My yard borders a grove and we have very little grass. Interestingly enough I did find a patch of thrift growing in
  • Kay Carroll
    Kay Carroll Bladenboro, NC
    spray the areas with Round up.. We had 2 acres of sand spars and ended up spraying for 4 years to kill them all!!!
  • Coco Tree Service Corp
    Hello Christy, You can try some of the tips described here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-kill-... Hope this helps you with your spurs problem.
Christy D.