Antique Desk Redo Using DIY Chalk Paint and DIY Dark Wax

This was my first time working with chalk paint and simply love it! I think I have found a new addiction! lol I have to give credit where credit is due so here is the blog site I basically followed. I did do a few things differently such as, the CHALK PAINT recipe I used was 2 1/2 TBS plaster of Paris 1 1/2 TBS warm Water mix to a paste then add to 1 Cup of paint. The only reason I used a different recipe is because I didn't need that much paint. (1 cup covered the entire desk and the drawers using only 1 coat) I did not paint my areas black that I wanted to show through. I wanted them to show the actual wood tone. but I DID do the vasseline. I tinted my own dark wax...more on that and the recipe I used here As far as prep work, I scrubbed her down with 1/2 cup vinegar to 4 cups water Sanded the original finish off the top Stained it with Varathane early American That's it! OH! The hardware...well, they were black and nasty so I tossed them in a container of apple
Time: 2 Days Cost: $18 Difficulty: Easy
  • Linda Schovanec
    Linda Schovanec Dakota City, NE
    It looks awesome.
  • Katie @ Fun Home Things
  • Danielle Sallada
    Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA
  • Tanya Morris
    Tanya Morris Oregon City, OR
    This turned out gorgeous!! I especially love the patina on the hardware. You said that you put finishing wax on the hardware and let it sit and then removed. What is finishing wax? I have some hardware I would like to achieve this look with. Thank you, Tanya
    • Danielle Sallada
      Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA
      Tanya Morris Hi Tanya! I tried responding through my phone but I guess it didn't go through. I apologize. As far as the finishing wax on the hardware, I used plain old minwax
Danielle Sallada

Search Feedback