Antique Desk Redo Using DIY Chalk Paint and DIY Dark Wax | Hometalk
9.4K Views

Antique Desk Redo Using DIY Chalk Paint and DIY Dark Wax

9.4K Views
This was my first time working with chalk paint and simply love it! I think I have found a new addiction! lol I have to give credit where credit is due so here is the blog site I basically followed. http://www.iheartnaptime.net/chalk-paint/ I did do a few things differently such as, the CHALK PAINT recipe I used was 2 1/2 TBS plaster of Paris 1 1/2 TBS warm Water mix to a paste then add to 1 Cup of paint. The only reason I used a different recipe is because I didn't need that much paint. (1 cup covered the entire desk and the drawers using only 1 coat) I did not paint my areas black that I wanted to show through. I wanted them to show the actual wood tone. but I DID do the vasseline. I tinted my own dark wax...more on that and the recipe I used here http://salvagedinspirations.com/tinting-furniture-wax-with-paint/ As far as prep work, I scrubbed her down with 1/2 cup vinegar to 4 cups water Sanded the original finish off the top Stained it with Varathane early American That's it! OH!
Time: 2 Days Cost: $18 Difficulty: Easy
  • antique desk redo using diy chalk paint and diy dark wax, chalk paint, painted furniture

Have Questions About This Post?

• P.brown8

DIVINE!

• Linda Schovanec
    Linda Schovanec Dakota City, NE

It looks awesome.

• Katie @ Fun Home Things

Gorgeous!!

• Danielle Sallada
    Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA

Thanks!

• Tanya Morris
    Tanya Morris Oregon City, OR

This turned out gorgeous!! I especially love the patina on the hardware. You said that you put finishing wax on the hardware and let it sit and then removed. What is finishing wax? I have some hardware I would like to achieve this look with. Thank

• Danielle Sallada
      Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA

@Tanya Morris Hi Tanya! I tried responding through my phone but I guess it didn't go through. I apologize. As far as the finishing wax on the hardware, I used plain old minwax finishing wax for wood to give the hardware that satin sheen. The patina

­