Antique Desk Redo Using DIY Chalk Paint and DIY Dark Wax

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
This was my first time working with chalk paint and simply love it! I think I have found a new addiction! lol I have to give credit where credit is due so here is the blog site I basically followed. I did do a few things differently such as, the CHALK PAINT recipe I used was 2 1/2 TBS plaster of Paris 1 1/2 TBS warm Water mix to a paste then add to 1 Cup of paint. The only reason I used a different recipe is because I didn't need that much paint. (1 cup covered the entire desk and the drawers using only 1 coat) I did not paint my areas black that I wanted to show through. I wanted them to show the actual wood tone. but I DID do the vasseline. I tinted my own dark wax...more on that and the recipe I used here As far as prep work, I scrubbed her down with 1/2 cup vinegar to 4 cups water Sanded the original finish off the top Stained it with Varathane early American That's it! OH! The hardware...well, they were black and nasty so I tossed them in a container of apple
Time: 2 Days Cost: $18 Difficulty: Easy
  • Linda Schovanec
    Linda Schovanec Dakota City, NE
    It looks awesome.
  • Katie @ Fun Home Things
  • Danielle Sallada
    Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA
  • Tanya Morris
    Tanya Morris Oregon City, OR
    This turned out gorgeous!! I especially love the patina on the hardware. You said that you put finishing wax on the hardware and let it sit and then removed. What is finishing wax? I have some hardware I would like to achieve this look with. Thank you, Tanya
    • Danielle Sallada
      Danielle Sallada Pottsville, PA
      Tanya Morris Hi Tanya! I tried responding through my phone but I guess it didn't go through. I apologize. As far as the finishing wax on the hardware, I used plain old minwax
Danielle Sallada

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post