Hometalk.com

18 hours ago

The Fence (recycling Old Doors and Windows)

I would like to share the fence I made out of old doors and windows. I was unable to find a fence that I really loved plus I didn’t want it to cost me an arm & a leg. I’m not a spring chicken, so I need all my arms and legs!

The fence is located at the rear/side of my house. It seemed to take me forever but knowing I only had to do 6 (8 ft) sections, I knew I could totally finish this project. It wasn’t a project that I could put away in a closet and get it out later. Plus, being out for people to see, I realized that it had to be finished in a timely fashion.

It was like putting a puzzle together. Very little modification had to be done but there was some. I was extremely lucky at finding old doors. The first door was an original door in my house (sitting in the garage,when we moved in). My neighbor gave me a couple closet doors that he replaced in his house. Garage sales, dumpster diving, the side of the curb and a couple doors were knocked on when I saw a house being updated.

Once I had it totally built I realized it needed jazzed up. The first door had to be purple (K-State, of course). But why did I pick

196 Comments Displaying 15 of 196 comments | See Previous
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    You are right! Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Tammy, You make me laugh! You are absolutely right. Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Kathy, Didn't know I could cause such a stir!! How funny! Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    Thanks! That's what makes it fun. Seeing all the other ideas. Again thanks
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    All are outside doors. Yes, I might have to top up a few areas. No I didn't use marine paint(should of). I never thought it would last years. It's not that big and I may want to put up something different. Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    They have made me chuckle. I just remembering my parents saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything. Thanks!
  • Gail Aldridge Lees Summit, MO
    WoW What a stir! Thank you all for your kind words.
  • Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    Gail, people would know to whom you're responding if you clicked the "Reply" link under the comment to which you are replying. It would make a lot more sense.
  • Susan S Rochester, NY
    how did you connect all the doors and windows together were they all hinged, and what kind of paint did you use on them, was it outdoor paint, what holds up the best?
  • Carolyn Vick Peoria, IL
    This is great looking. Yes, I'm interested in how the doors are connected too. Also are they sitting on a base of some sort? Thanks.
  • Shelley Crawford Dundalk, MD
    Thank you for posting! Do you mind answering the previous post since my husband has the same questions? I look forward to your answers!