Bleached Pine Cones & Decor

29 minutes ago
Tired of the rustic look of pinecones in your decor? Especially if you lean toward a light and airy look. Why not bleach your pinecones for an unusual beautiful effect in home decor. Be amazed by their resulting appearance. . . Beauty made more beautiful!
Difficulty: Easy
Gently pour bleach over the pinecones, cover and soak overnight or longer.
Dry on paper towels for a few days to reopen, or if impatient, put in a 275 degree oven for 1 hr. You can tell that the color of the scales have changed, but the beauty is yet to be seen.
Lo and behold, once open, the pinecones were absolutely beautiful!
This pinecone is decorated with a mixture of seed beads, glitter, mod podge and champagne color glitter paint.
Decorated bleached pinecones add a touch of monochromatic hues to a once rustic look!

To see more:

• Sally Roesner Fuhr
    Sally Roesner Fuhr Taylor Ridge, IL
    Your problem is that pine cones close when they are wet and reopen when they are dry.
  • Debd99
    debd99 Kew Gardens, NY
    I have just put the ones I find under pine trees in the oven for about 3 minutes or maybe 5. You've got to place them on either aluminum foil or parchment paper and use plastic gloves when handling them...they let out sap which is very sticky and hard
    Thanks to you Gail, Sally, and debd99. I am still waiting for them to completely dry. I see some indication that the last batch may be ok. I am trying to be patient!
  • Dee Berger
    Dee Berger Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I have left them in bleach for two days,,,nothing,,,,what went wrong?,,,would bleach gel be stronger and therefore work better? I used Clorox,,,sssooo disappointed!!!!
  • Audra Gawelek Schreiber
    I personally don't think they look that good. A little better with the glitter---but the plain ones just look gross. Sorry, but nature's cones are pretty and decretive the way they are.
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Search Feedback