Bleached Pine Cones & Decor

Crafts Yesterday
Tired of the rustic look of pinecones in your décor? Especially if you lean toward a light and airy look. Why not bleach your pinecones for an unusual beautiful effect in home décor. Be amazed by their resulting appearance. . . Beauty made more beautiful!
Difficulty: Easy
Gently pour bleach over the pinecones, cover and soak overnight or longer.
Dry on paper towels for a few days to reopen, or if impatient, put in a 275 degree oven for 1 hr. You can tell that the color of the scales have changed, but the beauty is yet to be seen.
Lo and behold, once open, the pinecones were absolutely beautiful!
This pinecone is decorated with a mixture of seed beads, glitter, mod podge and champagne color glitter paint.
Decorated bleached pinecones add a touch of monochromatic hues to a once rustic look!

To see more: http://plumperfectandme.blogspot.com/2013/10/bleached-pine-cones-decor.html

• Pamela Metzker
    Pamela Metzker Hendersonville, NC
    Yet another project...cannot wait to try this...
  • Cyndie Shevlin
    Cyndie Shevlin Rochester, NY
    Beautiful!
  • Kathy Meyer
    Kathy Meyer Kalamazoo, MI
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! Those are beautiful!!! I think I need to try this!
  • Vee J
    Vee J Lunenburg, VA
    I got pinecones up the woohoo and a large laundry tub i found at the dumpster & DOLLAR STORE HULA HOOP !! Guess what im gonna do this weekend..yup
  • Robin Berryhill-Johnson
    Robin Berryhill-Johnson Traverse City, MI
    Will this work with the scented Pine Cone's?
  • Alice Buck
    Alice Buck Thorofare, NJ
    I think I might give that a try and can add to my Wreaths, Sprays, etc. that I make for the Holidays. I hope they hold up in the outdoor weather.
  • Colleen Hamm
    Do they have the smell of the bleach??? Hate that smell, makes me ill!!
  • Gail@Purple Hues and Me
    Gail@Purple Hues and Me Millersville, MD
    I used pinecones from a craft store that had a cinnamon fragrance. I didn't notice a bleachy smell after they dried and opened up again and I could still smell the cinnamon afterwards.
  • Lottie_davenport @aol.com
    you do not get a bleach smell, need to rinse in warm water and let dry well.I put mine in a warm oven.
  • Heather
    Heather Loves Park, IL
    I can't wait to try this.
  • Rhonda
    Rhonda Martinsburg, WV
    I'm a big user of pine cones in my crafts and country center pieces. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Shelley Somerville
    DO not use the gel bleach you can now buy. It doesn't work with that type of bleach, no matter how long you let it sit.
  • Rhonda
    Rhonda Friendswood, TX
    awesome!! going to try this.
  • MaryAnn Jensen
    Looks like a fun project !!! Easy & cheap !!! Yippee !!!!
  • Sharon Shriver Frazee
    I love that. I think you could decorate with them longer in the year and not just Christmas.
Gail@Purple Hues and Me