DIY Trash Can Compost Bin

Composting is a great way to reduce the amount of waste that goes into trash fills each day and it makes the highest quality of soil in which you can use to nourish your growing garden (no matter how big or small!). I put off starting a compost bin for 2 years because I thought it would be difficult and expensive.

Lo and behold, this DIY trash can compost bin is the total opposite! Using tools you most likely already have on hand, this DIY project takes 10 minutes... flat. Read on the link to see the complete tutorial and my secret to creating compost, fast. --> http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-tras...

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy
  • First you'll want to drill holes in the bottom of the trash can. The more holes, the better aeration.
  • Second, you'll want to drill holes along the "sides" of the trash can (I know, round things don't have sides). I did about 4-5 rows around the trash can.
  • Drill a few holes on the top as well.
  • This is a better glimpse of what your holes should look like when you've completed them all.
  • There you have it! A simple, quick DIY compost bin! You can secure the top of the bin with bungee cords and roll it on it's side OR you can take a shovel and mix it every few days to get things moving along.

To see more: http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-trash-can-compost-bin/

• Libby Yuewhoo
    I have 2 large composters on the go, all thetime, but I like the idea of a round sealable garbage can that you canroll around. It would certainly speed upthe process.
  • Anthea Wood Close
    Anthea Wood Close Bradenton, FL
    this is such a great idea. Thank you.
  • Diane Howard
    Diane Howard Cordova, AL
    Thank you! I've told my husband this for a decade and since our garbage service changed and uses their own cans he through ours out. I was furious. I have a tin one from my Mom who passed away 3 years ago but I'm going to buy a new plastic one. Thanks
  • Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
    @dianehoward I hope this works for you!
  • Sherman0097
    sherman0097 Woonsocket, RI
    does anyone know if cow manure speeds up e composting time?
Healthy Roots, Happy Soul