Hometalk.com

For the Garden 04.11.14

DIY Trash Can Compost Bin

Composting is a great way to reduce the amount of waste that goes into trash fills each day and it makes the highest quality of soil in which you can use to nourish your growing garden (no matter how big or small!). I put off starting a compost bin for 2 years because I thought it would be difficult and expensive.

Lo and behold, this DIY trash can compost bin is the total opposite! Using tools you most likely already have on hand, this DIY project takes 10 minutes... flat. Read on the link to see the complete tutorial and my secret to creating compost, fast. --> http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-tra...

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-trash-can-compost-bin/

40 Comments Displaying 16 of 40 comments | See Previous
  • Del Bristow, VA
    Can I start a compost bin here in northern Virginia during the winter for summer of 2014?
    • Del Hi there. I am pretty much of a beginner when it comes to composting so I am not sure. You could always go to www.smallfootprintfamily.com. Dawn is a master gardener and composter and you could ask her this question via blog or FB page.
    • Carolyn Vermillion Elizabethton, TN
      Healthy Roots, Happy Soul In Tn- I never stop composting. do it all yr long will start a second one when I want the first to turn to gold. cut the top off of a milk jug to put my
  • Connie Wells Lufkin, TX
    I also read where you take a metal (galvanized) trashcan, drill the holes but not in the top and bury it in yard. Animals can't get to it because of the lid on it. It was a great article & I intended to try it but it did not say how to get it out. I
    • Connie Wells Hi Connie. I have not gotten to the part yet about taking it out of the trash can. As I mentioned above in another comment, I'm very much of a beginner and am kind of
  • Pam Fishers, IN
    this also works with the 5gallon buckets with lids from Lowes or Home Depot. There smaller size is a bit easier to wrangle without help.
    • Susan Brown Tampa, FL
      Pam I am using the 35 gallon containers from my cat litter. I love these buckets. It makes no sense to throw them out because they are very useful. I use them as garbage cans in my bathrooms. The
  • Suz Oklahoma City, OK
    ...good read--thanks Healthy Roots, Happy Soul ...
  • Joy Atlanta, GA
    Clever! I've never composted but always wanted to. Would like to know how this turns out for you. I don't know why though since we now live in a townhouse! lol
  • I did this years ago......love it!!!
  • Sibyl Partin Morrison, TN
    My mother was a master gardener. She always had a compost going. However she had" hers sitting in a wheelbarrow and the water that leaked out was what she called "tea". She put about a cup of "tea" in her gallon of rain water to water her flower
  • Richard Girou Remsen, NY
    Just an idea. Learned this from YouTube; growingyourowngreens.com. Use food scraps, wood chips(free from tree trimmers), and rock dust for great compost.
  • I have 2 large composters on the go, all thetime, but I like the idea of a round sealable garbage can that you canroll around. It would certainly speed upthe process.
  • Anthea Wood Close Bradenton, FL
    this is such a great idea. Thank you.
  • Diane Howard Cordova, AL
    Thank you! I've told my husband this for a decade and since our garbage service changed and uses their own cans he through ours out. I was furious. I have a tin one from my Mom who passed away 3 years ago but I'm going to buy a new plastic one. Thanks
  • @dianehoward I hope this works for you!