DIY Trash Can Compost Bin

Composting is a great way to reduce the amount of waste that goes into trash fills each day and it makes the highest quality of soil in which you can use to nourish your growing garden (no matter how big or small!). I put off starting a compost bin for 2 years because I thought it would be difficult and expensive.

Lo and behold, this DIY trash can compost bin is the total opposite! Using tools you most likely already have on hand, this DIY project takes 10 minutes... flat. Read on the link to see the complete tutorial and my secret to creating compost, fast. --> http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-tra...

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.healthyrootshappysoul.com/diy-trash-can-compost-bin/

• Judy4justice
    Judy4justice Pleasant Grove, AL
    I made 2 of these several months ago but mine have many more holes.They are too heavy for me to roll them so I use my garden claw to stir them.So far no dirt, but getting there.Its a fun project and costs nothing so why not try it?
  • Debbie Kelly
    Debbie Kelly North Fort Myers, FL
    Id like to try this in Florida .....Id hope by keeping it covered would keep out the flys dont want magots I guess for cost of a trash barrel id give it a try.anyone have any secrets for hot weather composting?
    • Theresa
      Theresa Baton Rouge, LA
      Lynn5280 The theory is that the compost should get warm enough to kill the weeds. I don't think mine get hot enough to kill them, but I use raised beds 4x4, so weeding isn't hard.
  • Robin Frady
    Robin Frady Saint Augustine, FL
    Great idea...I just scored 2 large trash cans FREE from a dumpster. Right now I'm just using a big ol' black plastic tree planter for my compost. I roll that around a few times a week and it does well too. There's probaly 20 worms per shovel full!!
  • Del
    Del Bristow, VA
    Can I start a compost bin here in northern Virginia during the winter for summer of 2014?
    • Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
      Del Hi there. I am pretty much of a beginner when it comes to composting so I am not sure. You could always go to www.smallfootprintfamily.com. Dawn is a master gardener and composter and you could ask her this question via blog or FB page.
    • Carolyn Vermillion
      Carolyn Vermillion Elizabethton, TN
      Healthy Roots, Happy Soul In Tn- I never stop composting. do it all yr long will start a second one when I want the first to turn to gold. cut the top off of a milk jug
  • Connie Wells
    Connie Wells Lufkin, TX
    I also read where you take a metal (galvanized) trashcan, drill the holes but not in the top and bury it in yard. Animals can't get to it because of the lid on it. It was a great article & I intended to try it but it did not say how to get it out. I
    • Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
      Connie Wells Hi Connie. I have not gotten to the part yet about taking it out of the trash can. As I mentioned above in another comment, I'm very much of a beginner and am kind
  • Pam
    Pam Fishers, IN
    this also works with the 5gallon buckets with lids from Lowes or Home Depot. There smaller size is a bit easier to wrangle without help.
    • Susan Brown
      Susan Brown Tampa, FL
      Pam I am using the 35 gallon containers from my cat litter. I love these buckets. It makes no sense to throw them out because they are very useful. I use them as garbage cans in my
  • Suz
    Suz Oklahoma City, OK
    ...good read--thanks Healthy Roots, Happy Soul ...
  • Joy
    Joy Atlanta, GA
    Clever! I've never composted but always wanted to. Would like to know how this turns out for you. I don't know why though since we now live in a townhouse! lol
  • Joyful Transitions LLC Home Staging, Redesign & Mo
    I did this years ago......love it!!!
  • Sibyl Partin
    Sibyl Partin Morrison, TN
    My mother was a master gardener. She always had a compost going. However she had" hers sitting in a wheelbarrow and the water that leaked out was what she called "tea". She put about a cup of "tea" in her gallon of rain water to water her flower
  • Richard Girou
    Richard Girou Remsen, NY
    Just an idea. Learned this from YouTube; growingyourowngreens.com. Use food scraps, wood chips(free from tree trimmers), and rock dust for great compost.
  • Libby Yuewhoo
    I have 2 large composters on the go, all thetime, but I like the idea of a round sealable garbage can that you canroll around. It would certainly speed upthe process.
  • Anthea Wood Close
    Anthea Wood Close Bradenton, FL
    this is such a great idea. Thank you.
  • Diane Howard
    Diane Howard Cordova, AL
    Thank you! I've told my husband this for a decade and since our garbage service changed and uses their own cans he through ours out. I was furious. I have a tin one from my Mom who passed away 3 years ago but I'm going to buy a new plastic one. Thanks
  • Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
    @dianehoward I hope this works for you!
Healthy Roots, Happy Soul