Hometalk.com

Gardening & More 03.07.14

How to Paint $1 Flower Pots and Add Color to Your Backyard

Want to see how I added to color to my back yard on a budget??? For only .99 cents for each pot!!! We have a very large back yard and a very small budget, so I had to get creative with adding some color. In less than an hour my daughter and I painted a bunch of these pots (found at the .99 Cents Store) and have them all around our patio to add some “Punch” of color. I bought some craft paint at Michaels. You can usually find it for about $1-$2 and they always have coupons too. We applied two coats of paint and it dried in a couple hours outside. We didn’t tape off as they are going outside and we weren’t going for perfection here. I bought some pretty flowers at Armstrong Nursery, but if I hit it right some days I will find beautiful little flowers at the .99 Cents store too. I just put a rock or two in the bottom for some drainage and then used a good potting compost to add in with the flowers. Now we have two dogs and one is a puppy so if left unattended for too long she will knock them over and do a little digging, so we’re always trying those little tricks to get her to stop digging. If you have any good one’s please leave them in the comments.

So I just planted the pretty flowers and then watered them well. If you want to take a tour of our back yard please click above on

Time: 2 Hours Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://concordcottage.com/diy-painted-flower-pots-add-color-to-your-backyard/

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Judy4justice Pleasant Grove, AL
    Very pretty!!I have several pots I should do this with.Thanks.
  • Valerie South Africa
    Love the colors, and it certainly transforms your stairs! Thanks for sharing!
  • Dorothy Hoskins Sonora, CA
    here's another idea.... They sell glow in the dark paint and after you paint the pots, you can add a layer of it to them. They soak up the light during the day and glow at night. Make sure you paint the pots with the colored paint first otherwise the
  • Michele Schaub Hardin, MT
    Did you put any type of weatherizer over the paint? Have they fared summer well?
  • Carol Fortescue, NJ
    Nice to know re the 99¢ store. I want to know where you got your chair pads.
    • Carol Hi Carol, I got them last summer at Marshalls and I had to go to two to find enough. I will have to see if I can find the name, I think it was Shorehouse, i'll have to dig....lol. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa
  • Lynn Sugar Land, TX
    As for the puppy.............red pepper is a great deterent. No body gets really 'hurt' but makes them seem a whole lot less attractive!
  • Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Arethe pots in your photos plastic or ceramic?And are the flowers real? did you start from seeds?thanks!looks like a fun spring project to do with my kids!
  • Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    BTW, Michael's and ACMoore have coupons on their sites all the time. I check every week to see if its something I can use.

Thx for the ideas and

• Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'm off to Dollar tree tomorrow-as if I needed an excuse!thanks for the photos, great motivator!