Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
garden 06.29.14

How to Paint $1 Flower Pots and Add Color to Your Backyard

Our backyard needs a lot of love but after pouring all our money into our 93 year old home I had to get creative this summer to make it look pretty, add some color and do it on a budget???
I found these terracotta pots at the .99 Cents Store!!!
In less than an hour my daughter and I painted a bunch of these pots in red, yellow, green and orange. We have them all around our patio and it really gave it that “Punch” of color.
We already had patio furniture so I just found some pretty striped cushions at Marshalls and covered a $2 ottoman with fun bright fabric.
I bought some pretty flowers at Armstrong Nursery, but if I hit it right some days I will find beautiful little flowers at the .99 Cents store too.
I just put a rock or two in the bottom for some drainage and then used a good potting compost to add in with the flowers.
I put them up our little stair way too and they coordinate with the striped rug.
Now we have two dogs and one is a puppy so if left unattended for too long she will knock them over and do a little digging, so I can easily move them up high when I need too.
Here's how I did it. I bought some craft paint at Michaels. You can usually find it for about $.69 to 1 and they always have coupons too. You can add the app right to your phone.
We applied two coats of paint and it dried in a couple hours outside.
We didn’t tape off as they are going outside and we weren’t going for perfection here.
So I just planted the pretty flowers and then watered them well. If you want to take a tour of our back yard please click above on our blog link and you can see our pretty pool too. #Exterior #JuneGarden #Backyard #BackyardIdeas #Garden #GardenFeature
Here they are a year later and the pots still look great and add fun bright color to your yard!!!
Thank you for stopping by and have a great day, Lisa
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://concordcottage.com/diy-painted-flower-pots-add-color-to-your-backyard/

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Judy4justice
    Judy4justice Pleasant Grove, AL
    Very pretty!!I have several pots I should do this with.Thanks.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    Love the colors, and it certainly transforms your stairs! Thanks for sharing!
  • Dorothy Hoskins
    Dorothy Hoskins Sonora, CA
    here's another idea.... They sell glow in the dark paint and after you paint the pots, you can add a layer of it to them. They soak up the light during the day and glow at night. Make sure you paint the pots with the colored paint first otherwise the
    • ConcordCottage.com with Lisa Walsh Huff Kroll
      Dorothy Hoskins Hi Dorothy, thanks so much for that great tip. I LOVE that idea. I'm gonna do it. I didn't know you could paint it over colored paint. Thanks again and have a great day, Lisa
  • Michele Schaub
    Michele Schaub Hardin, MT
    Did you put any type of weatherizer over the paint? Have they fared summer well?
  • Carol
    Carol Fortescue, NJ
    Nice to know re the 99¢ store. I want to know where you got your chair pads.
      Carol Hi Carol, I got them last summer at Marshalls and I had to go to two to find enough. I will have to see if I can find the name, I think it was Shorehouse, i'll have to dig....lol. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa
  • Lynn
    Lynn Sugar Land, TX
    As for the puppy.............red pepper is a great deterent. No body gets really 'hurt' but makes them seem a whole lot less attractive!
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Arethe pots in your photos plastic or ceramic?And are the flowers real? did you start from seeds?thanks!looks like a fun spring project to do with my kids!
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    BTW, Michael's and ACMoore have coupons on their sites all the time. I check every week to see if its something I can use.

Thx for the ideas and

Polly Zieper I LOVE Michaels and always use their coupon right from my phone. I haven't heard of AcMoore but I'll have to check if we have one out here. have a great day Lisa
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'm off to Dollar tree tomorrow-as if I needed an excuse!thanks for the photos, great motivator!
ConcordCottage.com with Lisa Walsh Huff Kroll

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!