How to Paint $1 Flower Pots and Add Color to Your Backyard

Jardin!!!! 05.08.15
Our backyard needs a lot of love but after pouring all our money into our 93 year old home I had to get creative this summer to make it look pretty, add some color and do it on a budget??? In less than an hour my daughter and I painted a bunch of these pots in red, yellow, green and orange. This is a great idea for kids because they don't have to be perfect.
Time: 2 Hours Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy
You can even add dots, stripes or handprints if you like. We have them all around our patio and it really gave it that “Punch” of color.
I found these terracotta pots at the .99 Cents Store and they carry them all year I believe!!!
We already had patio furniture so I just found some pretty striped cushions at Marshalls and covered a $2 ottoman with fun bright fabric.
I bought some pretty flowers at Armstrong Nursery, but if I hit it right some days I will find beautiful little flowers at the .99 Cents store too.
I just put a rock or two in the bottom for some drainage and then used a good potting compost to add in with the flowers.
I put them up our little stair way too and they coordinate with the striped rug.
Now we have two dogs and one is a puppy so if left unattended for too long she will knock them over and do a little digging, so I can easily move them up high when I need too.
Here's how I did it. I bought some craft paint at Michaels. You can usually find it for about $.69 to 1 and they always have coupons too. You can add the app right to your phone.
We applied two coats of paint and it dried in a couple hours outside.
We didn’t tape off as they are going outside and we weren’t going for perfection here.
So I just planted the pretty flowers and then watered them well. If you want to take a tour of our back yard please click above on our blog link and you can see our pretty pool too. #Exterior #JuneGarden #Backyard #BackyardIdeas #Garden #GardenFeature
Here they are a year later and the pots still look great and add fun bright color to your yard!!! #KidsIdeas #PowerofPaint #HometalkEveryday #DollarStore #Debbiedoos.
Thank you for stopping by and have a great day, Lisa
Click on link below for full tutorial and more pictures

To see more: http://concordcottage.com/diy-painted-flower-pots-add-color-to-your-backyard/

• Debi T
    Debi T Jacksonville, FL
    My Mom beat you to this over 30 years ago......she used to paint every pot she got her hands on, and she loved to paint them bright green! Thanks for sharing; it brought back memories of her as she has been gone over 20 years.
  • Maureen Wilson
    Maureen Wilson Hesperia, CA
    I love what you did. So simple but what great impact they made.
  • Becky Olbon
    Becky Olbon Lilburn, GA
    Do you need to seal the paint on the pots with anything?
    • Bonny McDaniel
      Bonny McDaniel Paradise, CA
      Becky Olbon I don't think she did seal them but it is a very good idea, otherwise the salts in the soil will soak through and destroy the color and rain or hose water will also fade the color.
    • ConcordCottage.com with Lisa Walsh Huff Kroll
      Becky Olbon Hi Becky, I didn't seal them and they've been outside over a year and still look great, but yes that would be a great idea. I figured at that price I could add more paint or paint new ones since I like to change things up a lot
  • Melinda smith
    melinda smith Cocoa, FL
    Very pretty. Try adding some stencils too! So fun...I added bumblebees and ladybugs and butterflies to mine!!
  • Brookscmej
    Definitely will use your idea! Very pretty and colorful. Good job! 😊
  • Donna Harrington
    Donna Harrington Sherburne, NY
    I have been looking for a way to add some color to my apartment, (we aren't aloud to paint the walls). This would be great and I have very deep window sills to arrange them on.
  • Paula Guy
    Paula Guy Winter Haven, FL
    So cute! Will be doing this with my grandchildren soon!
  • Cindy-Carroll Allen-Carley
    So colorful................WE LOVE THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Marilyn Barnes
    Marilyn Barnes Bangs, TX
    I love this! Great job, just beautiful!
  • Moduffy725
    I sprayed mine with a coat of pure sealer otherwise the paint chips
  • Ginger
    Ginger Southwick, MA
    love the colors! beautiful!
  • Marilyn V
    Marilyn V Farmland, IN
    You can buy outdoor or patio paint that will withstand the weather. The paint is usually the same price or just a few cents more and is located in the same area.
  • Jayne Haumschild
    Jayne Haumschild Spring Hill, FL
    I love it when it starts to weather a bit. And I love it when it is bright and sunny also. Great idea...... just got me motivated.
  • Diane Rudolph Oakes
    Diane Rudolph Oakes Havertown, PA
    Can't wait to do this! Hope it works on plastic as I already have a bunch.
  • Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Where can you get flowering plants for a dollar?Our Dollar Tree has seeds and soil but no live plants.
ConcordCottage.com with Lisa Walsh Huff Kroll