Hometalk.com

pallet ideas 7 days ago

Repurposed Pallet Into a Do-It-Yourself Bench

This was an awesome project. We ship our gutter guards from the plant to the main warehouse on pallets, so we had a few laying around and decided to make something out of them. After looking around a while here on HomeTalk.com we decided to combine a few of the ideas to make our own repurposed pallet bench.

We used about 4 pallets (free) and bought one 10ft cedar 4×4 post, eight 10in bolts, some washers & nuts. We had some deck screws laying around and also some leftover paint/stain to finish it off. All in all, we spent under $20-30. Sizes and prices may vary depending on your material sizes and desired bench.

1. Breakdown all the pallets into individual boards.

This is probably the most time consuming and difficult part. There were many methods being used here. It kind of seemed like, whatever works best for you… use it! Sometimes use a pry-bar. Sometimes whack it with a hammer. Put it on a table and use a 2×4 to spread out the impact across the nailed area, and whack that. Stomp on it. Twist it. Kick it. This is an opportunity to get out your anger and stress.

9 Comments Displaying 9 of 9 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Bravo..I love it! Tagging FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna - I think she was the first person to ever post a pallet bench on Hometalk, so I'm sure she'll appreciate this. Thanks for the informative post!
  • Yes! She has some awesome ideas! She had the staggered backrest look that we went with. So cool. ~Ben N.
  • Eunice Rochner Paris, KY
    I think it is great!! If only I had a handy Hubby...!!!!!
  • Charlotte Harrison Nottingham, PA
    :)
  • Frank C Lawrenceville, GA
    Great looking bench, I like the cost.........Next to nothing
  • Betty819 Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, that's what I called "recycle" Give the man a big hand of applause! Now did you paint it afterwards or put a sealer on it? Or just going to leave it out in the elements and let it weather naturally? My DH used to break the pallets down after work
  • Laurence La Jolla, CA
    beautiful! I want one or two... Honeydo list.
  • Betty819 we used a sealer on it. Going to leave it out in the elements and probably put another coat on it next summer or when it needs one. Hey, using the pallet wood for the attic floor was a great recycle of it!
  • Judy Kyle, TX
    This is such a great idea for using what you have. Thanks for sharing.