Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Backyard 6 days ago

How To Overwinter Potted Fig Trees

I could not find this information anywhere when I first started growing fig trees in pots, so I'm sharing it in case you need it too.

Many fig trees are hardy (can survive year round outdoors) in gardening zones 7 to 11. With these overwintering tips, you can keep them thriving in zones as low as 4.

'Overwintering' means protecting a plant through the cold winter months until it can resume growing in the warmth of spring once again.

You will need a winter storage space like a garage where (ideally) the temperature stays between 0-10°C / 32 to 50° F.

There's just a few simple steps to take in the fall and then again in the spring (see the image below). You're basically encouraging the tree to go to sleep and wake up again when winter is over.

I know some people who wish they could do this too!

Full details here -->http://www.empressofdirt.net/overwintering-figs/

#winterize

To see more: http://www.empressofdirt.net/overwintering-figs/

6 Comments Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Luis
    Luis East Haven, CT
    I keep mine in the unattachedgarage from the house with no heat and they do very well, as soon as I put themoutside I ad to the soil lime about a 1/2 cup for a large pot make the figsmuch sweeter.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Joan A
    Joan A Beaverton, OR
    My Vern's brown turkey fig stays out all year in a large pot. We are in zone 7, Hillsboro, OR. the leaves are now off of it and the figs are still ripening.
  • Empress of Dirt - Melissa
    Yes, many are hardy from zone 7 up. I'm in zone 6 so I have to bring mine in for the winter or wrap them up.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Our fig tree is on the side of the house protected from wind and we just chop it back each year. So far, so good!
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!