Hometalk.com

Before & After 11.28.13

DIY Bathroom Renovation

My husband and I completely renovated my father's outdated and neglected master bathroom in less than 24 hours. This included replacing the toilet, sink, vanity, mirror, light fixture, other bathroom fixtures, and flooring. In all, it was very easy to do and it's amazing what you can accomplish when your heart's set on something. A complete tutorial on how we renovated the bathroom may be found at my blog, Paint Speckled Pawprints: http://paintspeckledpawprints.blogspot.com/2....
Time: 24 Hours Cost: $1000 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://paintspeckledpawprints.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-special-bathroom-reveal.html

119 Comments Displaying 15 of 119 comments | See Previous
  • Robin Norris Lake Charles, LA
    Question? How old was the house? We are living in a 60s vintage house that has vinyl floor and I'm wondering if tearing it out will release asbestos? Can't we go over the top?
    • Kirsten S Blacksburg, VA
      Robin Norris The house was built in 1979, and everything in the bathroom was original. You can absolutely install tile over your existing vinyl as long as the vinyl is in decent shape.
  • Sidney Pilot Point, TX
    I really like the original turquoise tile, so I'm glad that you left it. The beige looks wonderful with it.
    • Kirsten S Blacksburg, VA
      Sidney Thank you, Sidney! The shower was the only thing in my dad's bathroom that was operable, so I didn't want to touch it. I was worried about it clashing, but the towels my dad already had
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Fantastic Job! It does not take tens of thousands of dollars to do a renovation on a bathroom. Not everyone can afford nor wants one of those elaborate redos because they do not consider a bathroom anything but a "functional" room (I am one of those). I
    • Kirsten S Blacksburg, VA
      Jeanette S I completely agree! I encourage everyone I know to try renovating their home themselves first instead of hiring contractors. The end result is always a lot more rewarding, too. If
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    As much as I love those $25,000 bathroom renovations, I cannot afford to do my 3 full baths and the half bath. I am enclosing a photo of where we took down wall paper after so many years and the wall was in awful shape. I would even think about having
  • Robin S Grayson, KY
    Great job Kirsten! You have excellent taste!
  • Driftwood Gardens Forked River, NJ
    Looks fantastic! My bathroom is next on my list of projects. Thanks for sharing.
  • Donna Hallowell Keene, NH
    Is the paint Gray or blue, it's hard to tell. Either way it's beautiful.
  • Fran Barrett Decatur, GA
    Well done! Thanks for sharing it!
  • David Stanley Thailand
    Nicely done! Now all it needs is a Hand Bidet Sprayer = better than a bidet and 10x better than toilet paper. See www.bathroomsprayers.com.
  • Linda Baltimore, MD
    great job, lucky Dad
  • Kevin F Nanty Glo, PA
    Beautiful Job. One Lucky Father. I Especially love the lights. Helped me make a decision in my BR. The vanity mirror is not a medicine chest. I also rejuvenated my bathroom, retiled the floor, pedestal sink, and a Niagra top flush toilet. My hold up is