Natural Pest Control: Using Ladybugs

MT GARDEN 4 days ago
Did you know that a single aphid can produce 600 billion descendants in ONE season? That's pretty scary, but luckily ladybugs can come to the rescue. Learn how to attract them to your garden and how to use ladybugs as a natural pest control.

http://littlemountainhaven.blogspot.ca/2013/...

Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Ladybugs do love aphids, but it's hard to get them to stick around once the banquet is finished.
    • Little Mountain Haven
      Douglas Hunt I really find that growing the plants they're attracted to helps them stay- any frilly leaves like carrots, parsley etc. I go into details in the linked post. :)
  • Veronica Wheeler
    Veronica Wheeler Fair Lawn, NJ
    You have to release them at night. It discourages them from flying away. Ladybugs are my most favorite bug in the world!
  • Steve Harpster
    Steve Harpster North Las Vegas, NV
    I agree Douglas Hunt
  • Carol Ann
    Carol Ann Clay, NY
    I agree. Works well, but hard to keep them around for the season.
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I love those ladybugs but I ordered them and turned them loose and they all flew away. I will try the night release the next time and thank you Veronica Wheeler.
  • Mikell Paulson
    Mikell Paulson Silverdale, WA
    I have had my lady bugs stay and even winter through in the fire wood in the wood shed. When I go out to get wood I would thump the wood so they would fall off! Then I would sweep them up and put them under a piece of wood so they can sleep through the
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    You need to make sure to plant and provide a habitat that will make them want to stay.
  • Patches
    Patches Canada
    I water or spray my plants before releasing a bunch at a time in the evening. If I notice they aren't staying around I sprinkle something called Beneficial Bug Food which will attract native ladybugs, lacewings and other beneficial bugs. I make a paste
  • Veronica Wheeler
    Veronica Wheeler Fair Lawn, NJ
    My pleasure! Happy Thanksgiving.
  • Merrilyn merkley
    Love lady bugs and they are good luck
Little Mountain Haven