Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Is there a such thing as purple knockout roses?

12.22.13
A couple of volunteers and I are in the process of planning a memorial bench that we are going to build to place at the library for a little girl who was killed by her step father. We are trying to figure out what plants and flowers we want. The little girl's favorite color was purple, so it was suggested to look for purple knockouts due to their long bloom time. I cannot find a such thing. Does anyone know if these exist or have any other suggestions? I live in zone 5 and have very cold winters and do not want to place any plants or flowers that will need a lot of maintenance (as in digging bulbs up every fall). THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
14 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    No purple Knockouts as yet. They come in pink, yellow and several shades of red, You might want to consider some of the antique or rugosa type roses. Also easy to care for but some of them do come in shades of purple. Try the Antique Rose Emporium in
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Amy Baer
    I simply adore purple roses. The prettiest, most fragrant one is called Sterling Silver lavender. check with you local nursery that specializes in roses. We have one here in Ohio called Oakland nursery.
  • Terryspansy
    Terryspansy Milton, FL
    I personally love the blue boy rose and the smell is great also.
  • Vicky Slone
    Vicky Slone Mc Dowell, KY
    PURPLE IS MY FAVORITE COLOR,,,OF COURSE THERE IS PURPLE ROSES,,,YELLOW IS MY SECOND FAVORITE,,
  • Mansetomboy
    Mansetomboy Canada
    I have had two Blue Girls in Zone 6, but they have not wintered well. However, their colour is more lavender, they bloom several at a time and the fragrance is to die for! I came across hybrids such as Ebb Tide, Rotesmeer and Reine des Violettes
  • Judy4justice
    Judy4justice Pleasant Grove, AL
    I have seen purple roses, I believe you might find them at Cottage Farms online Nursery,Or try Gurneys, Brecks,White Flower Farms.?Hope you find them.They are out there, just can't remember exactly where I saw them.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    The purple that was the little girl's favorite color is a challenging color to find in a rose, knockout or otherwise. The closest you would probably get might be a lavender. I don't think you should write off bulbs and other perennials so quickly.
  • Catherine Smith
    Catherine Smith Fredericksburg, VA
    You were asking for more carefree roses, so I didn't mention either the Blue Girl or Lavender as they are both Tea rose variety. Beautiful, but required regular care. Agree with Douglas, perhaps use a different color rose in a bed of bulbs, many of which
  • Jessy Helbing
    Jessy Helbing East Dubuque, IL
    Thank you all so much for the advice, I am attaching a picture of the "plan" of the bench. The flowers and plants in the pic were added by the designer just for show but we decided to go with a similar plan. Due to there being no such thing as purple
      Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
      Jessy Helbing I would substitute a small lilac like "Miss Kim" for the fountain grass and plant the alliums amidst the lower plants in front. The back I think is going to be the biggest
  • BeazerBea
    BeazerBea West Chicago, IL
    Have never heard of a Purple Knock Out Roses- the only lasting blooming blast would be the Blue Hygrangea.
  • Jane Staude
    Jane Staude Jefferson, WI
    I wouldn't put Roses in because they all take some care, there are no purple knock out roses. The Miss Kim lilac also take a bit of trimming to stay small, I have them and they also take care. A good suggestion is bulbs and fountain grass, easy to take
  • Tizer Botanic Gardens & Arboretum
    Tizer Botanic Gardens & A... Jefferson City, MT
    For many years Growers have been trying to create a deeppurple & a black rose. I think it will be a long time in the making, ifever. Many flowers labeled purple is not what most people think of as purple. You may want to look at a Barbara Streisand Rose
  • Ann S
    Ann S Kalamazoo, MI
    Illinois still gets to cold for them, look what I did hoping they just get threw our winter here in Michigan & if there was purple I would have them being favorite color. I agree with Douglas a small purple lilac would do much better!
Jessy Helbing
  • Like

Catherine Smith