DIY Countertop Revival

Interiors: Kitchen 2 days ago
This is the perfect project for renters or apartment dwellers! Are your kitchen countertops ugly and dated? Use contact paper to revive them! All you need for this project is decorative contact paper or adhesive shelf liner, which I found at Target for $5.24; clear caulk (about $3 at any home improvement store); a razor blade or box cutter; and finally, Mod Podge or a food-safe sealant. I searched a lot of stores for shelf liner in a black and white design,and on my expedition I found many options: faux wood grain, faux stainless steel, and other cute options that just didn't happen to match my vision, but may be perfect for your home. Get creative with your countertops!
Time: 1 Hour Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
  • This project is very detail-oriented, as the laying of contact paper can get pretty tedious. It's sticky, but it is easy to remove and realign, so you can give yourself a few shots at laying the paper down without bubbles or wrinkles.
  • The first step is to wipe down your counter with soap and water, and allow it to dry. This is really important because the contact paper sticks better to clean surfaces.
  • After the area dries, measure your counter space. You will have to have a seam between two strips of contact paper; I recommend creating as few seams as you can. I added 1/2" extra on each side, which I trimmed more precisely later.
  • 1. Remove the backing in small pieces, to avoid a sticky mess; 2. Trim the edges close to the wall; 3. Add clear caulk along the wall seams; 4. (Opt.) Use sealant for protection (my counter here is not for food, so I used Mod Podge).
  • Some advice: When making a seam with two strips of contact paper, overlap about an inch. That way the opportunity for food or water to slither its way underneath is slim.
  • The best part? The counters will easily be restored when I move--I'll just peel them up and scrape off the caulk with a razor. Good luck with your counters, and have fun!

To see more: http://rentalrevival.com/home/2013/6/16/diy-countertop-revival

• Judyanorton7
    Judyanorton7 Coeur D Alene, ID
    My daughter and I put it on her counter tops in her old apartment and wow, did it make a huge difference. It looked like she had a new kitchen. She lived there 5 years and looked just as good when she left as when we did it. I have just decided to try it
  • Teresa DeNardo
    Teresa DeNardo Bradenton, FL
    I just bought an old old mobile home. Even if I had the $$$, (which I don't), I don't think granite countertops would work!!! Just wouldn't go. Lol. Anyway, the thought of tearing up the old stuff and getting into who knows what kind of other repairs and
  • Pat Cobb
    Pat Cobb Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I love how your counter top looks.
  • Michelle
    Michelle Roanoke, VA
    using contact does not have a smell I have asthma and used contact paper in a variety of places and with not problem. I think I will find some pretty contact paper to do my awful brown/black countertops that previous owners put in.
  • Joanne Wolfe
    Joanne Wolfe Everett, WA
    I'm not sure how to word this delicately, no matter how cute we think this is, putting on the counters of a rental property is not right. Unless you are prepared to either remove it yourself before vacating the property or forfeiting your damage deposit.
Megan Poletti

Search Feedback