Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

DIY Countertop Revival

DIY 6 days ago
This is the perfect project for renters or apartment dwellers! Are your kitchen countertops ugly and dated? Use contact paper to revive them! All you need for this project is decorative contact paper or adhesive shelf liner, which I found at Target for $5.24; clear caulk (about $3 at any home improvement store); a razor blade or box cutter; and finally, Mod Podge or a food-safe sealant. I searched a lot of stores for shelf liner in a black and white design,and on my expedition I found many options: faux wood grain, faux stainless steel, and other cute options that just didn't happen to match my vision, but may be perfect for your home. Get creative with your countertops!
Time: 1 Hour Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://rentalrevival.com/home/2013/6/16/diy-countertop-revival

98 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 19 of 98 comments | See Previous
  • Artzzle & Cheryl
    Artzzle & Cheryl Princeton, MN
    I too, have used contact paper forever, for lots of projects. I know it works for back splashes, but just don't see how it would hold up very long, on counter tops for kitchen tasks and food prep? Does anyone have stats on the longevity of this, how long
    • Nanci Nottingham
      Nanci Nottingham Daphne, AL
      Cheryl @ Artzzle.com I have used every color imaginable on my kitchen counters!! Absolutely love it! I get to change my countertops any time I want to change up the look. I
  • Ruth Wilkinson
    Ruth Wilkinson Louisville, KY
    Note: My sister, who's a retired housing inspector for the military, says to never use contact paper, as the glue attracts roaches! Just sayin.....
    • Jan 3 Boll
      Jan 3 Boll Muskegon, MI
      Ruth Wilkinson I use contact paper on lots of things - never had bugs of any kind. My last contact paper projects were the hood above my stove and the cupboard doors on my neighbor across the hall. I also covered the switch plates t bring it together.
  • Graceful Angels
    Graceful Angels Australia
    Personally I wouldn't use Contact as the smell sets off my asthma. Many of us with sensitivities will have problems for a long time as the chemicals give off a strong smell for quite sometime. I know if you put a hot pan on it it will bubble and be
  • Abbie
    Abbie Bellevue, NE
    Another more environmentally friendly way to remove sticky messes is to make a paste from baking soda and olive oil. Let set on the sticky parts for a few minutes then wipe off and wash down with a soapy cloth. Works wonders for removing labels from jars
    • Loribeth
      Loribeth Muskegon, MI
      Abbie I never heard of using baking soda and olive oil for that kind of thing. I've always used goo gone. I'm going to try it! Thanks for the tip!
  • Betsy Lute
    Betsy Lute Parker, CO
    I have never had a problem in the many years using contact paper. We used cutting boards and hot pads as you would with any nice surface. I would say it lasts with minimum care 3-4 years, but only changed it because I wanted a different look. Easiest to
  • Melissa S. Wright
    Melissa S. Wright Springtown, TX
    Thanks so much for the idea!! I've never thought of using contact paper on my counter tops! But such a fabulous idea, I have granite so will probably never change it. So this will be the perfect solution in about 10 yrs when I get really bored with the
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    I've done this several times in the past and just recently did my bathroom vanity with faux marble. It always looks spectacular. I seal it with water-based varathane.
  • Artzzle & Cheryl
    Artzzle & Cheryl Princeton, MN
    Well, it sounds like many of you have had great results with wear. I may have to try this on the island and see how it works for me. Everyone have a safe, warm and happy holiday.
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    I have used contact papers for years as a shelf liner for wooden shelves. I like the ability to wipe them down any time something spills. No bugs either.
  • Flowersgal
    Flowersgal Bonita Springs, FL
    I love this idea! It will definitely come to use for me. Thank You
  • Melissa Blair
    Melissa Blair Dayton, OH
    I think it's a great idea for anyone on a strict budget like myself. My countertop goes up about 2 inches onto the wall. Do you think it will work on that curve? Might be a challenge but think I will try it until I can afford my recycled glass
    • Loribeth
      Loribeth Muskegon, MI
      Melissa Blair The countertop at my old house had that 2 inches that is curved, and I used it on those countertops with no problem. It takes a little more time to position it, but it can be done.
  • Judyanorton7
    Judyanorton7 Coeur D Alene, ID
    My daughter and I put it on her counter tops in her old apartment and wow, did it make a huge difference. It looked like she had a new kitchen. She lived there 5 years and looked just as good when she left as when we did it. I have just decided to try it
  • Teresa DeNardo
    Teresa DeNardo Bradenton, FL
    I just bought an old old mobile home. Even if I had the $$$, (which I don't), I don't think granite countertops would work!!! Just wouldn't go. Lol. Anyway, the thought of tearing up the old stuff and getting into who knows what kind of other repairs and
  • Pat Cobb
    Pat Cobb Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I love how your counter top looks.
  • Michelle
    Michelle Roanoke, VA
    using contact does not have a smell I have asthma and used contact paper in a variety of places and with not problem. I think I will find some pretty contact paper to do my awful brown/black countertops that previous owners put in.
Megan Poletti

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing