What is the best non chemical solution for a clogged drain?

07.22.11
  • Jay B
    Jay B Los Angeles, CA
    Aside from a snake?
  • Yamini LEED AP at Urbanmotifs
    I always use the snake and it has worked for me, but I hate the very thought of clogging the toilet with a snake. I recently saw a company named Coroma that sells low flow toilets that will never clog. The Coroma just functions differently and they
  • John H
    John H Clermont, FL
    I have heard that the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar can dislodge minor clogs (I've never tried it though). A plunger has worked for me on many occasions. I've also had a coat hanger do the trick too.
  • Jay B
    Jay B Los Angeles, CA
    Right, John -- plungers are usually the very best, cheapest, safest way, and unless it's a very serious clog, it's the way to go. Yamini, the problem with the Coroma replacement, if I understand it, it that sounds like it'll only help if the clog is at
  • Level One Construction Co., LLC
    NOTE: Be careful with chemicals in a stubborn clog! Years ago I poured a recommended dosage in my basement toilet. Evidently the clog didn't give but the chemical reaction caused a gas bubble which rose back up pushing all the water and sewage right into
  • Yamini LEED AP at Urbanmotifs
    @Jay, The wider pipe decision was a good one from your side, what can a home owner do to an existing toilet? I felt Coroma would solve the issue but from your observation it seems like it does not! The snake and the plunger are good for a clog, I just
  • Level One Construction Co., LLC
    Many times, it's not the toilet in general. Sometimes it is. They are not all created equal. A premium toilet will have the "p-trap glazed as well for ease of sewage removal. EPA regulations were a pill at the onset with gallon-per-flush requirements and
  • Amazing Improvements and Garages
    Sue, have you seen the solutions from GT Water Products? A california company and one one of the top 10 companies in the country for women to work at? http://www.gtwaterproducts.com/
  • Dave B
    Go to Wal-Mart and buy the black accordion style plunger. It is made out of plastic, when you are holding it you will swear that this will never work, BUT IT DOES!! It works like a champ. I might also add that it is very inexpensive. I believe it was
  • CR Draves . com
    CR Draves . com Fremont, CA
    It's always best not to use a chemical to clear a drain. A couple of minutes on youtube will give you enough information to do the job yourself. Snaking a big drain is not a do it yourself event, your better off calling a plumber.
Sue M