I had a dresser that wasn't reparable for dresser use. I wanted to do something with it because it still had good wood structure and the style is very unique.
Here is what I started with.
Horrible water damage to it's top and sides.
Horrible particle board top. This dresser was both real wood and particle board.
Lining the decorative backing was very difficult but i managed. I had to build wood sides to attach the backing to because it was all hollow.
I wanted to do a re-purpose from a dresser to a bench for a long time and waited for the right one to convert and this one was the one. I'm sorry I didn't get many pictures as to the support system I built but it's very standard. I had actually built two layers of weight support throughout the side framing. I needed the two front sides and decided to cut out the drawers and made a curved look.
Sanded the drawers for a nice smooth clean look and that new wood smell.
I didn't have one large piece for the top arm rest but I decided to draw cut and create my own.
My jigsaw works very well and was able to give it a clean straight cut.
Here is my cut before a light sanding.
I originally wasn't going to bother with cushions but I couldn't help myself.
Measuring and cutting the foam :)
Bottom cushions sized and cut.
I also made 3 throw pillows as well.
A complete Transformation. I'm no professional in wood working but, I must say, I think I did good with this one. I have a small house, a small place to work and a small amount of tools, no pretty background & setup for pictures but I always just do my best with what I have. Always growing my knowledge for wood working. I'm sorry I didn't get many follow along pictures for this one, i tend to forget because I get so deep in to my work! I will be sharing more projects and taking more pictures throughout the process. Thanks for looking :)
I was originally going to paint the drawers along with the frame but the wood was entirely to nice and went with a partial stain & paint.
I made Removable/Washer safe Envelope Cushion Covers. Very easy to clean and they are very durable.
Materials I used for this project: