We are all about natural beauty here at Zest. Mix in getting crafty with Dollar Store finds and we are talking a legit Zest it Up project!
When I spied these long wooden handled spa brushes for 99C, I immediately thought of Mother’s Day. A little sprucing and crafting could easily turn them into something trendy and chic. Ummmm.. I don’t know about you, but as a mom myself, I would love a little spoiling with a spa day for Mother’s Day. If giving your Mama a spa day isn’t in the budget this year, no fret! This is a simple way to give her a chic spa day from the comfort of her own home. A perfect way to spoil Mama without spoiling your wallet. This is also a great DIY gift for any pal who has a birthday, bridal shower, or other special event coming up!
Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
Time: 1 Hours Cost: $15 Difficulty: Easy
- long wooden handled body brushes (found mine at the 99C Store)
- 1 pack of RIT dye (Navy)
- 1 container of epsom salt (99C Store, again)
- fresh lavender (from my yard)
- cool glass container from the thrift store
- cozy towel (found the cute striped one at the 99C Store)
- cool “basket” or container for holding all the goodies
- optional: a great book, a scented candle, a bottle of wine, a face mask
Mix the RIT dye according to package directions. My wooden handles were raw, so I knew that they would soak up the dye. If you have a handle with a sealed finish, just rub it down with sand paper so that the pores of the wood open up.
I used clothes pins to hold the handles in place as they soaked, because they need to sit in the dye for a good length of time. Just check them after 30 minutes to see how they are soaking up the dye. I wound up letting mine soak for two hours.
While they are soaking away, grab your epsom salt and lavender.
Gather your goodies together with a great book for Mom to enjoy while she soaks the cares of the world away. I chose the inspiring “In the Company of Women” by Grace Bonny…but maybe your Mama would love a fantastically trashy romance novel hahaha! Just think of a read that will inspire her or transport her while she takes a “Spa Day” at home.
Materials I used for this project:
- Long wooden handled body brushes (99cent store)
- 1 pack of RIT dye (Navy) (Michael's)
- 1 container of Epsom Salt (99cent store)