The double door base cabinet turned into a giant mess of pots and pans and Tupperware. I need a solution to make it more useable.
I removed the 2x doors and the half shelf that was in the back (useless shelf). There also was a pull out box on the bottom, but you had to open both doors to pull it out and items always fell out making it a challenge to get things.
I added some side supports so I could attach the full extension slides. This is to also fill in the space on each side, and bring the wall flush with the face frame.
Here I am adding one of the 22 inch drawer slides.
I will be using drawers so I needed a cross bar. 2x pocket screws on each end hold it in place... along with a tight friction fit.
Here is the drawer box. It is a simple 1/2 inch plywood construction. Cabinet grade Blonde wood plywood.
It is just glued together held together with long staples using my air gun. To add a little strength, I put a few 1 1/4 inch screws just to help hold it together while the glue dried.
After the glue dried... I put on light oak stain/sealant to protect the inside walls and edges. For the base, I put some white contact paper on the bottom.
Here you can see the drawers installed on the glides. They are 9 inch tall drawers in a 10 1/4 inch opening.
Here you can see the fronts I added. The widest board I could buy was 11 1/4" tall, so that determined the size of the drawers and openings I built.
The bottom holds all of our pots and pans with lids. It is a big improvement over what we had before. I may add some dividers one day, but for now... we can see everything easily.
The top is for Tupperware... I wanted the lids to have their own place... so I added a simple runner on each side... allowing me to friction slide the mini shelf forward and backwards. Sliding the top lets us look underneath to get anything in the back.
We love it! Hope it inspires you.
Materials I used for this project:
- 1/2inch Plywood (Knobs)
- Drawer fronts (Router for edge profile of drawer fronts)